The Student Room Group

Classics 2017... with no Latin A-Level?

Hi I'm currently studying Chemistry, Psychology, Classics and Welsh Baccalaureate (unfortunately that's compulsory). I was wondering what unis offer the best courses for no prior knowledge of Latin/Greek. Also, I was wondering how to prepare for a Classics interview and make my personal statement super tailored to it. I did want to do medicine but then did that reversal thing and am now doing a typical humanities degree. A lot of my 'experience' therefore isn't relevant. Ugh, I feel a bit lost hahah. Thanks x
Hi louise124, your A-levels sound great and really interesting! I've just sent my UCAS application for Classical Studies and I don't have a Latin A-level either. If you haven't already sent your application then maybe this would be something you could consider. Classical Studies requires no previous knowledge of Latin or Greek, but allows you to begin one or both of them from beginners level if you wish. I hope this helps!

Original post by louise124
Hi I'm currently studying Chemistry, Psychology, Classics and Welsh Baccalaureate (unfortunately that's compulsory). I was wondering what unis offer the best courses for no prior knowledge of Latin/Greek. Also, I was wondering how to prepare for a Classics interview and make my personal statement super tailored to it. I did want to do medicine but then did that reversal thing and am now doing a typical humanities degree. A lot of my 'experience' therefore isn't relevant. Ugh, I feel a bit lost hahah. Thanks x
Original post by louise124

Some universities do classics courses that will teach you Latin/Greek from scratch so it's worth really checking the courses and emailing them if you're not sure. Good luck!
It depends where you want to study. Unless it's Oxbridge, most Classics courses won't interview you, and IIRC even Oxbridge allows you to start without an A-Level in Latin or Greek. Most other Russell Group universities are well equipped for people like yourself who don't have the languages and will offer special intensive courses in 1st year.

Of course, the success of such courses depends entirely on the student and a lot of them are contact-hour heavy. I have taught students who have had good intentions which have slipped away in the first week or so, and therefore they fall very behind very quickly and struggle to catch up to the rest of the group.

The best thing to do is to check course guides and contact the departments themselves if you are still not sure. Best of luck with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending