The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine A100 2017 entry applicants

Hi guys. This is for people considering applying to Liverpool for medicine, 2017 entry.Here is some information about the admissions criteria:
https://www.liv.ac.uk/medicine/under...te/admissions/

I'm a resit applicant, with AAB A2 grades. I was looking for a 2017 entry page but didn't find one so...
My stats:
GCSE: 9A* A
AS:AAA
A2:AAB
UKCAT: 4th october
Am I likely to get an interview? Everyone post your stats!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would recommend playing to your GCSE's strengths as Liverpool give A/A* the same amount of points whereas for some places they will give an A* more points than an A which would benefit your fantastic GCSEs, such as Cardiff. Obviously if you really like Liverpool then apply. Most people applying will have AAA. Do you have extenuating circumstances? As a resit applicant you may be better off contacting admissions if you haven't already! Do they accept resits? On their 2017 entry document it says:
'A-levels in three subjects taken at one sitting after 2 years of study at a minimum of AAA.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Orangeflower6
I would recommend playing to your GCSE's strengths as Liverpool give A/A* the same amount of points whereas for some places they will give an A* more points than an A which would benefit your fantastic GCSEs, such as Cardiff. Obviously if you really like Liverpool then apply. Most people applying will have AAA. Do you have extenuating circumstances? As a resit applicant you may be better off contacting admissions if you haven't already! Do they accept resits? On their 2017 entry document it says:
'A-levels in three subjects taken at one sitting after 2 years of study at a minimum of AAA.'

I had an offer from cardiff last year but missed it by getting a B, they are allowing me to reapply. Liverpool allows resits as long as you meet their gcse criteria. As a resit applicant I can also apply to uea, plymouth, exeter and with bmat bsms and lancaster. I don't want to take the bmat again...
Original post by stormer1
I had an offer from cardiff last year but missed it by getting a B, they are allowing me to reapply. Liverpool allows resits as long as you meet their gcse criteria. As a resit applicant I can also apply to uea, plymouth, exeter and with bmat bsms and lancaster. I don't want to take the bmat again...

Yes definitely go with Cardiff if they are allowing you to reapply, it sounds like a great idea!

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/A,Levels,2017,entry.pdf
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/admissions/

These documents may help you find out more about Liverpool admissions if you haven't yet seen them.. Perhaps see how UKCAT goes, if it goes well then there may be no need to consider sitting the BMAT anyway, but it would obviously give you a couple more options if needed. None of those schools are particularly UKCAT heavy so you should be fine without BMAT even if your UKCAT isn't amazing. Good luck! I'm also applying to Liverpool!
Reply 4
Yes definitely go with Cardiff if they are allowing you to reapply, it sounds like a great idea!

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/A,Levels,2017,entry.pdf
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/admissions/

These documents may help you find out more about Liverpool admissions if you haven't yet seen them.. Perhaps see how UKCAT goes, if it goes well then there may be no need to consider sitting the BMAT anyway, but it would obviously give you a couple more options if needed. None of those schools are particularly UKCAT heavy so you should be fine without BMAT even if your UKCAT isn't amazing. Good luck! I'm also applying to Liverpool!

Hi Im definitley applying but I was hoping someone could give me a vague idea about my chances?
I received 1 A* 10 A's and 1 B at gcse and I'm predicted AAA.
My UKCAT was;
650 VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 (680 avg)

PS is decent and I have tons of work experience/extra curriculars
Reply 6
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
Hi Im definitley applying but I was hoping someone could give me a vague idea about my chances?
I received 1 A* 10 A's and 1 B at gcse and I'm predicted AAA.
My UKCAT was;
650 VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 (680 avg)

PS is decent and I have tons of work experience/extra curriculars

As liverpool give the same number of points for A's and A*'s you should get the full 18 points for gcses. Your UKCAT is also pretty good. I think you have a good chance :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by stormer1
As liverpool give the same number of points for A's and A*'s you should get the full 18 points for gcses. Your UKCAT is also pretty good. I think you have a good chance :smile:

How disadvantaged is someone applying with 17 gcse points?
I'm applying 😝 , stats -
GCSEs- 2 A*s 8 As
A2 predictions- A*A*A*
Ukcat - 650

Just wanna do med tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi, I'm about to apply to Liverpool for medicine.

Just thought I'd write a post here :smile:
Definitely keen on applying here. Just wanted to know if anyone can clarify this from their admissions document: "
Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GSCE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement. Any mitigating circumstances should be noted in the personal statement and as appropriate in the academic reference "

Does this include AS resit modules even if they're completed within 2 years? Because it sounds rather unusual, having to mention resits in a personal statement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ninjakam119
Definitely keen on applying here. Just wanted to know if anyone can clarify this from their admissions document: "
Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GSCE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement. Any mitigating circumstances should be noted in the personal statement and as appropriate in the academic reference "

Does this include AS resit modules even if they're completed within 2 years? Because it sounds rather unusual, having to mention resits in a personal statement.

No this does not include AS resit modules only A2 level modules as it states '...resitting advance level examinations...'

Hope this helps.
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be safe? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safe with this option.
Thank you. Also, Liverpool don't look at individual UKCAT sections do they? My VR is pretty shoddy
Original post by parawitch
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be safe? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safe with this option.
Thank you. Also, Liverpool don't look at individual UKCAT sections do they? My VR is pretty shoddy

Liverpool is ps heavy so would not be very safe for anyone as it is subjective, if you like it then apply but with your GCSEs and UKCAT you would be fine for most places except Oxford, and UKCAT heavy such as Newcastle, Southampton etc.
Went yesterday and loved it!

2A*s and 8As
AAA achieved
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Went yesterday and loved it!

2A*s and 8As
AAA achieved

I haven't visited, what's the environment like there?
And did you see any anatomy facilities?
Original post by Lemauricien
I haven't visited, what's the environment like there?
And did you see any anatomy facilities?

Only had time for the medicine lecture as I had to go to work after but it was very nice.
Hello! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Manchester, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham/Sheffield/Liverpool. What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it at Liverpool? What does 'PBL heavy' in terms of student life and work load? Is it an expensive city to live in? Did you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?
My full stats are currently: AS Levels: AAAA (bio,chem,politics, English) Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*) GCSE's: 9A*s, A, B UKCAT: 703.33 avg band 2 TOTAL: 2110 Work Exp: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP surgery and Children's Hospice days. I would be delighted and grateful for any advice as I'm sure you're extremely busy!! Thank you so much!
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Hello! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Manchester, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham/Sheffield/Liverpool. What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it at Liverpool? What does 'PBL heavy' in terms of student life and work load? Is it an expensive city to live in? Did you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?
My full stats are currently: AS Levels: AAAA (bio,chem,politics, English) Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*) GCSE's: 9A*s, A, B UKCAT: 703.33 avg band 2 TOTAL: 2110 Work Exp: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP surgery and Children's Hospice days. I would be delighted and grateful for any advice as I'm sure you're extremely busy!! Thank you so much!

Sheffield would be great for you because they are ranking UKCAT this year. Birmingham also use your UKCAT(30%) and GCSE's(70%), which would be applying to your strengths. If you like Liverpool, apply. The thing is they give A's and A* the same weighting so you have the same score as someone with 9 A's at GCSE (btw you should consider Cardiff too with these GCSE's!), they are also PS heavy which is subjective rather than straight up ranking of UKCAT/GCSE's and they aren't too UKCAT heavy, cut off last year was 625. So Liverpool doesn't really apply to your strengths. If you think your other options are safe, there is no reason why you should not apply though. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off, but I think you could guarantee interviews elsewhere. It's down to you really.
Sheffield would be great for you because they are ranking UKCAT this year. Birmingham also use your UKCAT(30%) and GCSE's(70%), which would be applying to your strengths. If you like Liverpool, apply. The thing is they give A's and A* the same weighting so you have the same score as someone with 9 A's at GCSE (btw you should consider Cardiff too with these GCSE's!), they are also PS heavy which is subjective rather than straight up ranking of UKCAT/GCSE's and they aren't too UKCAT heavy, cut off last year was 625. So Liverpool doesn't really apply to your strengths. If you think your other options are safe, there is no reason why you should not apply though. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off, but I think you could guarantee interviews elsewhere. It's down to you really.

OK Thanks I will bear all of that in mind! It is definitely good to 'apply smart' to maximise your chances so perhaps I will explore other options. Liverpool is one of the only UK cities ive managed to visit and I quite liked it ahah. Edinburgh would be the best, but apparently its quite expensive. Birmingham and Glasgow are my other hopeful options currently. Thanks for all your advice, if I can be any help to you let me know! Where are you applying/ have applied to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending