The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naruke
The reason why maths is such a great thing is because there are so many ways to go about solving problems. What that RDK kid did above was just one way of solving it...

You could have easily just did

c216a2116a2 c^2 \equiv \frac{\frac{16}{a^2}}{1-\frac{16}{a^2}}
(common denominators, you learned this in the earlier chapters to!)c216a2a216a2 c^2 \equiv \frac{\frac{16}{a^2}}{\frac{a^2 - 16}{a^2}}
c216a2×a2a216 c^2 \equiv \frac{16}{a^2} \times \frac{a^2}{a^2 - 16} (You probably learned this in KS1... abcdab×dc) \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}} \Rightarrow \frac{a}{b} \times \frac{d}{c})
from there it's just a simple case of cancelling the a2 a^2 and multiplying.

I don't think there is a lot of gaps in your knowledge. I think you just need to practice using the skills you've acquired in previous chapters in unusual circumstances.

Yeah you're probably right. I don't think there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge but I do have trouble applying my knowledge to real situations. I mean when things are explained to me I more often than not understand. Like the workings you gave above, I understand everything, but I had trouble applying my own knowledge to it at the time!

I guess I just need to keep practicing as much as possible and try my best not to annoy everyone on TSR :frown:
Original post by Philip-flop
Yeah you're probably right. I don't think there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge but I do have trouble applying my knowledge to real situations. I mean when things are explained to me I more often than not understand. Like the workings you gave above, I understand everything, but I had trouble applying my own knowledge to it at the time!

I guess I just need to keep practicing as much as possible and try my best not to annoy everyone on TSR :frown:

practice practice practice practice
Ok so questions 1,3 and 4 are meant to be worked out without a calculator.
C3 - EXE 6E.png
I've read all the examples up to this set of questions but I still feel incompetent. I managed to figure out Q1(a) and (b) with the basic knowledge I already have but the others are rather daunting. I am aware that...
arctan(x)arctan (x)...is the same as...
Unparseable latex formula:

tan^-^1(x)

... and similarly goes for arcsin and arccos. But I still feel like I am unable to solve these questions without the use of a calculator :frown:
Ok so questions 1,3 and 4 are meant to be worked out without a calculator.
I've read all the examples up to this set of questions but I still feel incompetent. I managed to figure out Q1(a) and (b) with the basic knowledge I already have but the others are rather daunting. I am aware that...
arctan(x)arctan (x)...is the same as...

tan^-^1(x)

... and similarly goes for arcsin and arccos. But I still feel like I am unable to solve these questions without the use of a calculator :frown:

Best case here is to draw these two triangles and work out the values from them which is straight forward if you know your basic triangle trigonometry:

The one on the left is an equilateral triangle which can be split straight down, while the one on the right is your normal 45 degree right-angled triangle.

Also know that:

cos(x)=cos(x)\cos(-x)=\cos(x)

and

sin(x)=sin(x)\sin(-x)=-\sin(x)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Best case here is to draw these two triangles and work out the values from them which is straight forward if you know your triangle trigonometry:

The one on the left is an equilateral triangle which can be split straight down, while the one on the right is your normal 45 degree right-angled triangle.

Oh yeah, I had a feeling I'd have to refer to those triangles. Only ever used them with the angles as degrees though I'm sure it's the same kind of principle.

Also know that:

and

Oh wow. I've never come across these before. I shall write them down and try to remember them from memory. :smile:

Thanks again!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Also know that:

and

These could easily be derived if you bothered to learn the unit circle definition, not directed at you RDK kid
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh yeah, I had a feeling I'd have to refer to those triangles. Only ever used them with the angles as degrees though I'm sure it's the same kind of principle.

It is the same principle, just radians instead of degrees.

Oh wow. I've never come across these before. I shall write them down and try to remember them from memory. :smile:

Thanks again!!

You can also derive tan(x)\tan(-x) from those two.

It can also be useful to draw sketches of sine and cosine graphs for inverses if you wish.
Original post by Naruke
These could easily be derived if you bothered to learn the unit circle definition, not directed at you RDK kid

I've never heard of the unit circle definition. :colondollar:

It's difficult filling gaps in your knowledge for Maths when previously you hadn't studied the subject since school 6/7 years ago :frown:
So yeah, obviously I'm not some Maths wizard. A lot of the things I have been covering during A-level Maths is completely new to me.

You can also derive tan(x)\tan(-x) from those two.

It can also be useful to draw sketches of sine and cosine graphs for inverses if you wish.

So you mean as in...

tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)=sin(x)cos(x) tan (-x) = \frac{sin (-x)}{cos (-x)}= \frac{-sin(x)}{cos(x)}...?
I've never heard of the unit circle definition. :colondollar:

It's difficult filling gaps in your knowledge for Maths when previously you hadn't studied the subject since school 6/7 years ago :frown:
So yeah, obviously I'm not some Maths wizard. A lot of the things I have been covering during A-level Maths is completely new to me.

When I was lacking in trigonometry, I just watched all the trig videos in the KhanAcademy playlist and done the quizzes. Trust me if you understand these videos you'll find the C3 trig easy peasy.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/trigonometry
So you mean as in...

tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)=sin(x)cos(x) tan (-x) = \frac{sin (-x)}{cos (-x)}= \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}...?

Yep, but...

tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)sin(x)cos(x)tan (-x) = \frac{sin (-x)}{cos (-x)} \not= \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}

EDIT: You got it, saw the edit, and you can turn it back into tan now. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
When I was lacking in trigonometry, I just watched all the trig videos in the KhanAcademy playlist and done the quizzes. Trust me if you understand these videos you'll find the C3 trig easy peasy.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/trigonometry

Thank you. I will definitely check that website out for the topics on trigonometry :smile: :smile:

Yep, but...

tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)sin(x)cos(x)tan (-x) = \frac{sin (-x)}{cos (-x)} \not= \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}

EDIT: You got it, saw the edit, and you can turn it back into tan now. :smile:

Sorry I was meant to put a minus in front of that to give ... -sin(x)
tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)=sin(x)cos(x) tan (-x) = \frac{sin (-x)}{cos (-x)}= \frac{-sin(x)}{cos(x)}
Ok so I decided to come back to doing those questions from the textbook after browsing the Khan Academy website and it turns out I don't really know how to use them trig triangles afterall :frown: I've used the triangle trig ratios when I'm given an angle for example... sin(300) sin(300^{\circ}) ... but I'm not quite sure how to use it in these circumstances :frown:

Ok so for question 1c I know I have to do...

arctan(1) arctan (-1)

tan^-^1 (-1)

and I know that in this case, tan is negative so it appears in the 2nd and 4th quadrant. But I still don't know how to use these trig ratio triangles :frown:

(edited 7 years ago)
Ok so I decided to come back to doing those questions from the textbook after browsing the Khan Academy website and it turns out I don't really know how to use them trig triangles afterall :frown: I've used the triangle trig ratios when I'm given an angle for example... sin(300) sin(300^{\circ}) ... but I'm not quite sure how to use it in these circumstances :frown:

Also know that sin(x)=sin(x360)=sin((360x))=sin(360x)\sin(x)=\sin(x-360)=\sin(-(360-x))=-\sin(360-x)

Just use the graphs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also know that sin(x)=sin(x360)=sin((360x))=sin(360x)\sin(x)=\sin(x-360)=\sin(-(360-x))=-\sin(360-x)

Just use the graphs.

Or shall I just use my calculator cos I will have it on me for the C3 exam anyway?

I'm kinda being stubborn and want to know how to use the trig ratio triangles for these examples :colondollar:
Can someone please explain? :frown:
Can someone please explain? :frown:

Do you want an explanation using the CAST diagram? Do you understand it now?
Original post by notnek
Do you want an explanation using the CAST diagram? Do you understand it now?

Yes please. I know that..

tan^-^1 (-1)

... appears in the 2nd and 4th quadrant.

Could you also explain the Trig Ratio Triangles for this example too?:frown:
Yes please. I know that..

tan^-^1 (-1)

... appears in the 2nd and 4th quadrant.

Could you also explain the Trig Ratio Triangles for this example too?:frown:

I was going to explain how to find sin300\sin 300 but that would involve explaining the exact trig values and using CAST. I don't have time now to do that and don't want to give a short crap explanation.

Instead I'll be lazy and point you to two videos. Together they will show you how to find things like sin300\sin 300:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoyVdhHOV_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhAtctYy8g

If I have time tomorrow I can help or maybe someone else will be kind enough to explain.

By the way, I know students who have got an A* in A Level maths without ever learning the exact trig values, since you're allowed a calculator in the exam. But they're a nice tool to be able to attempt certain questions that require them and really understand all the trig concepts.
Original post by notnek
I was going to explain how to find sin300\sin 300 but that would involve explaining the exact trig values and using CAST. I don't have time now to do that and don't want to give a short crap explanation.

Instead I'll be lazy and point you to two videos. Together they will show you how to find things like sin300\sin 300:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoyVdhHOV_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhAtctYy8g

If I have time tomorrow I can help or maybe someone else will be kind enough to explain.

By the way, I know students who have got an A* in A Level maths without ever learning the exact trig values, since you're allowed a calculator in the exam. But they're a nice tool to be able to attempt certain questions that require them and really understand all the trig concepts.

Thank you. The only problem is I mentioned that I already know how to solve things like ... sin(300) sin(300)...

I want to know how to find the angle xx for example when... tan(x)=1 tan (x) = -1... without using a calculator :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest