The Student Room Group

Is Islamophobia a problem in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
:biggrin: you're fooling no one

remember the clue is if you have only been here for a day or two having knowledge of other posters style when you haven't interacted with them in any way is a dead give away.

But don't worry I understand let's just hope you change your ways :wink:

He's been banned :biggrin:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I disagree. In my opinion it's a buzzword and it doesn't include both. It is inherently a fallacious word that equates an irrational fear of Islam (which I don't agree with anyway) to hatred of Muslims. Attacks against Muslims are anti-Muslim bigotry, not islamophobia.

Yes I agree with you. As a Muslim even I believe Islamophobia, is the fear of Islam.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
He's been banned :biggrin:

I shouldn't laugh but :biggrin:

he'll be back though
Reply 63
No, dislike of Islam is actually very rational given all the affairs sourounding it. What I think is that Islam problem is a strawman. the true issue is that not all migration is good.

Dislike/Discrimination of Islamic individuals: Yes, to which degree depends on the area.

Dislike of Islam: No.

Reply 65
Original post by theonecenter
Well quite honestly, the media doesn't portray Muslims as terrorists as much as they used to be. And as for the minority, you would have to go and seek out that minority, so it is a religion of Peace.
The problem is that we don't need to seek out some of the minority, as they make a point of publicly displaying their extremism.

It is simply nonsense to claim that Islam is a religion of peace. Anyone who has read rhe Quran and sunnah will know that it is a religion of peace and violence, tolerance and intolerance, of equality and discrimination.

Of course harassment due to Sexual Orientation isn't in the least acceptable, but that's how the person interprets it, not the religion itself.

We live in a society where homosexuality is common. But as for myself personally as a Muslim, if you respect me, then I'll respect you, regardless of gender, race, orientation, anything.
This is all well and good, but this position is incompatible with the claim that the Quran in perfect, universal and timeless, and that Muhammad was the perfect example for humanity. So where do you really stand?
Reply 66
Original post by HAnwar
Yes definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is "Islamophobia"?
Do you have a cogent definition that does not conflate discrete concepts?
Reply 67
Original post by Ashaibrahim5
always the ones who've never experienced any sort of discrimination (I.e non religious WHITE people) that have the most to say about the oppression other people face daily. what do you even know
So Muslims in the west face daily oppression? Really?

See, this sort of statement is why reasonable people don't take the whole "Islamophobia" isuue seriously.
Yes, there is anti-Muslim bigotry that is based in racism and xenophobia, but that has little, if anything to do with Islam for most of the knuckle-draggers involved.
Original post by thickleftard
Muslims follow Islam, its pretty simple. You can't hate/dislike Islam as an ideology/religion without having a small degree of dislike or hatred towards the people who follow it.

You might not hate them as a person, but you hate their culture, history, family values, traditions and beliefs - if you hate Islam.

The two come hand in hand some of the time.

I strongly disagree. You can still dislike an ideology and be okay with people that follow the faith.
Original post by loveleest
I strongly disagree. You can still dislike an ideology and be okay with people that follow the faith.

I agree with the above.

I have no problem with those who follow the teachings of Islam, I treat them as I would any other human being. I instead have a problem, and have a strong detest for, the teachings themselves. (collectively considered)
Original post by QE2
The problem is that we don't need to seek out some of the minority, as they make a point of publicly displaying their extremism.

It is simply nonsense to claim that Islam is a religion of peace. Anyone who has read rhe Quran and sunnah will know that it is a religion of peace and violence, tolerance and intolerance, of equality and discrimination.

This is all well and good, but this position is incompatible with the claim that the Quran in perfect, universal and timeless, and that Muhammad was the perfect example for humanity. So where do you really stand?

But that is the same for any religion, not just Islam. There will always be peace and violence. Always be tolerance and intolerance.

And I made my point clear earlier and I'm not going back on it. If you respect me, then I will respect you.
Original post by QE2

See, this sort of statement is why reasonable people don't take the whole "Islamophobia" isuue seriously.
Yes, there is anti-Muslim bigotry that is based in racism and xenophobia, but that has little, if anything to do with Islam for most of the knuckle-draggers involved.

Yes some do actually. Not so much in the UK but America for sure. Also, just because it's not being recorded doesn't mean it's not happening. I was also referring to racism BTW
Reply 72
you hear it behind peoples screens all the time

but in public? :rofl: you're joking right?

no one in the UK has got the balls to openly discriminate against them!
Yes, although the discrimination I have experienced is minimal compared to some, and probably laughable in the eyes of a few - but I've been called an ISIS member and a terrorist apologist for defending Muslims on the streets who were being harassed. I fully understand the faults of Islam, but I believe that anyone who thinks pointing out the faults of this ideology is equivalent to spouting hateful things to Muslims on the street clearly doesn't care about Islam at all and just wants to hate on someone.

EDIT:
And back on the original point, yes, Islamophobia (specifically fear of Muslims but also of Islam) is a problem because the attacks on both entities as a result of the fear does alienate domestic Muslims and IMO makes them more likely to sympathise with groups like ISIS.

Ignorant people shouting abuse at me always made me sympathetic to Child beheading, genocide commiting neanderthals :redface:
Muslims follow Islam, its pretty simple. You can't hate/dislike Islam as an ideology/religion without having a small degree of dislike or hatred towards the people who follow it.

You might not hate them as a person, but you hate their culture, history, family values, traditions and beliefs - if you hate Islam.

The two come hand in hand some of the time.

It looks like somebody is projecting. Ideologies and people are two completely different things, now maybe you can't but I can hate an ideology quite passionately without hating the people who adhere to it. I can even strongly dislike what they do without disliking them.
Original post by QE2

Oh some definitely do, but quite often that ends up being muslim women and it's usually muslim men doing the oppression.
Islamaphobia isn't an issue. Fearing a religion which is responsible for some of the most horrific attacks in modern times is not a problem.

Attacking Muslims simply because they're Muslims and you don't like brown people isn't OK. I also wouldn't describe that as a phobia - just bigotry
Original post by Ashaibrahim5
Yes some do actually. Not so much in the UK but America for sure. Also, just because it's not being recorded doesn't mean it's not happening. I was also referring to racism BTW

racism is a nasty trait of society and can effect almost any minority group regardless of faith. there will always be ppl that are inherently racist regardless of current day issues. People discussing the problems about islamic fundamentalsim howvevr is s topical issue and doest exist within other minority groupings- the problem exists within islamic communities have done little or nothing to supress the problems that have come from this for many years ( some in their community tacitly promote it).
outside the islamic worls there is a push for zero tolerance ofr this sort of extremism and indeed the poltical agendas they push - there cannot be any cherry picking ie islamic terroroism in uk france, germany must be condenmed and attacked as much as those islamic terrorists pushing agendas in israel, usa, china, kashmir , thailand, indonesia, egypt somalia, nigeria etc etc if the islamic community is not going to work to act against these groups and their doctrines - then we must investigate why not.
Reply 78
no it doesn't exist. nothing wrong with hating islam
Everyone thinks they are being discriminated against. It's human nature to think that you're the oppressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending