The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsmad123
Brighton is all about high BMAT (BMAT cut off)
Lancaster is meeting BMAT cut off and passing the PS stage
UCL is EVERTHING on the UCAS form lol
So basically, the above 3 unis require a very good bmat, if you a confident, go for it!

This is leeds scoring system:
1) GCSE score out of 27 points (A*=3 points, A=2 points, B= 1 point) 40% of applicants gained 27/27 last year
2) 8 points for 3 predicted A's
3) 5 points for BMAT. Top 20% of those applied to leeds receive 5/5, next 20% receive 4/5
This makes up an academic score out of 40. The top 1000 scoring applicants have their personal statement reviewed from which, 580ish get interviewed.

Thanks so much! I was looking around for the Leeds system. So in total its a score of all three sections, not a cut off to proceed to the next section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Thanks so much! I was looking around for the Leeds system. So in total its a score of all three sections, not a cut off to proceed to the next section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. And there is an academic score out of 40 to proceed to the next section. I think it will be around 36-37/40. So technically there is a cut off to proceed to next stage.
Once you are in the next stage is all about personal statement!
No problem. And there is an academic score out of 40 to proceed to the next section. I think it will be around 36-37/40. So technically there is a cut off to proceed to next stage.
Once you are in the next stage is all about personal statement!

Thanks! By any chance, do you know the selection system for UEA? I find it a bit vague when I search it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! By any chance, do you know the selection system for UEA? I find it a bit vague when I search it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sorry i don't because i never even researched them as they want an A in english and i got a B lol!!
I know all the unis that want a B though.
Btw phone them up and keep on asking questions, they will tell u everything. Some unis i phoned up 5 times haha
Im sorry i don't because i never even researched them as they want an A in english and i got a B lol!!
I know all the unis that want a B though.
Btw phone them up and keep on asking questions, they will tell u everything. Some unis i phoned up 5 times haha

Ahh no worries! Thanks anyway! You seem to know a lot! I assume mean A in English GCSE?
Where are you considering to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emelinaw
On the Bristol website it says they require a minimum of 2 weeks experience in a caring environment. Does anyone know how they would enforce this - we don't have to fill out a supplementary form or write specific dates on the personal statement? Is it a strict rule that they will ask you to prove to them or is it more of just a guideline?

If you get given an interview, you will fill out a volunteering form where you would put down details of your various work experience placements. I think most unis do this if not all just to check you havent lied or anything on your ps . :smile:
Original post by 123456789qwerty
Hi,
Could someone give me some advice?

UKCAT:
average 747
Band 2

4 As at a level in Chemistry, Maths, Biology and German.
7 A* 1A 3Bs at GCSE

2 weeks shadowing a cardio-thoracic surgeon in pap worth.
2 weeks in a GP practice.
3 months volunteering in a care home.
Tutor students in maths.
DofE.
Grade 6 piano and violin.
Football and tennis teams.

Im thinking of applying leeds, Nottingham, newcastle and brighten-sussex. Are these wise choices? would you recommend elsewhere?

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

You have a great chance at Nottingham and Newcastle, the BMAT Unis depends in your BMAT of course
Please advise, I do not know where to apply, am saturated with scrutinising admissions policies. Objective advice please...
GCSE: 9 A*, 1 A
AS: A (maximum UMS, taking through to A2) and A (dropping)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 747 (average), Band 1
Lots of work experience and E.C
Not quite sure if I should do BMAT?

Thank you
Original post by v.confused
Please advise, I do not know where to apply, am saturated with scrutinising admissions policies. Objective advice please...
GCSE: 9 A*, 1 A
AS: A (maximum UMS, taking through to A2) and A (dropping)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 747 (average), Band 1
Lots of work experience and E.C
Not quite sure if I should do BMAT?

Thank you

Mate, you genuinely can apply anywhere.

Obviously tailor to your strengths ( which seems to be everything ) but you don't need to sit the BMAT your current stats are more than enough to nearly guarantee 4 interviews.
Ahh no worries! Thanks anyway! You seem to know a lot! I assume mean A in English GCSE?
Where are you considering to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks all i know about UEA is its 50% weighting between GCSE and UKCAT but i have no idea how points system works. And yup!
Ermmm i looking at liverpool, exeter, leeds, plymouth, st georges or brighton. What about you?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Mate, you genuinely can apply anywhere.

Obviously tailor to your strengths ( which seems to be everything ) but you don't need to sit the BMAT your current stats are more than enough to nearly guarantee 4 interviews.

Thanks HopelessMedic, appreciate your reply. Like everyone else, I'm so bogged down with it all and can't see the wood for the trees! Was thinking Manchester, QMUL, ?Notts', ? Kings.....so far. Not sure about my UCAS Tariff for QMUL, they are not that clear about what they will allow Tariff- wise (points I achieve/ put in in the UCAS calculator won't necessarily be accepted by QMUL, but are accepted by UCAS...v.confusing).
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
Original post by v.confused
Thanks HopelessMedic, appreciate your reply. Like everyone else, I'm so bogged down with it all and can't see the wood for the trees! Was thinking Manchester, QMUL, ?Notts', ? Kings.....so far. Not sure about my UCAS Tariff for QMUL, they are not that clear about what they will allow Tariff- wise (points I achieve/ put in in the UCAS calculator won't necessarily be accepted by QMUL, but are accepted by UCAS...v.confusing).
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

QMUL is good if you have extra qualifications, but I think 3A*s would suffice.

There are honestly loads more places where you would be nearly guaranteed an interview, Cardiff for example as you would score full and also Bham.
Original post by HopelessMedic
QMUL is good if you have extra qualifications, but I think 3A*s would suffice.

There are honestly loads more places where you would be nearly guaranteed an interview, Cardiff for example as you would score full and also Bham.

Hi, was thinking about Cardiff but they are inundated with applications because of low UKCAT requirement, so it would be a wasted application (with a respectable UKCAT). B'ham is a good idea (but altho' I am predicted 3 A* I don't really want the additional pressure of the A* requirement....).
Original post by xxxsbxxx
does anyone know how much emphasis liverpool put on personal statement? and I know nottingham scores it but would a strong ukcat with 100% gcse score be enough to make up for a weaker PS? just worried because personal statement is so subjective but I have a good ukcat, and I'm unsure about these two choices

I know that they have an academic screening where they look at GCSE's and UKCAT and then they have a non academic screening where they look at your personal statement to decide who to invite to interview, so you would have to pass the non academic screening to be invited to interview but I have no idea how much emphasis is placed on the personal statement itself.
Just sent my application and paid, off to careers advisor now! Crazy! Applied for Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and Birmingham :redface:
Original post by isabella1999
Just sent my application and paid, off to careers advisor now! Crazy! Applied for Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and Birmingham :redface:

I'm applying to Birmingham too! Good Luck!

Same (although I have to bring a cheque to school tomorrow but my school 's already paid for me) and Good luck!
Original post by Bright_Gift
I'm applying to Birmingham too! Good Luck!

Thanks! WHere else are you applying?
Original post by Earth1
Same (although I have to bring a cheque to school tomorrow but my school 's already paid for me) and Good luck!

Ah okay makes sense! Went quite ambitious with my choices this year but if it doesn't go well will reapply smart next year but just going with heart for now :colondollar: where else are you applying?
Thanks! WHere else are you applying?

Also applying to Imperial, Leeds and Southhampton:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending