The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .......Jeff458
I have to get tea for that because I fall asleep otherwise :'(.

I cannot break the 580 barrier in practice and don't know what the hell to do if I am aiming for 600 in that section alone on the exam as the exams is supposed to be harder.

I can't do reading comprehension for the life of me. I will spend 5 minutes on one question and end up guessing everything!

omg! same :frown: the 40 Qs on medify on limited time practice is really hard for me
Original post by OneAfrica
Oh i might see you there. If you don't mind me asking how are your stats looking. Just comparing whether i have a shotthis year or not.

My UKCAT is 810 however I am applying as a graduate so I`m not sure if this is relevant to you (not quite sure how they deal with us :wink:).

Good luck with your application!
Original post by Squishy•
You said the aim of the school was to get students into university. What good is an offer if they don't achieve the right grades and as a result don't get into university?

And why would a school predict their students CCC for medicine etc? They wouldn't, it doesn't matter where you go. I'm talking about being predicted an A star for Exeter and not being able to achieve it. That's what irritates me about internal exams as I think it's easier for a school to over predict due to it generally not being as hard (imo, depends though) and Exeter literally select from predicted grades so in a way I think more people this year will have 'false' predicted grades. I'm just guessing though based on the factors I'm aware of but I don't know it for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keenbean23
Got an average of 627 and a band 2. Is that good? I'm applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and graduate entry Newcastle. Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:

Also graduate entry applicant here. :colondollar:

Newcastle graduate entry are usually looking at quite high UKCAT scores. Last year their cut-off was in the 700s (can`t remember the exact score) so you might want to consider a different option. Maybe a 4th 5 year course?

Good luck with your application.
Original post by .......Jeff458
I have to get tea for that because I fall asleep otherwise :'(.

I cannot break the 580 barrier in practice and don't know what the hell to do if I am aiming for 600 in that section alone on the exam as the exams is supposed to be harder.

I can't do reading comprehension for the life of me. I will spend 5 minutes on one question and end up guessing everything!

Just try and start again. Forget how you've been doing and just practice questions and then start doing intense time practice. VR for me was harder in the exam but you never know you could get quite a lot of t/f/can't tell and find it absolutely fine! Just keep practicing and it'll improve your timing quite a bit and don't be afraid to guess and flag the hard questions. There's only so much you can do, just be confident on the day and know you've done all you can. 😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mamly042
Also graduate entry applicant here. :colondollar:

Newcastle graduate entry are usually looking at quite high UKCAT scores. Last year their cut-off was in the 700s (can`t remember the exact score) so you might want to consider a different option. Maybe a 4th 5 year course?

Good luck with your application.

Ooh hello graduate! What was your first degree if you don't mind me asking and where are you applying to?

Also can I ask who you got to do your reference? 8 was going to ask a lecturer but haven't approached them yet.

Good luck with everything!
Ooh hello graduate! What was your first degree if you don't mind me asking and where are you applying to?

Also can I ask who you got to do your reference? 8 was going to ask a lecturer but haven't approached them yet.

I advise you ask your lecturer asap. If you leave it too late, he/she might refuse because it would be too close to the deadline and they might not have time to write it.

I am currently in my final year of immunology and microbiology. I am not 100% decided yet but at the moment I`d go for Newcastle GEM, Warwick GEM, Glasgow and Aberdeen. (UKCAT 810)

I asked by academic tutor. He doesn't really know me that well but I feel nobody does (that sound bad) :rolleyes:. At least not that well as I have not really spent a prolonged amount of time with any of my lecturers. I do felt a bit like I would `disappoint` them by asking for a reference (change of career and all) but he was really happy to help in the end.
Original post by michaela__
And why would a school predict their students CCC for medicine etc? They wouldn't, it doesn't matter where you go. I'm talking about being predicted an A star for Exeter and not being able to achieve it. That's what irritates me about internal exams as I think it's easier for a school to over predict due to it generally not being as hard (imo, depends though) and Exeter literally select from predicted grades so in a way I think more people this year will have 'false' predicted grades. I'm just guessing though based on the factors I'm aware of but I don't know it for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wouldn't be predicted CCC for medicine. I'm saying if they had CCC at AS the teachers could just easily predict them AAA-A*A*A* without making a test with which comes many problems.
How difficult was ar? I seem to be doing well on Medify but even when i run out of time, i guess the shapes just by looking at them and comparing them to set a and b and still get them right. I dont know if im getting lucky. Also there are some shapes which are exactly the same as the ones in set a or b.
Original post by cookiemunch12
How difficult was ar? I seem to be doing well on Medify but even when i run out of time, i guess the shapes just by looking at them and comparing them to set a and b and still get them right. I dont know if im getting lucky. Also there are some shapes which are exactly the same as the ones in set a or b.

Yeah i guess them and get them right too. I just look and i'm like okay theres three shapes in this one and four in the other when in fact the rule is 7 sides all together and the black shapes count as half the value as the white shapes, lol they should do it so you have some answers/boxes in examples which apply one rule and not the other so we know something is different if u get me
Yeah i guess them and get them right too. I just look and i'm like okay theres three shapes in this one and four in the other when in fact the rule is 7 sides all together and the black shapes count as half the value as the white shapes, lol they should do it so you have some answers/boxes in examples which apply one rule and not the other so we know something is different if u get me

Nah they should keep it like that so we get easy marks lol. 55 questions in 13 minutes is ridiculous so imagine if there was a complex rule for each set.
Original post by cookiemunch12
Nah they should keep it like that so we get easy marks lol. 55 questions in 13 minutes is ridiculous so imagine if there was a complex rule for each set.

Yeah i meant on medify so it's good practice lol because i doubt it's gonna be like that in real one.
Reply 5593
Hi guys, any recommendation on Med schools I can apply for with these stats :o:
GCSEs: 13A*s
A2 Predictions: 3A*s, 1A (A in AS Maths - 94UMS average)
UKCAT: VR 560, QR 740, AR 610 ... Average 637 :frown:

W/exp: 2 weeks in India, 3 weeks in uk

Voluntary: 8 months in old age care home in year 11 .... would this still count and can i put it on my personal statement?

Thank in advance for any advice given xx
Original post by HeyaG
Hi guys, any recommendation on Med schools I can apply for with these stats :o:
GCSEs: 13A*s
A2 Predictions: 3A*s, 1A (A in AS Maths - 94UMS average)
UKCAT: VR 560, QR 740, AR 610 ... Average 637 :frown:

W/exp: 2 weeks in India, 3 weeks in uk

Voluntary: 8 months in old age care home in year 11 .... would this still count and can i put it on my personal statement?

Thank in advance for any advice given xx

Bristol, birmingham, ucl, imperial, cardiff, exeter, oxbridge, literally anywhere which allows ur ukcat
Reply 5595
Bristol, birmingham, ucl, imperial, cardiff, exeter, oxbridge, literally anywhere which allows ur ukcat

Thanks Squishy! I just can't decide between oxford and Cambridge as I want oxbridge to be my first choice. Any advice?
for QR are there going to be any topics which aren't on medify already?? so will any unexpected topics come up?
i am getting seriously low marks in VR for the mocks. can someone pleasee give any advice on how to improve in this area?
Original post by ellen111
i am getting seriously low marks in VR for the mocks. can someone pleasee give any advice on how to improve in this area?

Do you struggle more with timing or the questions? Also have you been converting your marks to scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Do you struggle more with timing or the questions? Also have you been converting your marks to scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you convert your marks to scores? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending