The Student Room Group

A-levels as a private candidate?

I'm considering completing A-level(s) as a private candidate by self-teaching from home. I just wanted to know of everything involved, it is quite difficult to find any information online. What is it like with registering with a school to take the exam? I was thinking of taking biology and psychology. Is it okay enough to self-teach at home? Are any practical experiments or coursework required? Is it best to do the whole A-level in one year or in two? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just ring up the school and ask if they accept private candidates and then they should give you the details of exam costs ect and yh with coursework stuff you're again going to have to contact schools and colleges to see if they can arrange it but this could be easier said then done. Do Alevels in 2 years like every other normal person ...
Reply 2
I've heard that some people can do it in one year because they don't have to do as many subjects like at school, and they don't have lessons where you learn something in one hour that isn't that important, time isn't wasted on other things. Thanks for answering
Most schools in your area should be to accommodate you to sit the exams but you will have to pay them to sit exams.
Does anyone know, or have any experience with, how likely it is that a school/college will handle the coursework aspects for a private candidate? Also, because of the A-level reforms, can you take them in one year now? If the AS-level is took just as a predictor of second year results, can that first year be skipped?
Original post by GloriousFailure
Does anyone know, or have any experience with, how likely it is that a school/college will handle the coursework aspects for a private candidate? Also, because of the A-level reforms, can you take them in one year now? If the AS-level is took just as a predictor of second year results, can that first year be skipped?

I don't know about the private candidate thing but some schools only do the exams in yr 13 in but they will do mocks at the end of yr 12 and use it for predictions. My school entered all yr 12s for the AS though and they will use this result for our predictions. It really depends on what your school wants to do. If they want you to sit the AS then you need to sit it or if not then you'll have to wait till yr 13.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm planning to sit for A level maths(edexel) and A level chemistry(new spec ocr) as a private candidate for the first time on summer 2017. My quetion is, As we know, A level chem(new spec) has got practical though it doesn't contribute to over all A level grade. I did my research of looking for cheap exam centres and i found ealing independent college asks £165 for full A level but they don't do practical. So i found campbell harris does both practical(£1000) and written(£300). So total £1,300 for just A level chem. So my quetion is do universites really need a pass on practical? I'm thinking to just sit written exam as practical is very expensive. Please i need advice. I've to register and get to study asap. Please any idea is appriciated
Reply 7
I'm planning to sit for A level maths(edexel) and A level chemistry(new spec ocr) as a private candidate for the first time on summer 2017. My quetion is, As we know, A level chem(new spec) has got practical thought it doesn't contribute to over all A level grade. I did my research of looking for cheap exam centres and i found ealing independent college asks £165 for full A level but they don't do practical. So i found campbell harris does both practical(£1000) and written(£300). So total £1,300 for just A level chem. So my quetion is do top universites really need a pass on practical? I'm thinking to just sit written exam as practical is damn expensive. Please i need advice. I've to register and get to study asap. Please any idea is appriciated
Original post by Dd maths
I'm planning to sit for A level maths(edexel) and A level chemistry(new spec ocr) as a private candidate for the first time on summer 2017. My quetion is, As we know, A level chem(new spec) has got practical thought it doesn't contribute to over all A level grade. I did my research of looking for cheap exam centres and i found ealing independent college asks £165 for full A level but they don't do practical. So i found campbell harris does both practical(£1000) and written(£300). So total £1,300 for just A level chem. So my quetion is do top universites really need a pass on practical? I'm thinking to just sit written exam as practical is damn expensive. Please i need advice. I've to register and get to study asap. Please any idea is appriciated

I've looked at many universities and all so far require a pass in the assessment of practical skills even if it's not relevant to the course you are applying for. For example there is this statement about about A level reform on the Imperial College web site
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/study/apply/public/A-level-Reform-May-2015.pdf
If it's not clear from their web site, contact your target universities and ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Check out this site:
http://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki

There's a lot of useful information regarding taking A Levels and registering for the exams as a private candidate, etc.
The costs for exams can be found on the exam board websites. With practicals you should probably discuss this with the centre because they might let you do it there or the will arrange something for you. For the new spec A-Levels you're assessed partially on the practicals, and partially on practical questions on the exam. Again the centre will arrange something for you, which is why it's best to go for a sixth/college rather than an actual test centre. I would recommend becoming a private candidate in a school you've already attended just because it a little less messier in terms of applying, fees etc
Original post by gdunne42
I've looked at many universities and all so far require a pass in the assessment of practical skills even if it's not relevant to the course you are applying for. For example there is this statement about about A level reform on the Imperial College web site
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/study/apply/public/A-level-Reform-May-2015.pdf
If it's not clear from their web site, contact your target universities and ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I do the practical once i have completed the written and got my grade?
Can I do the practical once i have completed the written and got my grade?

As this is the first year of these qualifications it's not something I've come across. It doesn't sound logical that you could since you are expected to have done the practicals to be prepared for the written exam and the qualifications are linear. I've only looked at AQA who have said that you can carry forward the practical endorsement if you decide to retake the exams but can't retake the practical endorsement in a subsequent year unless you also retake the exams. Although technically your idea isn't a retake I think it would be judged in the same way by examiners. Since all examiners follow the same rules, I would expect the answer from OCR to be the same but you could contact them and ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
As this is the first year of these qualifications it's not something I've come across. It doesn't sound logical that you could since you are expected to have done the practicals to be prepared for the written exam and the qualifications are linear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your advice. It's very helpful
Original post by Sarah1778
The costs for exams can be found on the exam board websites. With practicals you should probably discuss this with the centre because they might let you do it there or the will arrange something for you. For the new spec A-Levels you're assessed partially on the practicals, and partially on practical questions on the exam. Again the centre will arrange something for you, which is why it's best to go for a sixth/college rather than an actual test centre. I would recommend becoming a private candidate in a school you've already attended just because it a little less messier in terms of applying, fees etc

You're absolutely right. Thank you for your advice
As this is the first year of these qualifications it's not something I've come across. It doesn't sound logical that you could since you are expected to have done the practicals to be prepared for the written exam and the qualifications are linear. I've only looked at AQA who have said that you can carry forward the practical endorsement if you decide to retake the exams but can't retake the practical endorsement in a subsequent year unless you also retake the exams. Although technically your idea isn't a retake I think it would be judged in the same way by examiners. Since all examiners follow the same rules, I would expect the answer from OCR to be the same but you could contact them and ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. I will contact OCR and decide my next plan
You will need to research what coursework is or is not required for your subject and if there is centers that can asses it. as for exams it is easy to find exam centers to sit you for the exams. It does cost quite a bit though. and you may need to travel. I am sitting exams as privet candidate.
I'm also a private candidate and have decided to take my 3 A-levels in one year, so I'll be sitting my exams in the summer of 2017. You can either take your A-levels through on online college like Oxford Open Learning or NEC, this means you get access to E-books and tutors whenever you need but you can also just go solo and do it yourself. You'll need to decide what exam boards your are going to take your A-level subjects with and then buy the best textbooks on offer, then try find some local exam centres that offer private candidates a place to sit exams for your chosen exam board. If you're thinking of going through OCR check this out http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/257982-guidance-for-private-candidates-2015-16.pdf. Then do some research to find a centre near you and contact them asap.
For Biology, it depends on what field you wish to go into. If you want to go into medicine or veterinary science, you will need to do the practical endorsement to show your chosen college you're capable of being in a lab setting. Again, you'll need to find a college that offers practical endorsement programs and sign up with them. It's really important that you match your practical endorsement with your chosen exam board, otherwise it won't count. For example, I'm doing my Biology through Edexcel and am using Pembrokeshire College in Wales to complete my practical endorsement because they follow the Edexcel curriculum.
As for the 1 vs 2 year, it really depends on you, and how confident you are in your learning abilities. There are tonnes of resources online from videos to other people's notes but if you're planning on doing it in one year, you're going to have to be super determined, organised and motivated. You'll need to plan your weeks in regards to how much work you're going to do in each subject to ensure you complete the subject in time for the exam plus at least 1 month free to revise. It's super important to do constant revision, especially if your trying to do it in one year as you try rush though everything to make it in time as certain things can get left behind or forgotten.
But in all, it's totally doable and really fun because you learn at your own pace and often have a little more time to learn about things that interest you the most !
Original post by Luke7456
You will need to research what coursework is or is not required for your subject and if there is centers that can asses it. as for exams it is easy to find exam centers to sit you for the exams. It does cost quite a bit though. and you may need to travel. I am sitting exams as privet candidate.

May i ask what exams you're sitting? And which exam centre you register at?
May i ask what exams you're sitting? And which exam centre you register at?

I am sitting all maths exams so no need for coursework.

at the moment it looks like I will be going to an exam center in Bristol there was one nearer to me at a cheaper price, but they said this is the price take it or leave it then tried to pressure sale me.

said better hurry up before places gone then hung up.

I remember an examiner way back trying to rush me out of the exam so he can watch the England game I do get extra allowances because of autism and anxiety disorder. I would rather pay a bit more for an exam center that is more accommodating and supportive if there are any issues.

the second one followed up my call with a polite email which had disability form attached and a pdf of local hotels with there exact distance from exam center and the hotel costs. with links to the hotel websites and the hotel contact details.

So i decided since I will be sitting 18 exams and (20-21 if include steps) the difference was about £15 per exam. I will be paying £27750 tuition+fee increases and other stuff for degree. I figured for the sake of £270-£315 id rather go with the second one feeling more comfortable if any issues or problems.

Maybe I am been an idiot here but thats my preference so I can give you the number for the bristol one but there are cheaper ones out there.

Quick Reply

Latest