The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaela__
It's from Medcracker (Facebook page) someone on here told me last year Manchester wanted 662.5 so not sure how accurate it is for cut offs anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm...

I'm still going to risk it, what do I have to lose? (Lol 1 rejection >.<)

Hey btw if you don't mind me asking, what did you get at GCSE and A level?
Lots of people took internal exams so I think if anything A* predictions will go up. It's hard to say though, and I think I'll phone Exeter and hope the guy can tell me lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

How you mean internal exams? Exams were sat exactly like normal in my school.
The new reforms are supposed to be harder considering that you have to do them again next year so a-level grades are suspected of dropping. That all i know.
Can you not try get 3A* predictions anyway?
Hello everone, im looking to apply to Barts, Liverpool, Nottingham and Sheffield. My UKCAT is 673 and band 2. What are your thoughts?
Original post by aamin96
**** I'm so worried for VR :/ how did you do on the medify 40 question limited time practices I keep getting around 25/40 it's killing me

Hey i used medify too, and dont worry about it. Undoubtly i found VR the hardest but keep pushing for it!!
I used to get 26/27! Don't let it scare you though just stay focused in the exam and do it so fast! You'll be fine!❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

That made me feel much better then thanks! Also well done on your score you must be proud ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar.22
Hey i used medify too, and dont worry about it. Undoubtly i found VR the hardest but keep pushing for it!!

Thanks man how did you do in the exam? Also what do you reckon would be the best strategy for the exam finish the short passages first and then tackle the long ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
Thanks man how did you do in the exam? Also what do you reckon would be the best strategy for the exam finish the short passages first and then tackle the long ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The technique i used didnt refer to the length of the passage but the question itself. i used the kaplan book for this advice. If you have a question which asks you stuff like "the statement most likely to be true is.." or the statement which is false is" or even something like "thoughts of the author" then i found these took longer. Questions with keywords are obviously much easier to tackle so my apporach was to do those first.
Original post by Umar.22
The technique i used didnt refer to the length of the passage but the question itself. i used the kaplan book for this advice. If you have a question which asks you stuff like "the statement most likely to be true is.." or the statement which is false is" or even something like "thoughts of the author" then i found these took longer. Questions with keywords are obviously much easier to tackle so my apporach was to do those first.

Ooooh I see I'll try that approach then thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an average of 627 and a band 2. Is that good? I'm applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and graduate entry Newcastle. Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
can someone please tell me whether the verbal reasoning questions are harder in the 600q book than the real thing. my average in this book is about 50 percent whereas on the official UKCAT practice tests I get 70%, mainly because the passages are much shorter.
Original post by Mathsmad123
I found the passages longer on average (only by a little) in the real thing as well and the texts were hard to understand as it was all about war and history :frown:
QR is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be trust me! Yeah you get a few eyeballing questions, however there are like 8 questions that require deep thought. I guessed 4, semi guessed 2 and came out with 890, so the scoring seems to be quite nice!
During DM refresh memory on key points for AR + QR. DO NOT dwell on VR as it is now over. I dwelled on VR and i had a mini panic attack for the next section as i couldn't even answer the first question in QR straight away! Came back to it and it was a piss easy ratio question lol

What do you mean by questions with "deep thought"? Did they have multiple steps?
Yeah no problem. When is your test?
Original post by aamin96
That made me feel much better then thanks! Also well done on your score you must be proud ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Let me know how it goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squishy•
How you mean internal exams? Exams were sat exactly like normal in my school.
The new reforms are supposed to be harder considering that you have to do them again next year so a-level grades are suspected of dropping. That all i know.
Can you not try get 3A* predictions anyway?

Internal exams are exams that aren't credited by an exam board I think, so your school makes you a paper up or you get a paper but it doesn't get sent off to AQA etc! Yeah new reforms are harder and my exams were hard but if your teacher could make you up your own exam paper do you really think they would make it that hard (I doubt they would personally) and plus it's hard to compare as you don't sit it nationally like everyone else. No I won't be able to push for 3 a stars unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really get the situational judgement section. All the books I have say "Don't assume that the action is the only action being taken".

Scenario: A student avoids doing cannulations. She can't remember what to do exactly and is not competent to perform them. She needs to perform one for her end of year exam.

Action: Brush up on the cannulation theory and technique by reading her notes.
My answer: A very appropriate thing to do
Actual answer: Appropriate but not ideal

Reason given: It's a good thing to do because she can't remember how to do the procedure, but it won't improve her practical competence.

Now, if you are not assuming that it's the only thing that is being done, I can't see how this is anything other "very appropriate"., because you can't assume that she is not performing other actions to improve her practical competence.

If you are assuming that it's the only thing done, then it would have to be "very inappropriate" as you are possibly going to hurt the patient in the end of year exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Internal exams are exams that aren't credited by an exam board I think, so your school makes you a paper up or you get a paper but it doesn't get sent off to AQA etc! Yeah new reforms are harder and my exams were hard but if your teacher could make you up your own exam paper do you really think they would make it that hard (I doubt they would personally) and plus it's hard to compare as you don't sit it nationally like everyone else. No I won't be able to push for 3 a stars unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm my school didn't do that but there would be no reason for them to make the exams easier as it would give a wrong representation for the students and as they're not credited by the grades then there would be no incentive for the school to do so.
If you are in the higher tiers then u don't have a ukcat threshold
Hmm my school didn't do that but there would be no reason for them to make the exams easier as it would give a wrong representation for the students and as they're not credited by the grades then there would be no incentive for the school to do so.
If you are in the higher tiers then u don't have a ukcat threshold

Think logically though, schools want their students to get into uni. They might be similar difficulty but aren't marked the same or standardised like everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think logically though, schools want their students to get into uni. They might be similar difficulty but aren't marked the same or standardised like everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Predicted grades don't get students into university, achieved grades do. And besides, if that was the case schools can still predict people with low grades to get high grades at the end. That's more logical than giving a false representation of the exam and deceiving them into thinking it's easier than it's going to be and then having them get lower achieved grades.
A part of difficulty is the grade boundaries. If they can score 20/100 and still get a good grade then the test is easy never mind if the 100 questions were hard.
Anyone who has done the ukcat, Were there QR questions with a lot of text in them? If so what proportion of QR would you say had them?
Anyone who has done the ukcat, Were there QR questions with a lot of text in them? If so what proportion of QR would you say had them?

It varies for each candidate as it's a random selection of questions from a pool, but I got very unlucky with verbal and had no t/f/ct questions and only long passages

All you can really do is prepare as much as you can and be ready to tackle the longer questions as they may well come up, though some have more t/f/ct so don't let that disheartened you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending