The Student Room Group

Bio veterinary to Vet Med

I don't think my A levels are going to get the grades I need to go directly to doing Veterinary Medicine so I like the idea of doing bio veterinary science then moving onto becoming a vet and I just have a couple of questions...

Is anyone doing the bioveterinary science anywhere?
Where? Is it good?

If I choose to do this route what loans would I get, some say if I did a second degree I would get another/extended loan but some say I wouldn't, anyone know the right answer?

Thank you :smile:
Resit your A-levels, don't waste your time and money going the graduate route.
You would only get the maintenance loan which means you would have to pay all the tuition fees yourself.
£9000 (For English unis) or £26,000ish (Glasgow and Edinburgh) every year for 4-5 years.

Have you looked at the RVC's gateway course?

But seriously... Better to take a gap year or two and apply to VetMed, than having to find a way to fund your second degree.
I'm going the graduate route, I'm 3rd year Biochemistry student at the moment and I'm only doing this because I couldn't resit my exams and didn't have any other option. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this if they could avoid it.

Good Luck
Reply 2
I agree with Nessie162, I'm studying post-grad without a loan and due to high fees I study abroad.
Take a gap year, resit your A Levels, get as much work experience in a vet as you can and you'll be much better set up.

Also just to add, even as a graduate they will still look at your GCSE and A Level grades.
Original post by zoebrown140799
I don't think my A levels are going to get the grades I need to go directly to doing Veterinary Medicine so I like the idea of doing bio veterinary science then moving onto becoming a vet and I just have a couple of questions...

Is anyone doing the bioveterinary science anywhere?
Where? Is it good?

If I choose to do this route what loans would I get, some say if I did a second degree I would get another/extended loan but some say I wouldn't, anyone know the right answer?

Thank you :smile:

I did Biovet. To be brutally honest I hated it as it wasn't what I wanted to do and it was a long three years for me.

No loan available - you have to fund the £9000 a year yourself entirely. The bank won't give you a loan and it's incredible difficult to secure funds in other ways without bankrupting yourself before you graduate.

I personally wouldn't advise the post grad route, it's not a great idea, it's a long way round and it's incredibly expensive. I didn't have the option to re- sit a levels because I didn't do them so it was a last resort for me but unless it's a last resort exhaust all other options before going for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank You all for replying :smile:

If you think that doing Biovet to vet isn't such a good idea, what about animal management level 3 extended diploma?
If I took a gap year then applied would they still look at my A levels or would they look more at what I did during that gap year? Would I then get a loan?
Original post by zoebrown140799
Thank You all for replying :smile:

If you think that doing Biovet to vet isn't such a good idea, what about animal management level 3 extended diploma?
If I took a gap year then applied would they still look at my A levels or would they look more at what I did during that gap year? Would I then get a loan?

You still need either chemistry at A level or As level to apply with that. I did a national diploma in animal management instead of A levels but when I applied I didn't need the As level which is required today. It'll take you 2 years to do the diploma but it's a much better idea than doing a degree in Biovet first and then end up with no funding for a second degree. The moment you complete one degree student finance won't pay for a second so it's probably a better option for you and I've advised a student before and they are doing really well now and applying this year.

For Liverpool for example you would need to get DDD in that diploma and have Chem at As level grade B. For RVC you would need to get D*D*D* however it doesn't look like you need the chemistry at A level, but you would be limiting yourself to applying to just one uni which will reduce your chances significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Lizziefickling
I did Biovet. To be brutally honest I hated it as it wasn't what I wanted to do and it was a long three years for me.

No loan available - you have to fund the £9000 a year yourself entirely. The bank won't give you a loan and it's incredible difficult to secure funds in other ways without bankrupting yourself before you graduate.

I personally wouldn't advise the post grad route, it's not a great idea, it's a long way round and it's incredibly expensive. I didn't have the option to re- sit a levels because I didn't do them so it was a last resort for me but unless it's a last resort exhaust all other options before going for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry to reply to an old thread but could you have not done A-levels from scratch? I only ask because I also done the BTEC in animal management and I am considering either doing A levels from scratch or doing an access course to apply to vet school
Original post by Rugrat95
Hi, sorry to reply to an old thread but could you have not done A-levels from scratch? I only ask because I also done the BTEC in animal management and I am considering either doing A levels from scratch or doing an access course to apply to vet school

I could have done, however I chose not to. I did as levels twice and didn't get on with them, therefore I had already wasted 2 years on a levels and didn't particularly want to then go back and attempt them again. I'd probably suggest doing whatever A levels the vet schools require alongside the BTEC if you've got the right grades in that rather than doing an access course, if you look at each uni they have different entry requirements alongside the BTEC, they've changed since i applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending