The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

My boyfriend has gone to uni this weekend and omg I'm so jealous and I can't wait.

Name: Stella
Course: Japanese/Japanese Studies (with year abroad, obvs)
Where? Cambridge, Edinburgh, Sheffield, SOAS, Durham.
AS grades+Subjects: AAAA in English Language, Maths, Chinese and Religious Studies (dropped RS)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A*A* I think but it's a bit lofty! I'm also doing the EPQ.
Offers?
Sheffield ABB
Durham AAB
SOAS AAB
(edited 7 years ago)
Name: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Course: Physics/Theoretical Physics/Mathematical Physics
Where? Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol, KCL
AS grades+Subjects: ABBB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively.
A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*AA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively.
Offers?
Name: Honor (thevamps99xo to you)
Course: Media. I know it sounds like a Mickey Mouse degree but trust me, it's not :biggrin: the amount of stuff you have to know is ridiculous
Where? So far I've put Nottingham Trent down as one of my choices. As time goes on I'll make my other 4, but Trent ain't going anywhere :smile:
AS grades+Subjects: DEE in Sociology (was only 6 marks off a C), Media Studies (resitting the AS exam in May 2017) and E in Language and Literature. I know they're not that good, but a lot of people in my year got Us so had to leave.
A2 Predicted/Achieved: CCC in those subjects. Will update on 17th August 2017.
Offers? Will update as soon as I get one.
Name: everythingice
Course: Psychology
Where? Bath, KCL, Manchester, Birmingham, UCL, Liverpool, Cardiff (still trying to make up my mind with the last 3 :biggrin:)
AS grades+Subjects: A in Maths and because of the linear A-Level thing I only had mocks in my other 2 subjects- Biology and Chemistry where I got As. :smile:
A2 Predicted/Achieved: AAA with A in EPQ but may ask to raise some to A*s but I shall see.
Offers? Am yet to apply.
Course: Natural Science/Biology
Where: Queens, Bath, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh
AS grades: AAAAa (Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Physics, Biology
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A* (Dropping further maths)
Offers: Applying next week!
Name: Jessica
Course:Criminology
Where: Sheffield, York, Leeds, Bangor, South Wales
Grades:MM
Predicted: DMM-MMM
Offers:h:aven't applied just yet
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Name: Chantelle
Course: Dietetics
Where? Nottingham, Chester, Hertfordshire, Surrey + Cardiff Met
AS grades+Subjects: Biology (B), Psychology (B), Chemistry (C), Art (C)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: AAB
Offers? Haven't applied yet :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Gogregg
Name: George
Course: Medicine! :biggrin:
Where? Definitely applying to UEA and Dundee, but I'm going to be choosing from two of BSMS, Newcastle and Barts and the London
AS grades+Subjects: AAAA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths :h:
A2 Predicted/Achieved: I don't know for certain, but probably A*A*A*, I'm also taking on EPQ, but I don't know what I'll be predicted for that :dontknow:
Offers? Hopefully I'll have at least one :hide:

Good luck with the applications, everyone! :biggrin: It's finally time! :woo:

What's everyone looking forward to the most, if anything, about university?

Personally, I really am looking forward to studying my course (goes without saying really :colondollar:) but also the fact that I'll be far away from home, away from my parents. I'll be independant, I'll be doing what I want, and that excites me so much. It scares me a bit too, but I know that's a good thing that I'm scared :lol:

thats greaaat . Im applying to med too but i dont really know the steps so im hoping u could give tips . 🤗
Original post by lamayo
thats greaaat . Im applying to med too but i dont really know the steps so im hoping u could give tips . 🤗

What do you need help with? :h:
Reply 89
Original post by Princepieman
If you have any Qs once I get there lemme know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im applying this year . But im doing full A levels so i dont have any AS grades to apply with .Im applying through UCAS . where do they ask for ur predicted grades
Original post by lamayo
im applying this year . But im doing full A levels so i dont have any AS grades to apply with .Im applying through UCAS . where do they ask for ur predicted grades

They go on your subject references from your tutors, apparently. That's what I've heard so you don't get/have to enter them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Name: Dora
Course: English
Where? Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Exeter
Final exam (A-level equivalent) results from 2014: 5 5 5 5 5 5 (that's 6 A*s/As)
Hungarian lit and lang 83%
history 80%
music 100%
German lit and lang 80%
German ethnic minority studies 80%
English (higher level) 100%

A2 predictions: none, but I'm hoping to take the CIE A-level in English literature in May. (Whether I'll be able to take it or not will depend on the exam board and our exam centres. I'm blind, which makes things difficult.) I've contacted all my unis and they were all very understanding. :smile: I'm preparing for the exam with a tutor.
Offers? none yet, but I've sent in my application already, so fingers crossed!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by Gogregg
What do you need help with? :h:

ummm i wanted to know if i can apply without my AS grades and which universities in uk have high acceptance rate for international students
Original post by lamayo
ummm i wanted to know if i can apply without my AS grades and which universities in uk have high acceptance rate for international students

Did you not take AS-Levels? If so, it will be completely fine, and a lot of people will be in the same situation.
If you have done AS-Levels, you have to declare your grades, unless your school hasn't cached them in.

I don't really know much about the international rates, if I'm honest. I know that UCLan does an international student only medicine course if that would interest you?

I think it's more a matter of applying to your strengths as opposed to trying to play the statistics, since what is very competitive one year may be less competitive the next year because it was so competitive the previous year, so it's a pointless strategy really. If you have very good GCSEs (or equivalent) then apply to GCSE heavy universities, if you have a very good UKCAT, apply to UKCAT heavy universities.

That said, I think the London med schools have more seats for international students, but, as a result, they get more international applicants.
Name: Umz
Course: Maths
Where? Still deciding
AS grades+Subjects: BBBB Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics
A2 Predicted/Achieved: AAB Maths, Biology and Chemistry
Offers? Haven't applied yet or done a ps
Reply 95
Original post by Gogregg
Did you not take AS-Levels? If so, it will be completely fine, and a lot of people will be in the same situation.
If you have done AS-Levels, you have to declare your grades, unless your school hasn't cached them in.

I don't really know much about the international rates, if I'm honest. I know that UCLan does an international student only medicine course if that would interest you?

I think it's more a matter of applying to your strengths as opposed to trying to play the statistics, since what is very competitive one year may be less competitive the next year because it was so competitive the previous year, so it's a pointless strategy really. If you have very good GCSEs (or equivalent) then apply to GCSE heavy universities, if you have a very good UKCAT, apply to UKCAT heavy universities.

That said, I think the London med schools have more seats for international students, but, as a result, they get more international applicants.

ooh i dont have my AS grades yet . im doing my AS in november . Will my igs and predicted grades and ukcat do ??
Original post by lamayo
ooh i dont have my AS grades yet . im doing my AS in november . Will my igs and predicted grades and ukcat do ??

It should do :h:
If you're really worried, email the admissions department of the universities you're interested in and see what they say, but I'm sure it will be fine :biggrin:

What's your UKCAT score like? Will you be doing BMAT? :h:
Hi all, thought I would make a new thread for 2017 applicants. I feel like we would all like to know others experiences of applying and when people are hearing back!
Hi, great idea! I submitted my application yesterday, have you sent yours off?
Reply 99
Hi All,

I sent my application in the day after applications opened. I haven't heard anything as yet and this Wednesday will be three weeks to the day, fingers are crossed!!! Good luck with your applications and I will update the thread if and when I have news!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest