The Student Room Group

Motorway driving

I've clocked a fair few miles on the motorway, and the thing that really grinds my gears is middle lane hoggers.

Picture the scene: it's the M1, about 11PM at night so dark and relatively empty, traveling in Lane 1 as you should, and then you encounter a vehicle in Lane 2 whilst the motorway is clear - you either;
A) undertake the car by continuing in lane 1 which is illegal
B) overtake the car by pulling across the entire width of the motorway which in wet conditions could be dangerous
C) flash the vehicle in the hope it moves into lane 1 so you can overtake in lane 2 safely

What these people don't realise is that if pulled by the Police its an endorsable offence. It really annoys me jfc.

Not only that, but when people don't indicate to change lane on the motorway :angry:

Anyone else get really annoyed by this or is it just me? :')

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This winds me up so much. I wish we still had a fully staffed motorway police unit where I live, so that they could actually stop these people.

My driving instructor was very clear when I was learning - If you're not in the left hand lane, you'd better have a bloody good excuse not to be!
Reply 2
Original post by sek510i
This winds me up so much. I wish we still had a fully staffed motorway police unit where I live, so that they could actually stop these people.

My driving instructor was very clear when I was learning - If you're not in the left hand lane, you'd better have a bloody good excuse not to be!

A couple of years back they changed the legislation so that it's a minimum 100 pound fine and 3 points if caught, but no one ever gets caught :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
A couple of years back they changed the legislation so that it's a minimum 100 pound fine and 3 points if caught, but no one ever gets caught :frown:

When was the last time you saw a police car on the motorway? Because I've only seen HATOs for the last few months now. The only traffic cop I've seen was parked up outside a London police station :/

I also get annoyed by people who change lane without looking to see if it's clear or not. I'm careful not to drive in people's blind spots, but sometimes they just don't look properly....
Reply 4
Original post by sek510i
When was the last time you saw a police car on the motorway? Because I've only seen HATOs for the last few months now. The only traffic cop I've seen was parked up outside a London police station :/

I also get annoyed by people who change lane without looking to see if it's clear or not. I'm careful not to drive in people's blind spots, but sometimes they just don't look properly....

Police just aren't in high demand on the motorway it would seem; they're priority lies in city centres, and the surrounding A roads :/

I was coming back home on the M62 last Saturday and a van came from Lane 1 into Lane 3 where I was without indicating and without checking correctly as he nearly went into me; I had to go past the rumble strip and onto the grass verge for a few seconds to avoid him clipping the rear of my car.

Idiots everywhere.
Reply 5
I suppose they've got to prioritise, but it's still disappointing that it's got to a stage where people can openly break the rules of the road without fear of being stopped.

Some of the best driving advice I've had so far was to assume that almost every other driver is drunk, blind or trying to kill you. Then be pleasantly surprised by the good ones :/
These people annoy me so much! If I'm being honest I would probably just undertake. But what annoys me the most is people who are in the 3rd and don't move to the second even though theres a whole load of people behind them.
I've seen something like that before. Someone in the middle lane going below the speed limit when the left and middle lanes were clear. I'd just undertake in that situation, not much else you can do. They're the ones in the wrong who are causing the problem.

Not looking or indicating when changing lanes annoys me as well. I was driving back from Cardiff down to Devon the other week and before I'd even got to the Severn Bridge I'd had 2 near misses where cars changed lanes right into the path of oncoming cars; one where they actually pulled out right in front of me going well below the speed limit, and one in front of me in the middle lane that changed lanes and nearly crashed into a car going past me in the right lane. Both of those could have very easily caused a crash, and would have caused a pile-up if there was more traffic.
Reply 8
Original post by sek510i
I suppose they've got to prioritise, but it's still disappointing that it's got to a stage where people can openly break the rules of the road without fear of being stopped.

Some of the best driving advice I've had so far was to assume that almost every other driver is drunk, blind or trying to kill you. Then be pleasantly surprised by the good ones :/

Aye, good advice that :')

Original post by SaraSHFB
These people annoy me so much! If I'm being honest I would probably just undertake. But what annoys me the most is people who are in the 3rd and don't move to the second even though theres a whole load of people behind them.

Original post by RF_PineMarten
I've seen something like that before. Someone in the middle lane going below the speed limit when the left and middle lanes were clear. I'd just undertake in that situation, not much else you can do. They're the ones in the wrong who are causing the problem.

Not looking or indicating when changing lanes annoys me as well. I was driving back from Cardiff down to Devon the other week and before I'd even got to the Severn Bridge I'd had 2 near misses where cars changed lanes right into the path of oncoming cars; one where they actually pulled out right in front of me going well below the speed limit, and one in front of me in the middle lane that changed lanes and nearly crashed into a car going past me in the right lane. Both of those could have very easily caused a crash, and would have caused a pile-up if there was more traffic.

It's unfortunate that our roads are in such a bad state that drivers have to purposely illegally manoeuvre around other vehicles simply because of ignorance, and laziness. Lane hoggers are a danger to themselves, but more importantly, the rest of the road! :frown:
Eh I wouldn't find it frustrating tbh. Just keep going in your lane, okay you're undertaking I suppose..not that it would enter my mind at all.

If it was totally empty for ages I feel the frustration, though if there was spotty traffic in lane 1 and they'd stuck in lane 2 for a little too long...well it can happen.

Though from your scenario sounds like they weren't actually driving that fast in lane 2, despite the fact it's breaking the speed limit (...autobahn where art thou?) I'd be hovering at 80 if I were in the middle lane.
Reply 10
Original post by joey11223
Eh I wouldn't find it frustrating tbh. Just keep going in your lane, okay you're undertaking I suppose..not that it would enter my mind at all.

If it was totally empty for ages I feel the frustration, though if there was spotty traffic in lane 1 and they'd stuck in lane 2 for a little too long...well it can happen.

Though from your scenario sounds like they weren't actually driving that fast in lane 2, despite the fact it's breaking the speed limit (...autobahn where art thou?) I'd be hovering at 80 if I were in the middle lane.

Undertaking is illegal for a damn good reason; most people don't check their left as often as their right. You could be about to pass someone on an empty motorway to their left, they realise they shouldn't be in that lane, don't check and see you, and smash you straight off the road. It's happened before, and it will happen again.

Speed is irrelevant; if there is sufficient room to move into the left lane once you have finished overtaking vehicles, you move in. Highway code rule #264!
Original post by IWMTom
Undertaking is illegal for a damn good reason; most people don't check their left as often as their right. You could be about to pass someone on an empty motorway to their left, they realise they shouldn't be in that lane, don't check and see you, and smash you straight off the road. It's happened before, and it will happen again.
OTE]

So you're saying it's illegal because a driver is more likely to be careless when moving from an outer to an inner lane? ....well **** me why don't we just ban driving cars since people crash them. Or just ban changing lanes...

Whew good job I just looked at the highway code eh, it is generally discouraged (though not forbidden) but it is acceptable to undertake in congested conditions where frequent lane changes would further slow traffic. Undertaking being treated as an offence in itself was removed in 1972.
(edited 7 years ago)
Undertaking is not an absolute offence in itself, it's circumstantial and the police are unlikely to do you for it. However, if you cause an accident they'll do you, correctly, for careless driving.

If I come across one I'll sit behind them for a minute or two and see if they realise I'm there, then flash my lights, if they still don't move I'll overtake and give them a glare as I move past.

If someone is hogging the outside lane I WILL undertake them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Undertaking is not an absolute offence in itself, it's circumstantial and the police are unlikely to do you for it. However, if you cause an accident they'll do you, correctly, for careless driving.

If I come across one I'll sit behind them for a minute or two and see if they realise I'm there, then flash my lights, if they still don't move I'll overtake and give them a glare as I move past.

If someone is hogging the outside lane I WILL undertake them.

My understanding was the only real exception is in slow-moving traffic where the inside lanes may be moving slightly faster than the outside?

The look on the faces of people who don't understand why I've flashed them.. it's fantastic. It's even funnier when they leave their main beam on when you go past too - learn the rules of the road instead of being such a dozy pillock!!

Outside lane is a tricky one I suppose, but I can't say I've ever come across that before.
Reply 14
I'll admit when I'm on the motorway I'm usually in the middle lane - but tbf when I'm on the motorway it's busy and I'm overtaking stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Andy98
I'll admit when I'm on the motorway I'm usually in the middle lane - but tbf when I'm on the motorway it's busy and I'm overtaking stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See, it's not as bad when it's busy; I can totally understand that. It frustrates me when it's 11PM at night (when I'm usually travelling down the motorway) and I come across someone taking the absolute P I double S.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
See, it's not as bad when it's busy; I can totally understand that. It frustrates me when it's 11PM at night (when I'm usually travelling down the motorway) and I come across someone taking the absolute P I double S.

Exactly, and I hate it when lorries try overtaking each other - it takes ten bloody minutes and then they're driving line and stern anyway! All they achieve is holding us up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Andy98
Exactly, and I hate it when lorries try overtaking each other - it takes ten bloody minutes and then they're driving line and stern anyway! All they achieve is holding us up.Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ on a bendy-bus when there's a lorry either side of a dual-carriageway I want to shoot myself there and then and be done with it! 😂😂😂
I don't really understand why passing a slow moving car in the middle lane is bad? Why should I have to reduce my speed in the left lane so as to not pass the slow moving car in the middle lane?
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
Christ on a bendy-bus when there's a lorry either side of a dual-carriageway I want to shoot myself there and then and be done with it! 😂😂😂

Love that phrase!

I saw a new one the other week though - I was overtaking a guy with a horse box, as you do; but as I'm catching up to it I realise it's a bloody zebra!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest