The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninjakam119
It's difficult because our scores are above average, but at the same time not exceptional. So far I'm thinking Leicester (first choice), Liverpool, Plymouth and Hull/york. My D in my 4th AS limits my choices a bit but I've got decent achieved A levels, so fingers crossed... How about yourself?

I know like I love my score but same time wish I had 700+ as my life would be sorted ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm thinking Manchester, Liverpool, st George's, Plymouth! Similar to you! Band 1 would help for HYMS after interview but I don't think my score is High enough to be invited to interview :frown: I managed to miraculously get a b in my physics AS so I'm still buzzing about that since I've dropped it so it looks decent :P just be careful with Liverpool as they want a B in the 4th AS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsmad123
One thing that i learnt with my failures from interviews last year and from talking to an interviewer, they LOVE people who demonstrate values including in personal statement from the values listed in the document "NHS constitution" on page 5. Well if you've done good in UKCAT no need to worry about BMAT!!

Thank you I'll have a look at it! Yes I'm very happy about my ukcat score ๐Ÿ˜‹ nearer the time and if I get any interviews would I be able to message you for more advice please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Thank you I'll have a look at it! Yes I'm very happy about my ukcat score ๐Ÿ˜‹ nearer the time and if I get any interviews would I be able to message you for more advice please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! thats good, luckily theres a lot of UKCAT heavy unis out there! and yeah thats absolutely fine, would always be happy to help :smile: btw i looked at your previous thread message and I'm thinking of applying to same unis as you are thinking except for manchester. Just be a bit cautious with manchester, because even though you meet the UKCAT cut-off people still don't get interviewed. what they do, is choose top ranked 1100-1000 from UKCAT then use the "non academic form" to invite 900 from those who meet UKCAT cut off. From what they were telling me on the phone, is that they are favour people who have a lot of care experience! But then again the non academic form only shreds 100-150ish people
I know like I love my score but same time wish I had 700+ as my life would be sorted ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm thinking Manchester, Liverpool, st George's, Plymouth! Similar to you! Band 1 would help for HYMS after interview but I don't think my score is High enough to be invited to interview :frown: I managed to miraculously get a b in my physics AS so I'm still buzzing about that since I've dropped it so it looks decent :P just be careful with Liverpool as they want a B in the 4th AS!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life would me much simpler with 700+ haha. Band 1 also contributes to your pre-interview score too (15 out of 85 points) at HYMS. Isn't manchester's cut off a little high? Haha my D was in physics... it's fine, I've emailed liverpool and luckily it seems they don't have that 4th AS requirement anymore.
It's difficult because our scores are above average, but at the same time not exceptional. So far I'm thinking Leicester (first choice), Liverpool, Plymouth and Hull/york. My D in my 4th AS limits my choices a bit but I've got decent achieved A levels, so fingers crossed... How about yourself?

A lot of unis having taken away the 4th AS requirement so phone up unis to double check! You may not have realised as some unis have not updated their website!!
A lot of unis having taken away the 4th AS requirement so phone up unis to double check! You may not have realised as some unis have not updated their website!!

Thanks yeah, Liverpool luckily have followed that pattern, still trying to chase up Cardiff but I think they still have that c requirement :/
No problem! thats good, luckily theres a lot of UKCAT heavy unis out there! and yeah thats absolutely fine, would always be happy to help :smile: btw i looked at your previous thread message and I'm thinking of applying to same unis as you are thinking except for manchester. Just be a bit cautious with manchester, because even though you meet the UKCAT cut-off people still don't get interviewed. what they do, is choose top ranked 1100-1000 from UKCAT then use the "non academic form" to invite 900 from those who meet UKCAT cut off. From what they were telling me on the phone, is that they are favour people who have a lot of care experience! But then again the non academic form only shreds 100-150ish people

Yes I've heard that too but thanks for telling me! And thank you! I do have quite a bit of caring work experience like I've volunteered at my local hospital since January and also went to a special school and helped out for a few weeks! So in terms of commitment I have that covered with the hospital hopefully! I also have kind of interesting WE too like I acted as a patient for doctors practicing for their CSA exam! Then I got to shadow my consultant paediatrician who looked after me for a year. On top of that I have a personal illness which is why I want to go into medicine so I have lots of experience in a healthcare setting and I do have care experience (not as much as many but it's about quality still and what I learnt from it so I hope that's enough). For Plymouth and St George's do they literally just look at your cut off and your min academics and invite you to interview? Liverpool I should meet their cut off but all depends whether they like my personal statement :/ I'm glad my score has kept my options mostly open though ๐Ÿ˜‹ I was very worried I wouldn't even score high enough to apply this year ๐Ÿ˜‚ where did you apply last year and what score did you have last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Yeah I read it on their website ๐Ÿ˜‚ I better ring up all my uni's and make sure I'm fine as well just in case if I can't trust their websites anymore ๐Ÿ˜‚

Posted from TSR Mobile
Life would me much simpler with 700+ haha. Band 1 also contributes to your pre-interview score too (15 out of 85 points) at HYMS. Isn't manchester's cut off a little high? Haha my D was in physics... it's fine, I've emailed liverpool and luckily it seems they don't have that 4th AS requirement anymore.

Does it actually? I'll have to have a look into HYMS again then I think I was reading 2016 entry as they couldn't use SJT that year due to marking errors or something ๐Ÿ˜‹ physics actually ruined my life ๐Ÿ˜‚ yeah manchester's cut off is scary as I think I will probably miss it by a few points but I love Manchester so much ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it actually? I'll have to have a look into HYMS again then I think I was reading 2016 entry as they couldn't use SJT that year due to marking errors or something ๐Ÿ˜‹ physics actually ruined my life ๐Ÿ˜‚ yeah manchester's cut off is scary as I think I will probably miss it by a few points but I love Manchester so much ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah have a look, they use SJT twice :smile: http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-source/hyms-downloads/selection-procedure-2017-entry.pdf
Most of my friends found physics the hardest a level at A2. Yeah I would definitely have applied Manchester if my ukcat was a little higher, but I'm playing it safe haha

Don't apply to Leicester unless you've got good GCSEs
Yeah have a look, they use SJT twice :smile: http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-source/hyms-downloads/selection-procedure-2017-entry.pdf
Most of my friends found physics the hardest a level at A2. Yeah I would definitely have applied Manchester if my ukcat was a little higher, but I'm playing it safe haha

Thank you I'm going to ring them up next week and ask them some questions then!๐Ÿ˜‹ doubt I would swap Manchester out though because I'd say I stand an equal chance at HYMS and Manchester tbh, like I said I don't have many options๐Ÿ˜‚

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol you guys relax there worried for nothing you'll all get into medicine whether it's here or Czech it's fine relax
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Lol you guys relax there worried for nothing you'll all get into medicine whether it's here or Czech it's fine relax

๐Ÿ˜‚ lol! I can't afford anywhere so it's here or nothing๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm not too fussed about getting in first time as long as I get in eventually, just trying to give myself a decent chance this year hence the worrying๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‹

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I've heard that too but thanks for telling me! And thank you! I do have quite a bit of caring work experience like I've volunteered at my local hospital since January and also went to a special school and helped out for a few weeks! So in terms of commitment I have that covered with the hospital hopefully! I also have kind of interesting WE too like I acted as a patient for doctors practicing for their CSA exam! Then I got to shadow my consultant paediatrician who looked after me for a year. On top of that I have a personal illness which is why I want to go into medicine so I have lots of experience in a healthcare setting and I do have care experience (not as much as many but it's about quality still and what I learnt from it so I hope that's enough). For Plymouth and St George's do they literally just look at your cut off and your min academics and invite you to interview? Liverpool I should meet their cut off but all depends whether they like my personal statement :/ I'm glad my score has kept my options mostly open though ๐Ÿ˜‹ I was very worried I wouldn't even score high enough to apply this year ๐Ÿ˜‚ where did you apply last year and what score did you have last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems a lot of experience you have there, manchester should love that part of you! And it should be enough as long as you can say good points that you have learnt from it in PS/interview! Sorry to hear about the illness though :frown:
Yeah thats all plymouth and st georges do! Yup thats correct for liverpool theres 4 main areas where they score the PS listed on the website. Now I'm going to have a longggggg chat with liverpool admissions team on monday so ill find out more aha.
Last year i applied to Leeds, sheffield, exeter, aberdeen. I got interviews at leeds and sheffield. And i got 1880 for UKCAT without DA.

HAHA thats what I'm thinking mate. Romania is only 3 grand a year. I'll do it if I fail!!!!! Btw you do realise you have to take an admissions test for Czech which people still fail!
Original post by Hutch28
Don't apply to Leicester unless you've got good GCSEs

Yeah I've seen the scoring but it works in my favour, they give points for achieved A levels and they score A*/A's the same at gcses.
LOOOOL dirt cheap cos the Eastern European countries are so desperate for the cash and all these desperate medic rejects parents are forcing them into medicine
HAHA thats what I'm thinking mate. Romania is only 3 grand a year. I'll do it if I fail!!!!! Btw you do realise you have to take an admissions test for Czech which people still fail!
LOOOOL dirt cheap cos the Eastern European countries are so desperate for the cash and all these desperate medic rejects parents are forcing them into medicine

Be warned though, some med schools, I know some in Czech, keep failing you in your 4th year (or another year) and make it really difficult for you to pass as they want as much money out of your wallet as possible.
That seems a lot of experience you have there, manchester should love that part of you! And it should be enough as long as you can say good points that you have learnt from it in PS/interview! Sorry to hear about the illness though :frown:
Yeah thats all plymouth and st georges do! Yup thats correct for liverpool theres 4 main areas where they score the PS listed on the website. Now I'm going to have a longggggg chat with liverpool admissions team on monday so ill find out more aha.
Last year i applied to Leeds, sheffield, exeter, aberdeen. I got interviews at leeds and sheffield. And i got 1880 for UKCAT without DA.

I hope so! And it's fine at least my illness gives me some good work experience ๐Ÿ˜‚ can you please PM me what Liverpool say because I need to make my personal statement good ๐Ÿ˜‚ what was Sheffield like applying, you must have had a good personal statement last year then! Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest