The Student Room Group

Computer Science Project AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Love CPS but i'm a useless coder, m8 for i in range is my thing , but now i need to make a room booking system, this is soooooooooooooo out of my depth i might drown if i move any closer. This is easy to write about but where do i start coding wise? what language? what should i do first ? this is acc driving me mad PLEASE HELP ME ????????

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by maheba544
Love CPS but i'm a useless coder, m8 for i in range is my thing , but now i need to make a room booking system, this is soooooooooooooo out of my depth i might drown if i move any closer. This is easy to write about but where do i start coding wise? what language? what should i do first ? this is acc driving me mad PLEASE HELP ME ????????

So you're telling me you're doing A level CS, and don't know what a for loop is.
Damn, really makes you think, huh?
Reply 3
I would say start with Python due to it's user friendliness ( a shed load of built in libraries).
Reply 4
If your college is anything like mine was, our entire class were forced to use VB.NET as it was the only language our teacher knew - are you given free roam of choice?
Does this include a database or can you simply write to an xml/text file?
Reply 6

Java would seem like a good language for this. I did something similar as a personal project, and it turned out pretty well (even though it's not completed).
Original post by IWMTom
If your college is anything like mine was, our entire class were forced to use VB.NET as it was the only language our teacher knew - are you given free roam of choice?

eww

Use Python, it's one of the most useful high-level languages, and is widely recognised.
Reply 9
Original post by XOR_
eww

I know, I know. :frown:

In my opinion VB.NET is the best shout. You don't have to build your own GUI / interface; it will provide you with one and you can edit it (i.e. adding buttons, text etc.). You can also link VB.NET to text files and databases such as SQL and Microsoft Access. I don't know about other programming languages, but in Python, you'd have to build your own GUI from scratch - although I think it's the best language for financial modelling and calculations. VB.NET is easy to learn and well suited to your coursework or project.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jozanic
In my opinion VB.NET is the best shout. You don't have to build your own GUI / interface; it will provide you with one and you can edit it (i.e. adding buttons, text etc.). You can also link VB.NET to text files and databases such as SQL and Microsoft Access. I don't know about other programming languages, but in Python, you'd have to build your own GUI from scratch - although I think it's the best language for financial modelling and calculations. VB.NET is easy to learn and well suited to your coursework or project.

Or C#, considering it uses the .NET framework too, just it's a much more modern language with OOP working the way it should.
Reply 12
VB, C# what is all of this nonsense, what about a real language like machine code, or C if thats too hard.
Reply 13
Original post by imfked
VB, C# what is all of this nonsense, what about a real language like machine code, or C if thats too hard.

Why not ASM???
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
Why not ASM???

If you mean Assembly thats simply worded machine code.
Reply 15
Original post by imfked
If you mean Assembly thats simply worded machine code.

I can't tell whether your recommendations were serious or not now...
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
I can't tell whether your recommendations were serious or not now...

If you have machine code locked down, other higher level languages become light work for you.
Original post by imfked

Real language? I hope you're joking.
Using for instance assembly for every task is not a good programming practice,
using the right language for the right job is.
For a booking system I would recommend using dot net (c# or c++/cli).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imfked

Why do you not consider C# to be a "real language"? If this is for an A-level assignment, I doubt assembly (I assume you're referring to that with "machine code", even though assembly is not in any way machine code) would be accepted.

Something like Python (probably one of the most useful very-high level languages) or VB would probably satisfy the OP's needs.
Reply 19
Original post by imfked
If you have machine code locked down, other higher level languages become light work for you.

I'm sure that writing a system in machine code is gonna help the OP pass their A Level :smile:))))

Quick Reply