The Student Room Group

Advice on applying to Warwick for maths and STEP

Hiya,

I'm a y13 sending off my application in a week or so for maths at the following unis:
Oxford, Warwick, Bath, Lancaster, Exeter

I was wondering whether it was worth sitting STEP for Warwick or not? I'm taking 4 a-levels, and I'm fairly confident I'll get A*s in maths and further maths and probaby physics too, then chemistry probably an A but possibly an A*. My predicted grades are 4 A*s and I didn't take any ASs (apart from all the core maths modules, which I did well in).

My question is is it worth me sitting STEP? Considering it's in the middle of the A level period it may distract me, and I hope my grades will be good enough to achieve one of the Warwick standard offers not including STEP (A*A*AA or A*A*A*)? My concern is that not sitting STEP might make me less likely to get me an offer - do I have to declare it on my UCAS application and if so would not sitting it negatively impact my chances of an offer? Or is it worth me just sitting STEP to be safe in case I drop an A level grade?

Thanks for wading through all of this, any help would be appreciated!
Original post by watermelon99
Hiya,

I'm a y13 sending off my application in a week or so for maths at the following unis:
Oxford, Warwick, Bath, Lancaster, Exeter

I was wondering whether it was worth sitting STEP for Warwick or not? I'm taking 4 a-levels, and I'm fairly confident I'll get A*s in maths and further maths and probaby physics too, then chemistry probably an A but possibly an A*. My predicted grades are 4 A*s and I didn't take any ASs (apart from all the core maths modules, which I did well in).

My question is is it worth me sitting STEP? Considering it's in the middle of the A level period it may distract me, and I hope my grades will be good enough to achieve one of the Warwick standard offers not including STEP (A*A*AA or A*A*A*)? My concern is that not sitting STEP might make me less likely to get me an offer - do I have to declare it on my UCAS application and if so would not sitting it negatively impact my chances of an offer? Or is it worth me just sitting STEP to be safe in case I drop an A level grade?

Thanks for wading through all of this, any help would be appreciated!

well if you look at the dates last year you could register for steps right up until may 20th. I decided that I will try and prepare for step assuming I am going to be sitting it. Then if I don't think I will get the required grade I just don't register for it this year and sit it next year.
Im not entirely sure but don't they usually put STEP requirements in an offer?
Warwick usually like people to have taken STEP. I would suggest emailing or phoning them for advice. You could always choose a different choice to replace them who don't require STEP.
Reply 4
Original post by mrsweg59
Im not entirely sure but don't they usually put STEP requirements in an offer?

Their standard offer includes options with and without STEP.

If you don't meet their STEP requirement you need to get an additional A* iirc.

Just checked:

Standard Offer for 2017 Admission: A-Level Students

A* (Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), and grade 2 in STEP,
or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A* (in a third A-level),
or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), A (in a fourth A-level)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending