The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bright_Gift
Also applying to Imperial, Leeds and Southhampton:smile:

OH nice! I really liked imperial but opted not to go for two bmats as it's hard :frown: good luck!
Original post by xxxsbxxx
does anyone know how much emphasis liverpool put on personal statement? and I know nottingham scores it but would a strong ukcat with 100% gcse score be enough to make up for a weaker PS? just worried because personal statement is so subjective but I have a good ukcat, and I'm unsure about these two choices

A hell of a lot of emphasis. For liverpool, after passing the academic requirements and UKCAT cut off, you proceed onto stage 2, where it is all about the PS. And yeah of course it would for notts, but for liverpool there is no getting away from it, your PS must be good.
Original post by isabella1999
Ah okay makes sense! Went quite ambitious with my choices this year but if it doesn't go well will reapply smart next year but just going with heart for now :colondollar: where else are you applying?

I am applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex and Leeds Medical Schools (all BMAT which is risky but life is all about taking risks!) plus Biomed at UCL. Thank you and Good Luck to you too! Let hope it's all go well! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
OH nice! I really liked imperial but opted not to go for two bmats as it's hard :frown: good luck!

The Bmat IS hard oml, but Leeds don't have a cut off for BMAt and only 5/40 of their pre-personal statement consideration stage is for BMAT so that helps put my mind at ease a little bit
Original post by Earth1
I am applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex and Leeds Medical Schools (all BMAT which is risky but life is all about taking risks!) plus Biomed at UCL. Thank you and Good Luck to you too! Let hope it's all go well! :smile:

Woow, all BMAT unis?
What are your stats like? UKcat too?
Original post by Earth1

Woow, all BMAT unis?

Woow, all BMAT unis?

I am reapplying for Medicine.
A Level: A*A*Aa
GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 3Bs and 2D* (I have extenuating circumstances for this)
UKCAT: 1800 (I thought I am not going to take a gap year, so I decided to do it for fun and to see what scores I will get without any revisions. That is my excuse for a bad UKCAT :biggrin: but even if I revise I would still probably have the same score anyway). Hence I am applying for all BMAT. What are your stats ? I am not that worried this year and I don't really high expectation or expecting any offers (may be a little :tongue:) because of my failure experiences last year.So I have to focus on my BMAT now becuase everything depend on it! Good Luck!:smile:
Original post by Earth1

Woah all BMAT, good luck! I feel ya, if you are going to be studying for 5/6 years may as well love the place :redface:
Original post by Earth1
I am reapplying for Medicine.
A Level: A*A*Aa
GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 3Bs and 2D* (I have extenuating circumstances for this)
UKCAT: 1800 (I thought I am not going to take a gap year, so I decided to do it for fun and to see what scores I will get without any revisions. That is my excuse for a bad UKCAT :biggrin: but even if I revise I would still probably have the same score anyway). Hence I am applying for all BMAT. What are your stats ? I am not that worried this year and I don't really high expectation or expecting any offers (may be a little :tongue:) because of my failure experiences last year.So I have to focus on my BMAT now becuase everything depend on it! Good Luck!:smile:

Ah I see. You have tried the Ukcat this summer:h:
Well done on those A level results!

My Stats:
A level predictions: A* A* A
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
UKCAT: 2010 (670 avg.)

My Stats:

I got the exact same UKCAT score as you lol, where are you thinking of applying ?
Hey!
I'm quite unsure if the universities I want to apply to is the best for me.
My GCSEs are 7 A*s and 5 As (eng lang and lit)
AS Levels -4 As
And My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Bio, chem and maths.
My UKCAT however is 655 which is quite low.
I am applying to University of Birmingham, University of Leicester, Manchester University, Keele University. Where do you guys recommend me to apply?
Also I found this, was 2013/14 a dodgy ukcat time?😳 because if that's normal then I don't think I will apply to Manchester anymore lmao but I love it so much😭. I get a WP flag but not WP+😭ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474589865.724713.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Stats:

Thanks and Good luck!
Woah all BMAT, good luck! I feel ya, if you are going to be studying for 5/6 years may as well love the place :redface:

Thank you and Good luck to you too:smile:
Hi

For applicants for this year I was wanting to know if people were doing 3 or 4 A levels,

With most subjects being linear. Are people just doing 3 A levels.

In the past most people did 4 subjects, dropped one at AS

So presented 3 A levels and 1 AS at the end of year 2.

Unis seems to say that if college does not do AS levels then it does not matter.
But was wondering what people out there were doing.

Cheers
Reply 1055
Original post by spock2000
Hi

For applicants for this year I was wanting to know if people were doing 3 or 4 A levels,

With most subjects being linear. Are people just doing 3 A levels.

In the past most people did 4 subjects, dropped one at AS

So presented 3 A levels and 1 AS at the end of year 2.

Unis seems to say that if college does not do AS levels then it does not matter.
But was wondering what people out there were doing.

Cheers

I did 4 AS Levels (1 old spec, 3 linear), then dropped a linear subject and am now doing 3 full A Levels.
I believe there's quite a few med schools asking for/expressing a preference for a 4th AS: https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/
Original post by michaela__
Also I found this, was 2013/14 a dodgy ukcat time?😳 because if that's normal then I don't think I will apply to Manchester anymore lmao but I love it so much😭. I get a WP flag but not WP+😭ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474589865.724713.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it was!
The DA scores were very high, the average for that section was 770 I think, causing the entire averages to be heavily inflated :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
Yes, it was!
The DA scores were very high, the average for that section was 770 I think, causing the entire averages to be heavily inflated :smile:

Thank you! I'm less worried now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think the average for this year will go up or down?

The prelim results showed a 644 average, but I swear they say that people who take the test earlier do better.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Do you guys think the average for this year will go up or down?

The prelim results showed a 644 average, but I swear they say that people who take the test earlier do better.

I think the average is going to be around 640-650

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending