The Student Room Group

How accurate are predicted grades?

I've recently started AS levels and today I got my predicted grade for English lit&lang and it's a C!? I don't understand why because I got an A* at GCSE and in the initial assessment for English I got a level 3, which was the highest I could get. People who got lower English and initial assessment grades have higher predictions than me so I don't understand it? How accurate are predicted grades? I really don't want a C :frown: Obviously I wasn't expecting an A but I just don't understand why my predicted grade is so much lower than a lot of people in my class who I did better than. I didn't do so well at GCSE in science and maths but I don't see how they would effect my English prediction?
Reply 1
lol
Your current predicted grade is probably based off your GCSEs results. I had 4 Cs predicted at the start of september (not 'good' GCSEs), which changed to A and 3 Bs throughout the year and in the summer, I achieved 4As (AS Level).
Original post by crxstalcastles
I've recently started AS levels and today I got my predicted grade for English lit&lang and it's a C!? I don't understand why because I got an A* at GCSE and in the initial assessment for English I got a level 3, which was the highest I could get. People who got lower English and initial assessment grades have higher predictions than me so I don't understand it? How accurate are predicted grades? I really don't want a C :frown: Obviously I wasn't expecting an A but I just don't understand why my predicted grade is so much lower than a lot of people in my class who I did better than. I didn't do so well at GCSE in science and maths but I don't see how they would effect my English prediction?

Wat did you get in your gcses?? Cuz at my college we hav a point system which scores up all your gcses and works out an average score. This is used for predicted grades. I mean i got an A* in maths at gcse but my predicted grade was a B 🤔. Got an A in AS Maths so 😎
Original post by suejiaiuo
Your current predicted grade is probably based off your GCSEs results. I had 4 Cs predicted at the start of september (not 'good' GCSEs), which changed to A and 3 Bs throughout the year and in the summer, I achieved 4As (AS Level).
that's so relieving!! Still frustrating though knowing that my not so good gcses have affected it
My predicted grades were BBC
I got AAB.
Their accuracy depends on how you are as a student :smile: Don't worry
Reply 6
Original post by crxstalcastles

AS predicted grades aren't based on what you got in one particular subject but rather based on your GCSEs overall. If the predicted grade is the minimum expected target grade then they put your grades into the system and it looks at what you got at GCSE and compares it to how the top 100 students with the same or very similar GCSE grades as you ended up doing in their exams. It's how it works in my college anyway. They explained this to us.

Of course there's people who end up doing better than their predicted grades suggest and some who even do worse. You shouldn't worry about it. Just work hard and you can exceed them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LenniesRabbit
My predicted grades were BBC
I got AAB.
Their accuracy depends on how you are as a student :smile: Don't worry

Thank you!! I'm gonna do **** loads of revision so hopefully I do okay haha
Reply 8
For us AS predictions at the start of the year were made off of your top 8 GCSE's, so I was predicted CCCC but got AAAA because I took subjects I had an A* in for GCSE, personally I wouldn't pay any attention to your predicted grades because you have a year to get any grades you want.
they're possibly the least accurate thing in existence.
GCSE's my targets were B's-D's and I got A*-B's in essentially everything.
In AS my targets were A for maths, and B for the three sciences. I ended up getting a B in maths, B in chemistry, C in bio and D in physics.
Also AS is COMPLETLY different to GCSE.
In answer to ur target being low is probably to not dishearten you by you're very likely poor marks at the beginning of the year. Not insulting you, but my targets remained high and going from A's in all tests right down to E's and U's in everything for ALL four subjects really got me panicking. I was thinking "how the flippin hell am i going to repair this, i'm flippin doomed" which caused my grades to remain low. it wasnt until later through the year when everything started to click into place that i got out of my misery and actually started to rise again. i definitely feel i couldve done a lot better if i had a lower target.

Long story short, ignore every target grade you have when you begin AS, it's about January time when you should think about it.
Guys you've made me feel so much better :smile:
AS grades are based off your GCSE profile as a whole, sometimes if teachers see you perform better in class they'll up it - there's no need to sweat about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest