The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont know why birmingham gets such hate.Its actually a pretty nice city.Yeah it has some bad parts but so does every city.The city centre is nice.It has loads of resturants and bars.Its certainly better than some places Ive been.Yeah its not exactly london or new york but no where is really.It annoys me people make it sound like coventry.Its not.you want a crap city go there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Dont live there but prefer the vibe there to Manchester, the white folk are very unassuming and much less gobby and confrontational than the NW. Decent Desi food availability, good shopping, good underground music scene whether it be House/Garage or Rock/Metal.
I'm going to EGX Birmingham this Thursday. I'll let you know.
Original post by silverbolt
Brum is a dump. best thing in it is the roads out of there.

Lived there for ten years saw enough of it last a life time

Original post by bassbabe
Take it from a native brummie: it's a shithole and the nicest parts are on the outskirts. Only good thing about it is the nightlife. Solihull is nice but the people there are stuck up knobs. I only have one more year living here and then off to uni, thank god!

Lel really. I hear warwick, solihull and wolverhampton are nice
Original post by ForcomeAnarchist
XXX .

How's Edgbaston?
Original post by Robby2312
I dont know why birmingham gets such hate.Its actually a pretty nice city.Yeah it has some bad parts but so does every city.The city centre is nice.It has loads of resturants and bars.Its certainly better than some places Ive been.Yeah its not exactly london or new york but no where is really.It annoys me people make it sound like coventry.Its not.you want a crap city go there.

Don't even get me started on Coventry :colonhash:

How's Edgbaston??
Original post by IRoranth
How's Edgbaston??

Edgbaston is pretty nice: the part near hagley road and the botanical gardens
don't go sparkhill alum rock small heath handsworth maybe hockley etc......the city is decent sized and you can walk from the financial bit up to the jewellery quarter and bullring pretty quickly. you wont need to go to far from the center imo so aston uni area to bullring should be fine

Birmingham is in no way comparable to coventry.Coventry has one run down bus station and a couple of churches.Birmingham has the mailbox,the bullring,the cube,brindley place,resorts world and a bunch of places in the city centre.It has like 5 cinemas as well.O h and the german market is always good as well.
Thank you all! :biggrin:

I didn't know you guys had Bourneville/ Cadbury World too :drool:
Original post by Robby2312
Birmingham is in no way comparable to coventry.Coventry has one run down bus station and a couple of churches.Birmingham has the mailbox,the bullring,the cube,brindley place,resorts world and a bunch of places in the city centre.It has like 5 cinemas as well.O h and the german market is always good as well.

+ Grand Central & the Great Western Arcade (one of the hidden gems, lovely shopping centre)

Aston being mentioned :biggrin: even for a shitehole it has things there like this - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186402-d1036051-Reviews-The_Bartons_Arms-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186402-d213997-Reviews-Aston_Hall-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html
Original post by Foo.mp3
Erm :erm:

???

It's alright, I guess
Original post by IRoranth
How's Edgbaston?

It's a really nice place !! Can't say I've visited that area much but from what I've seen...pretty darn clean.
Original post by neal95
don't go sparkhill alum rock small heath handsworth maybe hockley etc......the city is decent sized and you can walk from the financial bit up to the jewellery quarter and bullring pretty quickly. you wont need to go to far from the center imo so aston uni area to bullring should be fine

Lmao there's a list on the first page about 10 areas long :laugh:
Also stay away from these areas:
Small Heath
Sparkbrook
Sparkhill
Bordesley Green
Hockley
Alum Rock
Washwood Heath
Saltley
Aston
Nechelles

Handsworth
I've lived in Birmingham all my life (well minus 3 years in Bristol for uni and 3 months in the US) and I quite like it. I come from a pretty well-off area but I like the city centre too. The Bullring and the main streets off there (New Street etc) are good for shopping, the area round by the canals is pretty (Broad Street) and I love the Museum and Art Gallery in Chamberlain Square. Just don't go to Propaganda for a night out.
Reply 59
Original post by bones-mccoy
I've lived in Birmingham all my life (well minus 3 years in Bristol for uni and 3 months in the US) and I quite like it. I come from a pretty well-off area but I like the city centre too. The Bullring and the main streets off there (New Street etc) are good for shopping, the area round by the canals is pretty (Broad Street) and I love the Museum and Art Gallery in Chamberlain Square. Just don't go to Propaganda for a night out.

propaganda is great!!

Latest