The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Medicine 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eryk_laroche
I score 41/48, and got 4A's at AS level. Do you guys think that I would get an interview???:colondollar::colondollar:

I think/hope so. I think the last two cut off scores was 57 and 58 out of 68, so the highest its been would have been 41/48 (if you work out the percentages). And who knows it may be lower this year.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Ninjakam119
I think/hope so. I think the last two cut off scores was 57 and 58 out of 68, so the highest its been would have been 41/48 (if you work out the percentages). And who knows it may be lower this year.

Do you think it would be lower and why?

I guess GCSE grades have been going down, and UKCAT this year is slightly harder
Original post by eryk_laroche
Do you think it would be lower and why?

I guess GCSE grades have been going down, and UKCAT this year is slightly harder

I have no idea if it will be or not, just speculating, but I'm hoping it will be :smile:
Reply 83

In the 2015 application guidance for Leicester they gave an example of the scoring. I know the scoring has changed but it will give you an idea of the academic standard which made the cut off for interview.

Example scoring for applicants with predicted A Levels: GCSE English Language A = 4 Maths A* = 5 Chemistry A* = 5 Biology A* = 5 Physics A* = 5 Business Studies A = 4 GCSE Total = 28/30
AS Level Chemistry A = 1 Biology A = 1 Maths A = 1 Psychology B = 0 AS Level Total = 3/4 Academic Grand Total = 31/34

With these academics you needed a UKCAT score of 2600 (marginally above average that year) to achieve an overall 57 which was roughly the cut off for interview. If you scored better than average in UKCAT you could drop an A* down to an A in the example, or drop an A down to a B. Of course also now it's based on 8 GCSEs rather than 6 GCSEs plus 4 AS levels.

Extrapolating the example in 2015 with slight adjustment you might say 5 x A* and 3 A's at GCSE, plus 1950 as the scaled down UKCAT. This would score 40.5.

So I came at it from a different angle but reached a similar total to the original post. There are also other factors of course eg: relative difficulty this year of UKCAT etc, but it gives you a rough idea of the ballpark.
Original post by jx2016
A score of 36.5, is that okay?

I only got 38 and I'll probs still apply( ukcat pretty bad :/) Where else you looking at?
Reply 85
So I'm deciding between Leicester and Bristol as my 4th choice and idk what to do :/ I think I would score 43.5 for Leicester? But I never got to visit the Uni at open day. Would that score be ok pls?
Original post by Susi3b
So I'm deciding between Leicester and Bristol as my 4th choice and idk what to do :/ I think I would score 43.5 for Leicester? But I never got to visit the Uni at open day. Would that score be ok pls?

43.5 should be fine if you go for the last few cut off points.
Original post by Susi3b

I think 43.8 will be fine. I am considering Leicester and didn't go to the open day. ughh wish I went to the open day, It would make this decision easier
Reply 88
Original post by Susi3b

It will almost certainly get you an interview at Leicester (reluctant to say guarantee but it's well above the cut off standard for previous years), whereas Bristol is well known for putting a high emphasis on the PS, which can be a subjective assessment. If you're going for other riskier options as your first choices and want to maximise your interviews in case the others don't come off then Leicester use a very formulaic criteria which should get you that outcome. If you really love Bristol, then that may sway you the other way.
Reply 89
Original post by meddad
It will almost certainly get you an interview at Leicester (reluctant to say guarantee but it's well above the cut off standard for previous years), whereas Bristol is well known for putting a high emphasis on the PS, which can be a subjective assessment. If you're going for other riskier options as your first choices and want to maximise your interviews in case the others don't come off then Leicester use a very formulaic criteria which should get you that outcome. If you really love Bristol, then that may sway you the other way.

Oh thank you so much! Yeah I decided to stick with Leicester and hope for the best! My other options are Cardiff, Southampton and St. Georges so not veryy risky j guess? Thank you again for your reply!!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Bright_Gift
I think 43.8 will be fine. I am considering Leicester and didn't go to the open day. ughh wish I went to the open day, It would make this decision easier

Thank you! Also i think i found the trick! Look at leicester uni from google maps street view! Loool i know its no where near to actually going to tbe open day but at least u will be able to sorta navigate around google maps and see how it is! Hahahha ik what a lame idea but no harm in trying it! :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
43.5 should be fine if you go for the last few cut off points.

Thank you for the reassurance! Sorry if its a stupid question but what did u mean by 'go for the last few cut off points' ? Lol sorry i didnt understand oh dear:frown:
Original post by Susi3b
Thank you for the reassurance! Sorry if its a stupid question but what did u mean by 'go for the last few cut off points' ? Lol sorry i didnt understand oh dear:frown:

For example, for the last 2 years you needed 57 and 58 out of 68 to get an interview, and if you work out the percentages you'll be more than okay.
Ukcat= 20/24, gcse= 12/12, a-levels (achieved)=9/12, total= 41/48 Is this safe enough for an interview? I'm aware I'm only a couple of points into last year's cut off.
Thank you
Reply 94
Original post by parawitch
Ukcat= 20/24, gcse= 12/12, a-levels (achieved)=9/12, total= 41/48 Is this safe enough for an interview? I'm aware I'm only a couple of points into last year's cut off.
Thank you

If you read the rest of the thread you will see that based on last year (if it's the same) people are predicting a cut off of 40.5 or 41.0 (see one of my previous posts for the workings).
I've read the thread before anyone says and I'm still trying to decide whether or not Leicester is worth an application for me (I'm trying to decide my 4th option between Leicester and Keele). My ukcat has let me down, as do my A's in 2 of the core subjects at GCSE which must be scored- the rest are A*. With 41.2, how risky do people think this is? May have to go for Keele if I don't have a shot here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Orangeflower6
I've read the thread before anyone says and I'm still trying to decide whether or not Leicester is worth an application for me (I'm trying to decide my 4th option between Leicester and Keele). My ukcat has let me down, as do my A's in 2 of the core subjects at GCSE which must be scored- the rest are A*. With 41.2, how risky do people think this is? May have to go for Keele if I don't have a shot here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well u have 41 not 41.2 to start as it goes up in 0.5s sorry. And its up to you, 41 is a relative risk if past cut offs stay roughly the same but you still have a decent chance so i say go with where u want to be for 5 years
Original post by chrisdale98
Well u have 41 not 41.2 to start as it goes up in 0.5s sorry. And its up to you, 41 is a relative risk if past cut offs stay roughly the same but you still have a decent chance so i say go with where u want to be for 5 years

Ah right I didn't realise that, my UKCAT was unfortunately 1920 so I just divided by 100 and added my GCSE's. I'm not sure what to do at all. Thanks for replying!
Reply 98
Original post by Orangeflower6
Ah right I didn't realise that, my UKCAT was unfortunately 1920 so I just divided by 100 and added my GCSE's. I'm not sure what to do at all. Thanks for replying!

Well keele do full on pbl, if youre not bothered by that and have a load of volunteering then apply there. If not then apply leicester
Original post by chrisdale98
Well keele do full on pbl, if youre not bothered by that and have a load of volunteering then apply there. If not then apply leicester

I have almost 200 hours and counting for volunteering. However, I much prefer Leicester and the R and R form for Keele seems more subjective that a definite 41/48 score, but if I don't have a shot its probably not worth it. I'll have a think..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending