The Student Room Group

Why is A-level maths SO much harder than every other A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
A-Level freshling nerves. Not the first time he asked me this either. He probably thinks A-Levels are going to be difficult and wants to find out all those 'A-Level TRICKS & HACKS' from previous students, but then end up not following any advice, and a year or two later he'll wondering why someone asks so many needless questions about something so straight-forward.

loool, or probably this
Plus i do follow most of the advice I find good anyway, thats why i need to ask a few different people as they will generally give different advice.
And yeh i do think a-levels will be difficult not maths in particular but mainly physics and economics, maths is probably the only subject i enjoy.
And yeh i agree with your last sentence lool
Thanks for answering anyway
Original post by AdeptDz
What i'm asking is personal to him lol? so it will probably give me a different answer to what you said. I asked for his grades and how long he revised for, so it would probably give a different answer to what you said right
And what i asked you was different and was like a few weeks ago not days ago not that it matters
Plus, it's good to hace a range of opinions on 'good resources' to use hence why I asked.
And lastly thanks for answering earlier anyway

You're just wasting time. You're not going to gain some magical piece of advice or resources, that will guarantee you an A*. You cannot bypass hard work and that's what you're trying to do.

wasteman
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
You're just wasting time. You're not going to gain some magical piece of advice or resources, that will guarantee you an A*. You cannot bypass hard work and that's what you're trying to do.

wasteman

Not really, tbh i already have found some really good resources like examsolutions which has allowed me to easily go through the whole of FP1, and obviously i'm going to work hard otherwise i wouldn't be asking for resources to use to work hard. I've been working like 3hours+ a day since the start of school.. So yeh i don't agree with your statement.
But yeh i agree that now im wasting time because theres probably no other resources as good as:
examsolutions
physicsandmathstutor
madasmaths
which i all found out using Tsr and have been/will be helpful. Ofc there is not a magical piece of resource, but there are resources which make it easier to learn which is what i'm after.
And yeh i stopped asking for advice a while ago, when i asked i just started a-levels and was 'nervous' so yeh i just wanted to ease the transition. But not it isn't as hard as i thought i would be and im coping well

'wasteman' ? you can surely do better
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
Not really, tbh i already have found some really good resources like examsolutions which has allowed me to easily go through the whole of FP1, and obviously i'm going to work hard otherwise i wouldn't be asking for resources to use to work hard. I've been working like 3hours+ a day since the start of school..
But yeh i agree that now im wasting time because theres probably no other resources as good as:
examsolutions
physicsandmathstutor
madasmaths
which i all found out using Tsr and have been/will be helpful. Ofc there is not a magical piece of resource, but there are resources which make it easier to learn which is what i'm after.
And yeh i stopped asking for advice a while ago, when i asked i just started a-levels and was 'nervous' so yeh i just wanted to ease the transition. But not it isn't as hard as i thought i would be and im coping well

yes now now go work hard
Original post by Naruke
yes now now go work hard

lol, ok then.. I would but i like to relax until 6.30 ; thanks
Original post by AdeptDz

:shot:
Original post by AdeptDz

Relax? What is that? First time I am hearing of this word. Whatever it is, don't do it too much otherwise you will fail A-Levels. Aim to do at least 10 exam questions per minute every minute of the day and you'll be good. :console:
Relax? What is that? First time I am hearing of this word. Whatever it is, don't do it too much otherwise you will fail A-Levels. Aim to do at least 10 exam questions per minute every minute of the day and you'll be good. :console:

looool, thanks for the advice
Original post by lw8
I agree with you. But there's no excuse for poor teaching, teachers should only go into a job in teaching if they know they can make a difference to students lives and improve their grades, going through a quick power-point and handing them a textbook does not benefit anyone. Teachers definitely have a responsibility for grades, some students however do seem 'unteachable' but in that case the teacher should make it their goal to change this person, they aren't just here to teach subjects, they should change their students lives. That's what a true teacher would do, not just someone thats their for the salary.

I completely agree with this. So, are you still confused about letters in maths?
Original post by lw8
The answers that we got in this years paper were incredibly different to previous years, it was much harder. It made you question whether you got anything right because the answers i was coming out with made me believe i was messing up every question and made me go back to nearly every question to double check, creating timing issues.
I am better at C1 than GCSE, because i have practised C1 more, this is subjective though, of course.
On our papers, if you got 60%, your UMS would be a couple of points higher, due to lower boundaries compensating for harder tests.
So hold on, you say that there was no timing issues, and that you normally finish in half an hour with 90+ UMS, yet here you ran out of time. You would know from the C1 20 papers, particularly the last ones, that fractional answers were becoming more common (especially is you did the papers in chronological order). Ok, so you under-reivsed at GCSE, which is why you claim that C1 is easier: more subjectivity. And also, where the boundary and the percentage comes closest is around 60 - that doesn't mean that the rest of the marks do. If you had done the 20 papers at appropriate regular intervals then you would know from the range of marks you should have generated. Too big a leap implies poor marking.
Maths, fixed answer and workings. Essay subjects, chat sooo much shiii

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Original post by 04MR17
So hold on, you say that there was no timing issues, and that you normally finish in half an hour with 90+ UMS, yet here you ran out of time. You would know from the C1 20 papers, particularly the last ones, that fractional answers were becoming more common (especially is you did the papers in chronological order). Ok, so you under-reivsed at GCSE, which is why you claim that C1 is easier: more subjectivity. And also, where the boundary and the percentage comes closest is around 60 - that doesn't mean that the rest of the marks do. If you had done the 20 papers at appropriate regular intervals then you would know from the range of marks you should have generated. Too big a leap implies poor marking.

I got my tutor and teachers to mark, i even did an internal test and got 97%. Stop clutching at strings jheez, some people are TOO argumentative.
Yes, i didn't revise at all for any of my GCSEs.
Original post by lw8
I got my tutor and teachers to mark, i even did an internal test and got 97%. Stop clutching at strings jheez, some people are TOO argumentative.
Yes, i didn't revise at all for any of my GCSEs.
This is not a string. Unless you mark them yourself, you are not going to understand how the marking criteria works for each type of question and more importantly in your case: how to tackle the question. I am not too argumentative, this is your thread and you wanted people to agree with you because you're disgruntled about your Maths result, which isn't unusual on TSR. However, I believe that you are incorrect to make such a generalisation on what is clearly such a subjective question. What I want you to realise is that with a more effective revision technique, anyone can achieve amazing grades (at least, that's my opinion). It is clearly true to me in this case.You didn't revise at all for GCSEs, therefore, they may appear somewhat harder than something that you have prepared for at length (if not depth). And again, you can't measure maths scores by percentages at A Level.
Original post by lw8
I don't understand why they make it so hard.
I got AAD in my AS (i'll be retaking and getting a B but thats besides the point).
For the 2 As, i didn't revise, it was fairly easy to keep up with the notes and be confident on writing essays for every topic.
Maths however; i did at least 8 extra hours a week from February to May (the exams), and still only got a D overall (58.7%).

AS levels are insultingly easy if its not maths (and some sciences, like chem/physics/computer science).

It's not much harder you just have an opinion.
Original post by 04MR17
This is not a string. Unless you mark them yourself, you are not going to understand how the marking criteria works for each type of question and more importantly in your case: how to tackle the question. I am not too argumentative, this is your thread and you wanted people to agree with you because you're disgruntled about your Maths result, which isn't unusual on TSR. However, I believe that you are incorrect to make such a generalisation on what is clearly such a subjective question. What I want you to realise is that with a more effective revision technique, anyone can achieve amazing grades (at least, that's my opinion). It is clearly true to me in this case.You didn't revise at all for GCSEs, therefore, they may appear somewhat harder than something that you have prepared for at length (if not depth). And again, you can't measure maths scores by percentages at A Level.

I told you that i marked them myself, you said i marked them incorrectly. I then confirmed that i got my tutors and teachers to mark too, and now you're saying i should be marking them myself, lol. You are too argumentative. I purposely try to avoid conflicts with people like you, no winning..
Btw, i am not disgruntled by my maths result, i think i did amazing personally. I'm just letting everyone know how hard it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lw8
I told you that i marked them myself, you said i marked them incorrectly. I then confirmed that i got my tutors and teachers to mark too, and now you're saying i should be marking them myself, lol. You are too argumentative. I purposely try to avoid conflicts with people like you, no winning..
Btw, i am not disgruntled by my maths result, i think i did amazing personally. I'm just letting everyone know how hard it is.
And you are too inconsistent. The fact that you keep changing your story limits it's authenticity. No winning, so people like me, who are right: thank you for that admission of wrong (I didn't ask for one). You seem incredibly defensive of how you are not happy with your result/performance and now you sat you've done amazingly: more inconsistency. You are letting people know of your subjective opinion, and I'm letting you know that I disagree with you.
Original post by lw8

Original post by 04MR17
And you are too inconsistent. The fact that you keep changing your story limits it's authenticity. No winning, so people like me, who are right: thank you for that admission of wrong (I didn't ask for one). You seem incredibly defensive of how you are not happy with your result/performance and now you sat you've done amazingly: more inconsistency. You are letting people know of your subjective opinion, and I'm letting you know that I disagree with you.

Settle down, children.

At the end of the day, you two do not know each other, have different opinions, and what you say means ****-all to one another. Just leave it. :smile:

Thanks.

- TSR
Settle down, children.

At the end of the day, you two do not know each other, have different opinions, and what you say means ****-all to one another. Just leave it. :smile:

Thanks.

- TSR
This is a matter of principle! I am helping OP to see the errors in his ways. And I am not a child.
Original post by 04MR17
This is a matter of principle! I am helping OP to see the errors in his ways. And I am not a child.

What on Earth is going on here, Morgan?
Original post by HurtfulHarold
What on Earth is going on here, Morgan?
Behave Harold or I'll tell your Wife.

Quick Reply

Latest