The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hopeforunderdog
Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and at Andrews. My dream is Edinburgh but think that's a bit too unrealistic but hopefully in with a shot for the others, you?

Aberdeen, Dundee. Since my B is chemistry I don't know if St andrews is a good idea. Plus I don;t have great UKCAT. I got 650 and I don't know if I should go for Edinburgh. I'd be happy to get in anywhere though
Original post by smoggie98
Congrats on your score :smile: I got exactly the same total score and SJT band as you where are you thinking of applying?

Thank you! Well done on yours too! Haha that's quite funny that we got the same 😂 I'm thinking Manchester and Liverpool. My GCSEs are 5 a stars, 3 a's , 1 b so it restricts me a bit and I'm not doing BMAT. I'm considering St George's, keele maybe, I don't know I've got to research everywhere now and try and see where my strengths are, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Thank you! Well done on yours too! Haha that's quite funny that we got the same 😂 I'm thinking Manchester and Liverpool. My GCSEs are 5 a stars, 3 a's , 1 b so it restricts me a bit and I'm not doing BMAT. I'm considering St George's, keele maybe, I don't know I've got to research everywhere now and try and see where my strengths are, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Consider St Georges, Exeter , Liverpool 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my ukcat is officially done with and I couldn't be more relieved.
I got
VR- 590 (lmao)
QR-780
AR- 630
SJT- band 1!!!!!
Average: 667.
Thank you so much to everyone on this thread, I am so grateful for all the help and well wishes everyone gave me 😘😋
Advice:
VR: don't underestimate this section I ran out of time as questions were honestly so hard, I got quite a few true or false can't tell though but wouldn't say they helped much.
QR: so much easier than any mock I'd done, some questions were so simple I wondered if it was correct what I was doing but some were still difficult which I just flagged and guessed.
AR- found this hard as there were lots of partial patterns compared to simple ones, I'd say I got about 45 set A. I was never that good at AR and I had to guess about ten shapes lol.
Good luck to anyone who still has to take their test! After VR even though it was hard, I calmed down massively as I got so focused in the test It distracted me from how I was feeling. Use the DM section to make notes ready for QR and AR. As you can see I only got a band 1 once in my mocks and in the real exam I finished 8 mins early for SJT as I thought I know I won't get a band 1 but anything above a band 4 is okay (I also knew I would start doubting my answers so I finished early which id advise everyone to do for SJT but I got a band 1 can't believe it!! SJT was alright but there were a lot of passages to read compared to the ones in my mocks.
These were my mock scores. I hope it helps someone. :smile:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474557813.370185.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay well done and congratulations! That's a really good score 😊. I've been following your posts for a while, in the non creepiest way 👀 haha, just that I'm literally as stressed as you were and you were asking loads of questions I needed the answers too 😂. Bet it's such a relief now, week today and I'll be free as well 😎.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemauricien
Consider St Georges, Exeter , Liverpool 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I was considering Exeter but I am predicted A*A*A and apparently last year tier 2 wasn't even looked at so I think I'll end up getting a pre interview rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PippaKate
Yay well done and congratulations! That's a really good score 😊. I've been following your posts for a while, in the non creepiest way 👀 haha, just that I'm literally as stressed as you were and you were asking loads of questions I needed the answers too 😂. Bet it's such a relief now, week today and I'll be free as well 😎.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Haha don't worry! I'm glad I managed to help you out 😂 I am so relieved!! Best of luck with yours next week and remember to let me know how you get on! If you have any questions you need answering just send me a message❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Potatoo
That's really good. Done much extra curricular stuff? Sorry mate I am asking too many questions.

Yeah volunteering at a pharmacy for three years now
1 week work experience at the QEU and Victoria hospitals
6 weeks work experience at the Glasgow cardiovascular research centre
Currently volunteering at the royal children's hospital
1 weekat a carehome

So not too much.
Original post by OneAfrica
Yeah volunteering at a pharmacy for three years now
1 week work experience at the QEU and Victoria hospitals
6 weeks work experience at the Glasgow cardiovascular research centre
1 weekat a carehome

So not too much.

That's really good

Posted from TSR Mobile

At GCSE i have 4A* 4A 2B and ive been thinking pretty much same as you but also plymouth and southampton. Do you think our scores are a bit risky for manchester id love to apply there tho
Original post by smoggie98
At GCSE i have 4A* 4A 2B and ive been thinking pretty much same as you but also plymouth and southampton. Do you think our scores are a bit risky for manchester id love to apply there tho

I know last year Manchester wanted 650 so I hope I make it this year as I absolutely love Manchester!its a risk but tbh I'm limited anyway with what uni's I can apply to so I think I'll take it. I'll have to look into Plymouth as don't they use sub section scores for ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know last year Manchester wanted 650 so I hope I make it this year as I absolutely love Manchester!its a risk but tbh I'm limited anyway with what uni's I can apply to so I think I'll take it. I'll have to look into Plymouth as don't they use sub section scores for ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they do you use sub section scores but you'll be more than fine anyway none of your sub section scores are lower than the usual national average.
Oh i thought the manchester ukcat cut off was in the 660s lol i guess then itd be a good desicion for us tbf then not too risky
how could i get a higher score in QR?? that's really bringing my score down :frown:
I'm starting to worry, I was feeling relatively happy about my 610 score and band 1 but after seeing the scores from the past few days I'm starting to worry. I'm a graduate and applying for undergrad dentistry so helping that works in my favour.
Original post by Squishy•
Hey nice score, How many data questions were on QR? Were there a lot of long questions? How did you prepare also.
How did you find Abstract reasoning? Were the patterns similar to medify?
Was Vr harder than medify?

I'd say the VR was about the same as on medify and the practice tests although I didn't do very well.
For QR just don't panic, the graphs are fairly simple A LOT EASIER THAN THE PRACTICE TESTS ON THE WEBSITE***, use Alt+C and instead of pressing the numbers on the screen, use the keyboard to type in the numbers (ensure number lock is on). During decisions making I recommend taking a few minutes to write down any formulae and type in a few calculations to make sure your familiar with the keyboard.

For abstract he patterns are fairly simple, I wouldn't spend too much time on type 3/4 questions until the end or if you get them in <5 seconds. Try not to overcomplicate them and you'll be fine, often they're simple.
Any other Scottish candidates wondering which 4 out of the 5 we should apply to? If anyone has any suggestions reply please.
Original post by OneAfrica

GCHC / Yorkhill by any chance? :colondollar:

Also volunteering at the Royal children's!
So my ukcat is officially done with and I couldn't be more relieved.
I got
VR- 590 (lmao)
QR-780
AR- 630
SJT- band 1!!!!!
Average: 667.
Thank you so much to everyone on this thread, I am so grateful for all the help and well wishes everyone gave me 😘😋
Advice:
VR: don't underestimate this section I ran out of time as questions were honestly so hard, I got quite a few true or false can't tell though but wouldn't say they helped much.
QR: so much easier than any mock I'd done, some questions were so simple I wondered if it was correct what I was doing but some were still difficult which I just flagged and guessed.
AR- found this hard as there were lots of partial patterns compared to simple ones, I'd say I got about 45 set A. I was never that good at AR and I had to guess about ten shapes lol.
Good luck to anyone who still has to take their test! After VR even though it was hard, I calmed down massively as I got so focused in the test It distracted me from how I was feeling. Use the DM section to make notes ready for QR and AR. As you can see I only got a band 1 once in my mocks and in the real exam I finished 8 mins early for SJT as I thought I know I won't get a band 1 but anything above a band 4 is okay (I also knew I would start doubting my answers so I finished early which id advise everyone to do for SJT but I got a band 1 can't believe it!! SJT was alright but there were a lot of passages to read compared to the ones in my mocks.
These were my mock scores. I hope it helps someone. :smile:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474557813.370185.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

WHAAAAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!! THAT IS AMAZING!!!! WELL DONE!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: If I got 667 average I would just be over the darn moon. That genuinely is an amazing score!
I am really worried for VR as it's my worst section, then AR. I get like 500-580 in practices for it :'( But that really is amazing. i am so happy for you and in tears because I only have like 6 days to go!!!!!
Original post by ASTK98
Did my UKCAT today:

VR - 560
QR - 710
AR - 680
SJT - Band 2

Average 650. Decent but nothing groundbreaking really. In terms of the exam itself, yes VR is extremely difficult. I didn't find the passages too long but some of the questions were odd.

QR was as people say, easier than mock exams but not as much as I anticipated - maybe I just drew harder questions though, who knows.

AR was easier than it is on Medify to say the least, I think a pattern from a mock on the UKCAT website came up so do make sure to do all the questions on there.

Nothing else left to say really, I'm glad it's finally over and good luck to everyone else taking the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing score to you too bud!!! You both ended up with really similar scores and really good ones too!

Well done to you both :smile:
Original post by mm_7
how could i get a higher score in QR?? that's really bringing my score down :frown:

Seriously don't worry about so much. QR was my worst section. I used to get 500 for practice and never finished on time. What I did was if I saw a big table or something complicated I skipped. Usually I'd use ALT+N to very quickly look through all the questions and do the easy ones and the ones with less information first and then do the hard ones. I used to get 500ish in practice but in the real thing I got 680(NOT THE BEST BUT THAT'LL DO ME). Seriously don't worry.
One thing I'd say is practice VR
No matter what I do I am struggling to break 600 in VR on MEDIFY!!!!!! MEDIFY IS SUPPOSED TO BE DAMN EASY! HELP :'(
Original post by Nuba123
Lol - when is your UKCAT test?

Next Thursday :'(

Will be done by then :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending