The Student Room Group

What happens after you pass your test?

My driving instructor mentioned something about he needs to take me on 70MPH roads. Wasn't sure if he meant before or after I pass though. What's the deal?
Original post by similarBlank
My driving instructor mentioned something about he needs to take me on 70MPH roads. Wasn't sure if he meant before or after I pass though. What's the deal?

If you are talking about motorways, then learners arent allowed to go on motorways. You can only go on motorways after you passed your test.
Reply 2
He most likely means after you pass your test as you can't travel on 70 mph roads (motorways) until you've passed your test. I do recommend having one or two lessons with an instructor on motorways as they are quite different to driving on normal roads, so he can teach you all of the rules etc of driving on motorways. After you pass your test you give your provisional to the examiner and you get sent your pink license a few days after, and then you're fully legal to drive on all roads including motorways. I hope this helped :smile:
Uh oh. I think my dad might think the driving instructor is taking the p**s if he asks me to go on more driving lessons after I pass my test.
Reply 4
Well there is a whole course you can take called Pass Plus that a lot of instructors offer so it's pretty normal for them to offer extra lessons after you've passed. My instructor did and I learnt a lot. Don't feel obliged to do the lessons it's completely your choice it doesn't affect your licence etc. You could always have a family member mentor you when driving on motorways
Original post by Ecroo14
He most likely means after you pass your test as you can't travel on 70 mph roads (motorways) until you've passed your test.

Motorways aren't the only roads with a 70 limit...
No you won't have extra lessons!
You can do what you like tbh. As long as its legal.
Enjoy the freedom!
Reply 7
Original post by TheMcSame
Motorways aren't the only roads with a 70 limit...

Okay and dual carriageways, I think you get what I meant.
Reply 8
Original post by Ecroo14
Okay and dual carriageways, I think you get what I meant.

You can drive on dual carriageways as a learner.
Reply 9
Any instructor worth his salt should be teaching you how to handle national speed limit roads and dual carriageways before presenting you for a test.

People criticise the current system where a person can pass a driving test, then immediately be allowed to drive on a motorway without any experience of it. This criticism is only a concern if the learner has never been on a similar speed dual carriageway or been trained in joining traffic from acceleration lanes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending