The Student Room Group

Help asap -sixth form choice

I am having trouble deciding which sixth form to go to. I have recently moved to a new school but am struggling to understand things in lessons and have to search up all the homework i get online. However they have a good reputation for getting good a -levels. My old school didn't have as good of a reputation but the teachers i would've are very good and experienced and i know everyone there (Teachers and students). I have spoken to a teacher at my new school and they do say the style of teaching is very different and requires a head-on start and lots of expected knowledge. Many people i know who also moved where i am now, have gone back to their old schools. I have till the 27th so please reply asap

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Different people prefer different teaching styles. If your old school makes you feel more comfortable and at home, then go for it. Even if the school has a great reputation for a levels, doesn't mean that it suits everybody. However, you must also allow some time to adjust to the new environment.
Original post by xoJessica_Leexo
I am having trouble deciding which sixth form to go to. I have recently moved to a new school but am struggling to understand things in lessons and have to search up all the homework i get online. However they have a good reputation for getting good a -levels. My old school didn't have as good of a reputation but the teachers i would've are very good and experienced and i know everyone there (Teachers and students). I have spoken to a teacher at my new school and they do say the style of teaching is very different and requires a head-on start and lots of expected knowledge. Many people i know who also moved where i am now, have gone back to their old schools. I have till the 27th so please reply asap

Thanks in advance

Why did you switch? What courses are you doing? Does one school offer a course that the other one doesn't? Just how much better do students do at the new one? Why did your friends move back?

Sorry for asking all those questions btw.
:angelwings:
Original post by Baaah
Different people prefer different teaching styles. If your old school makes you feel more comfortable and at home, then go for it. Even if the school has a great reputation for a levels, doesn't mean that it suits everybody. However, you must also allow some time to adjust to the new environment.

Yeah, I agree with this. In the end it's mostly up to the student so maybe go to the one where you feel you'll benefit the most and where you're most likely to get higher grades
easier travel
better facilities
stuff like that, consider it.
Original post by Baaah

Thats what i was thinking too. I have been at my new school for 2 and a half weeks though. Thanks for the advice xx
Original post by Kiritsugu
Why did you switch? What courses are you doing? Does one school offer a course that the other one doesn't? Just how much better do students do at the new one? Why did your friends move back?

Sorry for asking all those questions btw.
:angelwings:

I switched because my sister goes there and my parents think the school is like heaven and my old school is like hell. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English lit. The courses are pretty similar and at least ten students get 3/4 A-A* or even more whereas my school last year, only had one person with 4 a* but that shows it is possible. My friends moved back because they didn't like it and felt uncomfortable. Social wise though i am alright. And don't worry about the questions, it's fine c;
Yeah, I agree with this. In the end it's mostly up to the student so maybe go to the one where you feel you'll benefit the most and where you're most likely to get higher grades
easier travel
better facilities
stuff like that, consider it.

Well the travel distance is the same unless theres traffic then my new school takes longer. The facilities are around the same except i feel like i get more support during lessons in my old school whereas in my new school i feel quite alone

Thanks for the advice xx
I
Well the travel distance is the same unless theres traffic then my new school takes longer. The facilities are around the same except i feel like i get more support during lessons in my old school whereas in my new school i feel quite alone

Thanks for the advice xx

I think you just need to adapt to the new environment. If you ask for help, you'll get all the support you'll need. It depends on the student, like that person got 4 A*s. I think your parent's decisions are right too. So, if that gives any peace of mind, then do your best!

You might want to read this though:
How to smash your a-levels - a guide written by an A* student http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3762349#primary_content
I

I think you just need to adapt to the new environment. If you ask for help, you'll get all the support you'll need. It depends on the student, like that person got 4 A*s. I think your parent's decisions are right too. So, if that gives any peace of mind, then do your best!

You might want to read this though:
How to smash your a-levels - a guide written by an A* student http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3762349#primary_content

I did ask for help but it was like i didn't get any help. Like in maths i asked my teacher and she just wrote what she would do and didn't explain anything to me and why she did that, which is how i learn in maths
I did ask for help but it was like i didn't get any help. Like in maths i asked my teacher and she just wrote what she would do and didn't explain anything to me and why she did that, which is how i learn in maths

Well My suggestions would, for this particular case, either be more persistent or even possibly better, frame the questions so that the answers support your framework.

So instead of asking "Can you show me how to solve this?"...
Try asking "Can you explain [insert step]?"

Sometimes you have to spontaneously or straight after ask the question or they'll move on too quickly - never be afraid to ask for clarification, chances are someone else will be struggling to. The teacher won't be angry or anything for them answering your questions. If they don't fully explain it, do some research/studying by yourself or go to them when they're free.

Do you think that might help? I find it can help to talk with them 1-1.
Well My suggestions would, for this particular case, either be more persistent or even possibly better, frame the questions so that the answers support your framework.

So instead of asking "Can you show me how to solve this?"...
Try asking "Can you explain [insert step]?"

Sometimes you have to spontaneously or straight after ask the question or they'll move on too quickly - never be afraid to ask for clarification, chances are someone else will be struggling to. The teacher won't be angry or anything for them answering your questions. If they don't fully explain it, do some research/studying by yourself or go to them when they're free.

Do you think that might help? I find it can help to talk with them 1-1.

I try talking to them but they still explain it in a way i don't understand it and its all very quick and fast paced. I tried to talk to my head of sixth form but she was very rude to me. And i have done research but i cannot find anything online
I try talking to them but they still explain it in a way i don't understand it and its all very quick and fast paced. I tried to talk to my head of sixth form but she was very rude to me. And i have done research but i cannot find anything online

Well, I don't know if you know these, but these are the solutions I have in mind.

1. Textbook questions practice practice practice - little bit every day goes a long way
2. Examsolutions - a website which has VERY useful videos in nearly all aspects and dedicated to maths and he goes through the problems slowly, I want to donate to him.
3. PMRS - my own Acronym - Past Papers, Mark Schemes, Examiner Reports, Syllabus/Specification checklist. Search the exam board website, download the past papers, open the pdf and pick and choose relevant questions and attempt them on paper. Mark them and see where you went wrong and see alternative solutions or other info in the Mark Schemes. Read the report about the question. Once you've tackled a certain aspect in that area, tick it in the specification which you should have printed out (not all of it, just a few relevant pages).
4. Mymaths lessons and homeworks.

The trick is to consistently work smartly and hard. I've linked to you the guide to smash your A-levels which will be really useful. Don't fall behind. If you're stuck ask your class mates too - It's been proven that if someone teaches someone else something they tend to remember it better, so it's a benefit for them to teach you.

What did you speak to your head of 6th form about? And I'm curious, in what way was she rude/insulting?
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, I don't know if you know these, but these are the solutions I have in mind.

1. Textbook questions practice practice practice - little bit every day goes a long way
2. Examsolutions - a website which has VERY useful videos in nearly all aspects and dedicated to maths and he goes through the problems slowly, I want to donate to him.
3. PMRS - my own Acronym - Past Papers, Mark Schemes, Examiner Reports, Syllabus/Specification checklist. Search the exam board website, download the past papers, open the pdf and pick and choose relevant questions and attempt them on paper. Mark them and see where you went wrong and see alternative solutions or other info in the Mark Schemes. Read the report about the question. Once you've tackled a certain aspect in that area, tick it in the specification which you should have printed out (not all of it, just a few relevant pages).
4. Mymaths lessons and homeworks.

The trick is to consistently work smartly and hard. I've linked to you the guide to smash your A-levels which will be really useful. Don't fall behind. If you're stuck ask your class mates too - It's been proven that if someone teaches someone else something they tend to remember it better, so it's a benefit for them to teach you.

What did you speak to your head of 6th form about? And I'm curious, in what way was she rude/insulting?

I don't get it to the point where i can't even do the exercises in the textbooks. I'm not just struggling with maths so i'd have to do that for each subject i'm doing which i'll never get to in time and finish my homework and do extra curricular activities at the same time. I can't even do my homework without help from a classmate and i don't want to ask them every time since they have things to do. And i'm doing Edexcel maths so it wouldn't help xD

I asked her very politely if i could speak to her and she was like shouting at me like no if you want to come talk to me i'll be sorting some stuff at lunch and just left.
Reply 13

Thanks in advance

Just apply for any options you're considering right now, have a long think about it. Apply for both your old and new school, you can turn them down later if you get accepted anyway! I was panicking this time last year about it too but really like its fine, just think what's best for you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get it to the point where i can't even do the exercises in the textbooks. I'm not just struggling with maths so i'd have to do that for each subject i'm doing which i'll never get to in time and finish my homework and do extra curricular activities at the same time. I can't even do my homework without help from a classmate and i don't want to ask them every time since they have things to do. And i'm doing Edexcel maths so it wouldn't help xD

I asked her very politely if i could speak to her and she was like shouting at me like no if you want to come talk to me i'll be sorting some stuff at lunch and just left.

That 6th form person sounds stressed and unprofessional and someone was kind of like that to me too but I forgave her. I haven't talked to her since though.

Anyway, if you're struggling to the point where you can't do your homework, you could benefit from some extra tuition. Make sure to get a good tutor and do your homework the minute you get it so the work is fresh in your head.

And don't worry, you have a second teacher here:
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/

I don't know your circumstances so I don't want to impose, but dreams betray many, but hard work is some consolation at least, even if you don't achieve your dreams. What I'm saying is, there is nearly always a way around something. You have to be dedicated and disciplined. My problem was and slightly still is: "Self-control" and I lacked the self-discipline and self-awareness to control myself. My lack of control led me to countless problems which I shan't speak of. But yeah... I thought I realised my mistakes at GCSE, but I never did. Only after the disappointment after AS exams, did I realise my utterly dark mistakes.

My last biggest issue was not knowing how to teach myself how to learn. I didn't know how to learn or study. So I had to teach myself. Indeed, it's hard work but you have to utilise many methods - Flash Cards, Routine studying, sleep, exercise, healthy eating, powerpoints, mind maps, colours, consolidation of notes every day (that means re-writing your notes and reorganising them in a useful way). I'm consistent on telling you about the guide to smash your A-levels because not studying smartly (and hard, don't get me wrong haha!) was something that let me down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J0333
Just apply for any options you're considering right now, have a long think about it. Apply for both your old and new school, you can turn them down later if you get accepted anyway! I was panicking this time last year about it too but really like its fine, just think what's best for you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive already started my A-levels and i only have till wednesday till i cannot go back to my old school. I'm wondering if i would do better at somewhere where i'm more comfortable but doesn't have as good of a reputation, or somewhere where i'm uncomfortable but has a good reputation?
That 6th form person sounds stressed and unprofessional and someone was kind of like that to me too but I forgave her. I haven't talked to her since though.

Anyway, if you're struggling to the point where you can't do your homework, you could benefit from some extra tuition. Make sure to get a good tutor and do your homework the minute you get it so the work is fresh in your head.

And don't worry, you have a second teacher here:
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/

I don't know your circumstances so I don't want to impose, but dreams betray many, but hard work is some consolation at least, even if you don't achieve your dreams. What I'm saying is, there is nearly always a way around something. You have to be dedicated and disciplined. My problem was and slightly still is: "Self-control" and I lacked the self-discipline and self-awareness to control myself. My lack of control led me to countless problems which I shan't speak of. But yeah... I thought I realised my mistakes at GCSE, but I never did. Only after the disappointment after AS exams, did I realise my utterly dark mistakes.

My last biggest issue was not knowing how to teach myself how to learn. I didn't know how to learn or study. So I had to teach myself. Indeed, it's hard work but you have to utilise many methods - Flash Cards, Routine studying, sleep, exercise, healthy eating, powerpoints, mind maps, colours, consolidation of notes every day (that means re-writing your notes and reorganising them in a useful way). I'm consistent on telling you about the guide to smash your A-levels because not studying smartly (and hard, don't get me wrong haha!) was something that let me down.

But wouldn't it be better to go some place where i know the teacher can teach me in the way i learn rather than spend extra on tuition? This is why i'm struggling to make a decision. The struggling just stresses me out even more and i think i might have a mental breakdown before i finish my a levels
But wouldn't it be better to go some place where i know the teacher can teach me in the way i learn rather than spend extra on tuition? This is why i'm struggling to make a decision. The struggling just stresses me out even more and i think i might have a mental breakdown before i finish my a levels

I've never had a mental breakdown so I can't relate there, but I can empathise. The thing is, it should actually be more beneficial getting used to new teachers - you'll be seeing a lot of "new" teachers in your life - and something may happen to your old teacher so don't count on it.

Don't stress out, simply prioritise your tasks. It's A-level. It's going to be hard regardless of who your teacher is. And trust me, examsolutions and the guide will really help.

Get a good night's rest. Out of ALL my mistakes, not sleeping on time was the worst one.
Reply 18
Ive already started my A-levels and i only have till wednesday till i cannot go back to my old school. I'm wondering if i would do better at somewhere where i'm more comfortable but doesn't have as good of a reputation, or somewhere where i'm uncomfortable but has a good reputation?

Ohh sorry! Well it's more about motivation for revision and if you feel like you're learning from the lessons! Somewhere where you're more comfortable is better but I'm sure things will change if you stayed there anyway as you get to know people! The reputation of a school doesn't really mean much imo as it depends what teacher you have and stuff! Is there a more favoured option? 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never had a mental breakdown so I can't relate there, but I can empathise. The thing is, it should actually be more beneficial getting used to new teachers - you'll be seeing a lot of "new" teachers in your life - and something may happen to your old teacher so don't count on it.

Don't stress out, simply prioritise your tasks. It's A-level. It's going to be hard regardless of who your teacher is. And trust me, examsolutions and the guide will really help.

Get a good night's rest. Out of ALL my mistakes, not sleeping on time was the worst one.

True, thank you very much, your advice has really helped!

Quick Reply

Latest