The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookiemunch12
How do you convert your marks to scores? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474661440.452071.jpg here you go this is from the Kaplan book I have 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeyaG
Thanks Squishy! I just can't decide between oxford and Cambridge as I want oxbridge to be my first choice. Any advice?

Good gcses? Oxford.

Otherwise... Cambridge (you need 2 A*s though).
Original post by ellen111
i am getting seriously low marks in VR for the mocks. can someone pleasee give any advice on how to improve in this area?

If you're struggling to answer the VR questions, focus on quickly reading and understanding the passage before you answer questions esp if they're not T/F/CT. Guess the rest if you have time. Alternatively, if the passage looks hard flag it and move onto another one. You're better off getting 3/5 of all VR right than rushing through all of them.
Anyone who took the UKCAT recently, is there more T/F/CT questions vs the other?
Original post by DogTheDoctor
Anyone who took the UKCAT recently, is there more T/F/CT questions vs the other?

Less T/F/CT. Generally you'll get 3/4 sets of T/F/CT and the rest type 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5605
Hi guys,

I took my UKCAT yesterday morning and got an average of 747:

640 VR
850 QR
750 AR
Band 2 SJ

Would anyone know if this score is competitive for graduate entry medicine? or indeed normal entry?
As this will likely be my last attempt to get into medicine, are there any universities where i would be likely to get an interview with this score?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
Original post by GavinJR
Hi guys,

640 VR
850 QR
750 AR
Band 2 SJ

Would anyone know if this score is competitive for graduate entry medicine? or indeed normal entry?
As this will likely be my last attempt to get into medicine, are there any universities where i would be likely to get an interview with this score?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

Good job!
Original post by michaela__
Just try and start again. Forget how you've been doing and just practice questions and then start doing intense time practice. VR for me was harder in the exam but you never know you could get quite a lot of t/f/can't tell and find it absolutely fine! Just keep practicing and it'll improve your timing quite a bit and don't be afraid to guess and flag the hard questions. There's only so much you can do, just be confident on the day and know you've done all you can. 😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what way was QR easier in the exam? Because I just did the Mock B on UKCAT website and did sooooo bad :'(. This started off as my best section but even on Medify I do terrible now!?!? Your scores were so much better than my practice scores!!!! I struggle for timing a fair bit on that section but the questions I just find really difficult tbh, going to make me sound stupid on tsr lol

I hate this exam so much. I have always been a straight A student with the highest possible grades and this is the first exam to really mess me up. And badly too!
Original post by GavinJR
Hi guys,

640 VR
850 QR
750 AR
Band 2 SJ

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

That's a great score! I'd say interviews at Warwick , Barts (assuming you have a 1st) and Newcastle are very likely.
Reply 5609
Hi Gavin,

That's a good score for GEM and the normal entry course as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the VR section, in particular the comprehension type questions? I'm struggling to get a decent score in that section.

Thanks

Original post by GavinJR
Hi guys,

640 VR
850 QR
750 AR
Band 2 SJ

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
Original post by .......Jeff458
In what way was QR easier in the exam? Because I just did the Mock B on UKCAT website and did sooooo bad :'(. This started off as my best section but even on Medify I do terrible now!?!? Your scores were so much better than my practice scores!!!! I struggle for timing a fair bit on that section but the questions I just find really difficult tbh, going to make me sound stupid on tsr lol

I hate this exam so much. I have always been a straight A student with the highest possible grades and this is the first exam to really mess me up. And badly too!

I wouldn't say QR was super easy in the exam but I think it's marked better. If you're getting 550-650 in mocks for QR don't worry too much about it. Focus on VR and AR! The exam messed me up too it really makes you doubt how good you are I get you😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5611
Original post by Akz18
Hi Gavin,

That's a good score for GEM and the normal entry course as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the VR section, in particular the comprehension type questions? I'm struggling to get a decent score in that section.

Thanks

Thank you, i have no clue about what's good or bad when it comes to applying for medicine.

I read more books to speed my reading up. I forced my self to read the entire passage (attempting to speed read/picking main points of each paragraph) and then the options. Usually id discount two and then pick the most logical option, referring to the text only if slightly in doubt if its correct. Don't freeze, if you have no clue what to answer having read the entire passage, just guess logically and move on. I missed reading 2 or 3 of the passages and tried making educated guesses from the answers when time was running out. My score was very lucky considering how i felt it went so my method may not be the best option. Good luck.
Reply 5612
>720 for GEM is pretty good average for GEM (from calling up several admission offices) but they did emphasis it depends on the mean scores when UKCAT is finished as DA was removed. Thank you!
Original post by GavinJR
Thank you, i have no clue about what's good or bad when it comes to applying for medicine.

I read more books to speed my reading up. I forced my self to read the entire passage (attempting to speed read/picking main points of each paragraph) and then the options. Usually id discount two and then pick the most logical option, referring to the text only if slightly in doubt if its correct. Don't freeze, if you have no clue what to answer having read the entire passage, just guess logically and move on. I missed reading 2 or 3 of the passages and tried making educated guesses from the answers when time was running out. My score was very lucky considering how i felt it went so my method may not be the best option. Good luck.
Does anyone know when the final ukcat quartiles/results are published?
Original post by Ninjakam119
Does anyone know when the final ukcat quartiles/results are published?

7th October I think I read earlier on the UKCAT website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
7th October I think I read earlier on the UKCAT website!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! And good job on the ukcat, got the exact same score as me :biggrin:
Original post by Ninjakam119
Thanks! And good job on the ukcat, got the exact same score as me :biggrin:

No problem! Thank you! Well done to you too :smile: where you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! Thank you! Well done to you too :smile: where you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's difficult because our scores are above average, but at the same time not exceptional. So far I'm thinking Leicester (first choice), Liverpool, Plymouth and Hull/york. My D in my 4th AS limits my choices a bit but I've got decent achieved A levels, so fingers crossed... How about yourself?
Thank you for telling me those stats! Well I've never done a medicine interview before so hard to tell however I would say I have good interpersonal skills and work experience so it's all what they think about me 😂 I think every applicant thinks they are decent so I guess I'll find out my fate soon lmao 😂 I think making them know who you are is the best thing though shows you are dedicated to their uni, I'll definitely bug uni's in my post rejection gap year if I needed to 😂 no way I couldn't handle BMAT. I've missed one Chem lesson (today) and already I feel a million miles behind 😂and I have chemistry tomorrow 😭 I'm up so late because this is my first night of freedom because ukcat is done now but I'll regret it tomorrow 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

One thing that i learnt with my failures from interviews last year and from talking to an interviewer, they LOVE people who demonstrate values including in personal statement from the values listed in the document "NHS constitution" on page 5. Well if you've done good in UKCAT no need to worry about BMAT!!
Original post by cookiemunch12
What do you mean by questions with "deep thought"? Did they have multiple steps?

By deep thought, i mean just like when you look at a question and you are like what the **** am i meant to do!!!! But when you spend more time understanding the data, you get what to do! I think that the reason i found this a problem is because of my poor poor english lol.
other "deep thought" questions i had, required multiple steps however this was scarce! Most questions were single step! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending