The Student Room Group

Uni halls flatmates taking my stuff

I have been living in uni halls for nearly a week and already my flatmates have been using my stuff, I have a mental health condition which means this causes me anxiety. So I've decided to move all of it to my room and take what I'm using into the kitchen when I'm using it and back to my room when I'm done with it. Anyone else done this (I have moved some of my food too, like my cereal and some snacks. And my blackcurrent squash as it was half empty yesterday, today it was nearly empty so clearly they've been having it. I wouldn't mind as much if they asked. It's the fact they aren't asking!
Confront them? idk sorri
Original post by maryling1997
I have been living in uni halls for nearly a week and already my flatmates have been using my stuff, I have a mental health condition which means this causes me anxiety. So I've decided to move all of it to my room and take what I'm using into the kitchen when I'm using it and back to my room when I'm done with it. Anyone else done this (I have moved some of my food too, like my cereal and some snacks. And my blackcurrent squash as it was half empty yesterday, today it was nearly empty so clearly they've been having it. I wouldn't mind as much if they asked. It's the fact they aren't asking!

Pepper spray is legal, I think. If not, it's not hard to source.
Reply 3
OK here is an old trick to educate your flatmates.

Bring the issue to the open and tell them that it is not OK. I had similar problem with a flatmate once and we discussed it, he saw my point.

Otherwise mix your squash with laxatives. That will teach them a lesson

good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
And my blackcurrent squash as it was half empty yesterday, today it was nearly empty so clearly they've been having it. I wouldn't mind as much if they asked. It's the fact they aren't asking!

Oh, you're one of those "blackcurrent squash half empty" kinda blokes?
I kept most of my stuff in my room during first year, simply because we only had one tiny cupboard each. I have no clue if my flatmates did the same or not.
how much squash do you drink?

Hello :smile:,

It's a common thing to happen if you're in a shared kitchen but at the same time, if you haven't told them that you aren't comfortable with them using your stuff, they aren't to know. Sure, I understand that is should be general courtesy to ask to use your stuff but university students have a different life style. I had a similar experience at the beginning of my first year, I moved some of my stuff but then actually spoke to my flatmates and was like I don't mind you using stuff, just ask.
I know it causes you anxiety and it's horrible but it won't change if you don't say anything - don't be confrontational just politely tell them how you feel.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8

I used to do that, as we had someone in our flat who kept stealing food and stuff from the kitchen. That person would even take plates/cutlery/pans (to their room) and bring them back dirty after a week+. bleh

I used to keep all my kitchen and cooking stuff in my room (I didn't have much) and some food (Cereals, fruits, honey etc)
Reply 9
Use theirs
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
how much squash do you drink?

Sounds like it'll be none if he doesn't hide it soon.
To avoid confrontation, buy UHT milk and keep it in your room. Even better, multipacks of single servings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DrSocSciences
To avoid confrontation, buy UHT milk and keep it in your room. Even better, multipacks of single servings.
UHT milk, white water we call it
it's squash... chill

Quick Reply

Latest