The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Business at greenwich?

Im in year 13 wanting to do accounting/management at uni and i like the look of greenwich. What is it really like there?
Reply 1
Hi, I'm a third year Accounting and Finance student, currently studying at the University of Greenwich.
Jumping to the point,
The main reason I chose to study at Greenwich, is because my degree offers 9 exemptions in ACCA and 6 exemptions in ACA. (professional qualifications)
Teaching and academia
In my first year understanding the material was breeze because I studied accounting during A-levels. Teaching was slow paced and relaxed (with the odd in class test), lecturers are open for questions and tutorial sizes are quite small. Lectures and tutorials happened four days a week.
In my second year, optional module (Taxation) was difficult due to ACCA exemption. Introduction of core modules which you had to get 50% in to pass were introduced to uphold the quality of teaching in order to maintain these exemptions. Usual grade pass rate is 40%. Was really no big deal if you managed your workload and put in hours of revision, I know some people who failed and were forced to retake. I would recommend researching on optional modules beforehand.Find the webpage for your course and view "what you'll study" for year 2 and 3 I have friends on the Business and Finance course who have little choice in regards to their options, meaning they are forced to do trivial professional development modules.
If you study Accounting and Finance, I would recommend picking up taxation and auditing as these are most beneficial. Note (for years 1 and 2) : my course was largely exam based with a couple essays small essays (2000 words).
Social life / Campuses Luckily my course was taught in the main Greenwich campus,
Made friends easily and went out every other day. Not much to do socially in Greenwich, apart from the Cooper building student union building or wetherspoons at Cutty Sark. (Student budget)
30 mins from central is decent I haven't spent much time in the other campuses, apart from when one of my exams were held in the Avery Hill campus, place looked isolated and something from a ghost town plot. Overall, its a decent university. I wouldn't recommend studying any other courses apart from Accounting and Finance, although I am bias. Will be happy to answer any further questions
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by pandawut
Hi, I'm a third year Accounting and Finance student, currently studying at the University of Greenwich.
Jumping to the point,
The main reason I chose to study at Greenwich, is because my degree offers 9 exemptions in ACCA and 6 exemptions in ACA. (professional qualifications)
Teaching and academia
In my first year understanding the material was breeze because I studied accounting during A-levels. Teaching was slow paced and relaxed (with the odd in class test), lecturers are open for questions and tutorial sizes are quite small. Lectures and tutorials happened four days a week.
In my second year, optional module (Taxation) was difficult due to ACCA exemption. Introduction of core modules which you had to get 50% in to pass were introduced to uphold the quality of teaching in order to maintain these exemptions. Usual grade pass rate is 40%. Was really no big deal if you managed your workload and put in hours of revision, I know some people who failed and were forced to retake. I would recommend researching on optional modules beforehand.Find the webpage for your course and view "what you'll study" for year 2 and 3 I have friends on the Business and Finance course who have little choice in regards to their options, meaning they are forced to do trivial professional development modules.
If you study Accounting and Finance, I would recommend picking up taxation and auditing as these are most beneficial. Note (for years 1 and 2) : my course was largely exam based with a couple essays small essays (2000 words).
Social life / Campuses Luckily my course was taught in the main Greenwich campus,
Made friends easily and went out every other day. Not much to do socially in Greenwich, apart from the Cooper building student union building or wetherspoons at Cutty Sark. (Student budget)
30 mins from central is decent I haven't spent much time in the other campuses, apart from when one of my exams were held in the Avery Hill campus, place looked isolated and something from a ghost town plot. Overall, its a decent university. I wouldn't recommend studying any other courses apart from Accounting and Finance, although I am bias. Will be happy to answer any further questions

firstly, thank you! that was probably the most useful response i've ever read. When you say the group sizes are pretty small, what do you mean? (eg 200 people. 50 people etc) just a rough guess :smile: also do you mean you wouldnt study anything other than accounting and finance full stop or you wouldn't study anything else at greenwich? thank you!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Rainbowcorn
firstly, thank you! that was probably the most useful response i've ever read. When you say the group sizes are pretty small, what do you mean? (eg 200 people. 50 people etc) just a rough guess :smile: also do you mean you wouldnt study anything other than accounting and finance full stop or you wouldn't study anything else at greenwich? thank you!! :smile:

Thanks. I'm pretty new to this and didn't expect there to be a huge wall of text. First year consisted of classroom lessons (tutorials) of about 20 people per class , 6 classes for each module, which you will be assigned to one. (120 ish people) . Although, I was told that Accounting and Finance is the most subscribed course in the business faculty. The class sizes maintain to carry 20 per class throughout in my second year. However, the number of classes dropped due to drop outs and degree specializations. (Year 1 is more of a foundation level where students studying accounting and finance, accounting and information systems and finance are taught under within the same course). I hope to enter a private accounting firm when I graduate, firms don't really look at what you studied rather they are more interested in you having : A 2:1 or higher, work experience, extra curricular involvement, UCAS points (mostly 300- 320 will do depending on which service you want to get into). I have friends who have entered firms with languages degrees
The reasons I'm doing a degree is to obtain exemptions off my post graduate qualification which will hopefully mean I become certified sooner. Also another point to mention is the transition from degree to post graduate can be difficult for some people due to the fast pace nature of learning whilst working
That being said, Greenwich is a good university to attend but at this stage you just need to do a lot of forward planning on what your expectations are on your career
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks. I'm pretty new to this and didn't expect there to be a huge wall of text. First year consisted of classroom lessons (tutorials) of about 20 people per class , 6 classes for each module, which you will be assigned to one. (120 ish people) . Although, I was told that Accounting and Finance is the most subscribed course in the business faculty. The class sizes maintain to carry 20 per class throughout in my second year. However, the number of classes dropped due to drop outs and degree specializations. (Year 1 is more of a foundation level where students studying accounting and finance, accounting and information systems and finance are taught under within the same course). I hope to enter a private accounting firm when I graduate, firms don't really look at what you studied rather they are more interested in you having : A 2:1 or higher, work experience, extra curricular involvement, UCAS points (mostly 300- 320 will do depending on which service you want to get into). I have friends who have entered firms with languages degrees
The reasons I'm doing a degree is to obtain exemptions off my post graduate qualification which will hopefully mean I become certified sooner. Also another point to mention is the transition from degree to post graduate can be difficult for some people due to the fast pace nature of learning whilst working
That being said, Greenwich is a good university to attend but at this stage you just need to do a lot of forward planning on what your expectations are on your career

ah i thought it'd be more than 20 per class! Congrats and I hope you get to enter that firm :smile: Thanks so much, so useful! 1 last question. how good at maths are/were you? I got an A in gcse and C in gcse further (could have got better if revised etc) but im not doing a level maths and a lot of people have told me that the maths required will be way trickier. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Rainbowcorn
ah i thought it'd be more than 20 per class! Congrats and I hope you get to enter that firm :smile: Thanks so much, so useful! 1 last question. how good at maths are/were you? I got an A in gcse and C in gcse further (could have got better if revised etc) but im not doing a level maths and a lot of people have told me that the maths required will be way trickier. :smile:

I studied maths up til gcse level back when there was fast track linear and got a B. I sat this back in year 9 and should have resat it knowing its significance now. I then went on to do a statistics gcse and got another B. I didn't do an A level in maths, but I did do one in accounting. I only found myself using formulaic math for my stats module in first year (which is not very hard), since then I don't consider the math particularly difficult, nothing you cant do on a calculator :wink:. I believe the math requirement at A-levels isn't particular down to the difficulty of the calculations but more of a way to attract people who aren't distressed by them.
Reply 6
I studied maths up til gcse level back when there was fast track linear and got a B. I sat this back in year 9 and should have resat it knowing its significance now. I then went on to do a statistics gcse and got another B. I didn't do an A level in maths, but I did do one in accounting. I only found myself using formulaic math for my stats module in first year (which is not very hard), since then I don't consider the math particularly difficult, nothing you cant do on a calculator :wink:. I believe the math requirement at A-levels isn't particular down to the difficulty of the calculations but more of a way to attract people who aren't distressed by them.

ah really, yeah that sounds about right! Great to know, thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending