The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I am starting my course (EIE) at Imperial this October. If you have any questions about the application process, subjects or interviews feel free to ask me. Good luck with all your applications.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Is it true that there's loads of international students at imperial that are really cliquey and make it difficult to make friends?
Intended subject: Aeronautics (Meng)

A2 Predictions: A*(achieved) A*A
AS Grades: AAAC
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAABBB

Extracurricular: 2 week work experience at an electronics company, flight training, UK Space Design Competition finalist (hosted by Imperial), invented 3 axes lego (patent pending).
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Is it true that there's loads of international students at imperial that are really cliquey and make it difficult to make friends?

There are a lot of international students I think slightly more than UK students according to their stats but they are all looking for friends and so it should be alright !
Reply 144
Applying for biomedical engineering.
GCSE: 5A* 3A B C ( they matter far less for uni applications than most people here seem to think. The personal statement and AS levels are much larger factors in getting an interview and then the interview is the main decider)
AS levels: AAAA in Maths, FM, physics and chemistry.
A2(predicted):A*A*A maths,phys,FM
Extra-curricular:
Weizmann safecracking competition
Shadowing PhD students doing research for a week at imperial.
Prefect- give physics, maths and science help to younger kids for 2-3 hours a week
Shotokan karate - achieved black belt and now teach.
Spent 50+ hours working on stripping down and rebuilding a land rover, speedboat, Vauxhall and mg which where school run projects.
Biomedical engineering Headstart course at QMUL
Intended subject: Computer Science

GCSE grades: 2 A*, 4 A, 6 C

AS-level: Maths (MEI): 270/300 UMS (A)

A-level predictions:

Maths: A*
Further Maths (AS): A
Economics: A*
Physics: A*

Extracurricular:

- Founded sixth form's first comp sci. club (first student-run club to be promoted to an official school society)

- Have taught differential equations, topology, programming languages, compilers, hardware to my peers. Also led 20+ people to write their first program in C++

- Written countless programs - started with calculators and equation solvers; quickly progressed into game development in UE4

- Currently working on a project which analyses a real-time video feed and selects music based on lighting information (using OpenCV)

- On my way to finishing CLRS' 'Introduction to Algorithms'

- IT intern for French, multinational petroleum engineering company for a month. Shout out to nepotism

Hopefully my predictions, personal statement (which I've worked on for quite literally years) and extracurricular make up for my sh** GCSEs and maths UMS, and also the fact that I'm only doing AS FM. May even consider doing STEP 1 to ameliorate the whole thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Intended subject: Computer Science

GCSE grades: 2 A*, 4 A, 6 C

AS-level: Maths (MEI): 270/300 UMS (A)

Hopefully my predictions, personal statement (which I've worked on for quite literally years) and extracurricular make up for my sh** GCSEs and maths UMS, and also the fact that I'm only doing AS FM. May even consider doing STEP 1 to ameliorate the whole thing.

270/300 is by no means a bad ums and
That sheer amount of relevant extra-curricular stuff as well as your predictions should be enough to get the interview which from what you've written here you should ace what with your previous experience in the subject.
I have a brother studying EEE at imperial and he says it was definitely his interview that got him the offer. He only had 3A*s at GCSE
Original post by kyconny
Hey, sorry this is 4 weeks late, I was just browsing this thread for shits and giggles.

I'm a joint maths and compsci fresher this year and I had a similar profile to you (if not slightly worse), 2A* 3A 2B 2C at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A*A.

What I will say is that for the DoC at least (who handled my application) poor GCSE's simply weren't a factor in my application. I asked my interviewer and he said "yeah well you are making up for it now, it isn't a problem".

Obviously your application will be handled by the DoM rather than the DoC because you are doing a straight maths degree so it will be slightly different, but I would say that you shouldn't be overly concerned :smile: Good luck.

Hi, I also want to the joint maths and comp sci course,

Did you have to sit the MAT exam for imperial?
And did they include STEP in your offer?

Thanks
Original post by QuantumPotato
Intended subject: Aeronautics (Meng)

A2 Predictions: A*(achieved) A*A
AS Grades: AAAC
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*AAABBB

Extracurricular: 2 week work experience at an electronics company, flight training, UK Space Design Competition finalist (hosted by Imperial), invented 3 axes lego (patent pending).

Are you only doing 2 A levels this year?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Are you only doing 2 A levels this year?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The achieved A* is not official, but I have everything needed. So officially I'm still doing 3 but is studying most of the FPM modules
I've remarked my Physics and I've gotten an A* prediction in Physics now :biggrin: Now my prediction is A*A*A*A* :3 But my maths is only 575/600 :frown: (Could've gotten 597/600 but made so many careless mistakes like 3x3=root 3 XD)
Reply 151
Original post by nonametosee
I've remarked my Physics and I've gotten an A* prediction in Physics now :biggrin: Now my prediction is A*A*A*A* :3 But my maths is only 575/600 :frown: (Could've gotten 597/600 but made so many careless mistakes like 3x3=root 3 XD)

It's the general consensus among those taking maths at my school that the one most likely to make those sort of mistakes are the ones who do the best. If it makes you feel any better, I've already dropped more than 25 ums on maths and I haven't taken the a2 yet. Also, we've had mistakes along the lines of writing out v^2=u^2+2as at the top of the page then using v=u+2as 4 lines lower down, whilst at the same time saying 5+2= 25.

It's also a new one for me, I'm usually thinking results that other people consider amazing are not good enough yet there are loads of people here worrying about if grades I could only hope for will be enough.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nonametosee

Careless mistakes are the worst! I remember last year I redid a C4 question 3 times and got it wrong every time until I realised I kept writing 5+7=9. I also lost a mark in S1 because I was sure that 7 is greater than 11. In my actual C4 exam I dropped a mark because I dropped a minus sign. Another thing I did a lot (but this was usually in physics/chemistry) is somehow round wrong for example if the question wanted 2 decimal places and the answer was something like 2.6789 I would round the 3rd digit and just drop the second?? So I'd write 2.69 instead of 2.68... It was always so frustrating!
Original post by Firefly13
When I applied for Biology my predicted grades were AAA (with an A in the extra AS Level I picked up in Year 13)

If you were interested in applying for Biology, I'm a final year student now so if you have any questions about Biology at Imperial then please feel free to ask me :h:.

I am so glad that you responded. Can you please give me all the details, i am trying to decide whether to take biology or chemistry. Thank you so much in advance! :smile:
It's no problem at all! I'll send you a PM now :smile:

Original post by anemoneblanda
I am so glad that you responded. Can you please give me all the details, i am trying to decide whether to take biology or chemistry. Thank you so much in advance! :smile:
Original post by GarlicBread01
Hi, I also want to the joint maths and comp sci course,

Did you have to sit the MAT exam for imperial?
And did they include STEP in your offer?

Thanks

The MAT exam isn't required for JMC, my offer didn't include STEP however I have heard that a significant amount of the JMC offers do.
Original post by kyconny
The MAT exam isn't required for JMC, my offer didn't include STEP however I have heard that a significant amount of the JMC offers do.

What were your AS grades and A2 Predictions?
Also if you didn't need to do STEP, did they say you have to get A*A*A* or something?
Hello everyone, so I an EU student and I am a Physics Freshers this year, fell free to ask me anything about the application process and life at ICL :smile:
GCSE: 4A*s,4As,4Bs

AS(most of my exams were internal, so here are external ones):
A - maths
B- Chemistry(dropped)
C - further maths(applied for special consideration as I was in hospital before M2 exam as well as having a seizure)

A-level predicted grades:
A*A in maths and further,
A in economics
B in physics

Extracurricular:

-learnt C++ by myself through books and open source tutorials like MIT opencourseware and learncpp.com

-coded an app in Android Studio with Java called "balloon poppers" for play store. I didn't make much profit though.

-Took part in YPI and won 3000 pounds for my chosen charity momentum.

-took part in ludum dare 35, creating a game in C++ with SFML library.

-got a silver crest award for creating a rhythm game with 4 other members, which we presented to the British Science Association.

do I have a chance or should I not bother?
For maths with a year in europe, do you get to choose where you go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending