The Student Room Group

Need help with a differentiation question

Find the equation of the normal to y=cosecx at the point (1/2pi,1)

I differentiated this and got -coesecxcotx so if I want to find the gradient of the tangent, surely I just need to sub in 0.5pi in x. However it doesn't give me a value but it gives me 0 when I used the dy/dx button on my calculator... I think this is to do with the cotx graph not having a gradient at that point...

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coconut64
Find the equation of the normal to y=cosecx at the point (1/2pi,1)

I differentiated this and got -coesecxcotx so if I want to find the gradient of the tangent, surely I just need to sub in 0.5pi in x. However it doesn't give me a value but it gives me 0 when I used the dy/dx button on my calculator... I think this is to do with the cotx graph not having a gradient at that point...

Thanks

Then 0 is the gradient of the tangent, the tangent is a line parallel to the x axis.
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
Then 0 is the gradient of the tangent, the tangent is a line parallel to the x axis.

why does -cot 1/2pi not produce a value then ? Thanks
why does -cot 1/2pi not produce a value then ? Thanks

It does, it is 0. it is -cos(pi/2) / sin(pi/2) = 0/-1 = 0
If the tangent is 0, then it is parallel to the x axis, the perpendicular normal is then parallel to the y axis, you need to know where it crosses the x axis to form the equation of the normal.
Reply 5
It does, it is 0. it is -cos(pi/2) / sin(pi/2) = 0/-1 = 0

How come that's the not case with -1/tanx ?

because tan(pi/2) is undefined, there is an asymptote on at that point on the y= tanx graph. Also sinπ2cosπ2 \frac{sin\frac{\pi}{2}}{cos\frac{\pi}{2}} is undefined as cosπ2=0 cos\frac{\pi}{2} = 0 and division by 0 returns an undefined result, but this isn't the case with cot x.
Reply 7

You should think of cotx as cosx/sinx rather than 1/tanx as it causes problems at odd multiple of π/2 \pi /2 .
Reply 8
Original post by B_9710
You should think of cotx as cosx/sinx rather than 1/tanx as it causes problems at odd multiple of π/2 \pi /2 .

Oh okay, so this is the case for pi/2 and what other values ? Thanks
Reply 9
Oh okay, so this is the case for pi/2 and what other values ? Thanks

All the values where tanx=0.
Reply 10
because tan(pi/2) is undefined, there is an asymptote on at that point on the y= tanx graph. Also sinπ2cosπ2 \frac{sin\frac{\pi}{2}}{cos\frac{\pi}{2}} is undefined as cosπ2=0 cos\frac{\pi}{2} = 0 and division by 0 returns an undefined result, but this isn't the case with cot x.

Okay, I will bear that in mind thanks. For the equation for the normal, I got y=1 at the end, correct?
Reply 11
Original post by B_9710
All the values where tanx=0.

Is the equation of the normal y=1? thx
Reply 12
Is the equation of the normal y=1? thx

That's the tangent.
Reply 13
Original post by B_9710
That's the tangent.

Why would that be because the gradient of the normal is 0...Thanks
Okay, I will bear that in mind thanks. For the equation for the normal, I got y=1 at the end, correct?

That is a horizontal line; the tangent. You need the normal, which is parallel to the y axis.
Reply 15
That is a horizontal line; the tangent. You need the normal, which is parallel to the y axis.

But the gradient of the normal is also 0 though...
But the gradient of the normal is also 0 though...

No it isn't. It is perpendicular to the tangent. The gradient of the normal is undefined, it has infinite slope.
Reply 17
No it isn't. It is perpendicular to the tangent. The gradient of the normal is undefined, it has infinite slope.

Right... So the normal equation will just be x=0? thanks
Right... So the normal equation will just be x=0? thanks

Almost, it would need to cross the curve at (pi/2, 1).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Almost, it would need to cross the curve at (pi/2, 1).

hence, x=pi/2?

Quick Reply