The Student Room Group

English applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dorababy1995
Hi all,

A mature EU student here! :smile: I'm very happy to have found this thread!

I'm applying to Cambridge, Durham, UCL and Exeter. :smile:

Hey
What country u applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhaenys10
Hey
What country u applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello from a neighbouring country! :smile: By the way, it's Hungary. I see we have choices in common!
Original post by littlemix012
Wow you sound so smart! I made this thread because there weren't any like it on the whole of TSR haha

Nah, I'm a Cambridge re-applicant!

I've always wanted to study English, so if I do get into any of these unis it'll be a dream come true! By the way, this thread is a great idea because it gives us English majors more opportunity to "meet" future course mates in advance. The main uni threads are usually dominated by maths/science applicants, which doesn't mean we're not out there as well!

@literaturista

@ziggyystardust
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only one who has already sent in the UCAS application? :biggrin:

Yes😂ox or cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, I'm a Cambridge re-applicant!

I've always wanted to study English, so if I do get into any of these unis it'll be a dream come true! By the way, this thread is a great idea because it gives us English majors more opportunity to "meet" future course mates in advance. The main uni threads are usually dominated by maths/science applicants, which doesn't mean we're out there as well!

@literaturista

@ziggyystardust t

Yeah I know there's a lot of people on this site that do maths and science haha

And here's me only halfway through my personal statement
Yeah I know there's a lot of people on this site that do maths and science haha

Sorry - I meant to write "which doesn't mean we're not out there as well"
Original post by Rhaenys10
Yes😂ox or cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said, Cambridge and 3 other unis. :smile: What are your choices btw?
And here's me only halfway through my personal statement

Don't worry - I'm re-applying for a reason (and not just because I got rejected by Cambridge). Last time I applied on February 29th [the 4 "mature" Cambridge colleges accept applications until March 1st]. By the time I got all my decisions - 4 offers and a rejection from Cambridge (this was in May!), all the deadlines for scholarship/bursary applications at my 4 other choices had passed so I had to withdraw my whole application. Oh, and guess when I finally managed to finish my personal statement? On the day I sent in my application!

All I needed to do now was edit my statement, ask for a new reference and send in my application (I started filling in the UCAS form as soon as "apply 2017" became available).
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't worry - I'm re-applying for a reason (and not just because I got rejected by Cambridge). Last time I applied on February 29th [the 4 "mature" Cambridge colleges accept applications until March 1st]. By the time I got all my decisions - 4 offers and a rejection from Cambridge (this was in May!), all the deadlines for scholarship/bursary applications at my 4 other choices had passed so I had to withdraw my whole application. Oh, and guess when I finally managed to finish my personal statement? On the day I sent in my application!

All I needed to do now was edit my statement, ask for a new reference and send in my application (I started filling in the UCAS form as soon as "apply 2017" became available).

I'm still struggling on deciding where I want to go haha
I'm still struggling on deciding where I want to go haha

Where are you thinking of applying?
Where are you thinking of applying?

Well I'm thinking of Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton, Essex and Aston! But there's a load others too such as Bedfordshire as a back up choice because they want 80 points which is two B's

Sent mine in today!
I don't really belong here because I'm doing Linguistics, not English Language, but hello guys and good luck with applications! So happy to see a ton of people interested in Lang and Linguistics eek! Just sent off the application to Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, and Newcastle... I'm so nervous but excited :biggrin:
Original post by blue2337
I don't really belong here because I'm doing Linguistics, not English Language, but hello guys and good luck with applications! So happy to see a ton of people interested in Lang and Linguistics eek! Just sent off the application to Cambridge, York, UCL, Edinburgh, and Newcastle... I'm so nervous but excited :biggrin:

Although I did consider linguistics, I've applied for English literature, my true passion, which doesn't mean I don't love linguistics too!

Well you do belong because I may do just linguistics! Plus it's technically English, make yourself welcome here :smile:
Although I did consider linguistics, I've applied for English literature, my true passion, which doesn't mean I don't love linguistics too!

Well you do belong because I may do just linguistics! Plus it's technically English, make yourself welcome here :smile:

You guys are so welcoming, thank you! Well I'll stick around here, you'll be sick of me and all my questions soon!!
You guys are so welcoming, thank you! Well I'll stick around here, you'll be sick of me and all my questions soon!!

I started this thread so I'll have more questions than you hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brxvebird
Absolutely! I'll send it over now.

Could you pm me the email as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending