The Student Room Group

Cs salary?

I have always been very interested and passionate about computer science and knew i was going to a degree(s) in it and become a software/hardware engineer/computer scientist(forgive me for incorrect syntax if applicable)...

Recently i have been reflecting upon my choice and confirming that is what i want to do for the rest of my life...

I already know that is what i want to do but as i said i am just confirming so...

i am currently at the start of Y11...

I am one of the top in my class,predicted most A*'s and A's and do computing at GCSE and do many Extra curricular and also many related to computer science....
I am truly passionate about the subject and would like to study it at Cambridge...

HOW MUCH DO COMPUTER SCIENTIST/SOFTWARE ENGINEERS/HARDWARE ENGINEERS MAKE ON AVERAGE?
Do the earn more at top firms like google and apple?
Will a degree at a top university be of great benefit for these top companies?
Is starting a successful company very difficult now due to giants like apple,etc...

My dad is a surgeon so i was wondering how does the pay compare to surgeons?
How earns more(regardless of schooling)?
How much do the top of their respective professions earn in each profession?

ALSO,as i said i love computer science and i am NOT doing it for the money but i am very curious about the money...Please don't say follow your passion as i already am(computing)...

Any other advice will also be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
On average: £35,000
If you go to a top university and graduate into a top technology firm: £70,000+

Though most top firms value your experience more than your degree, though having a CS/SE/CSE degree from a top university for CS is considered as somewhat of a prerequisite.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Computer Geek
On average: £35,000
If you go to a top university and graduate into a top technology firm: £70,000+

Based on reliable sources,i have been informed that compsci's in America at companies like google make 160-400k dollars...

Is this true?

Also,will it be difficult for me to work in say new york for google or somewhere from UK Graduation?
Original post by VNN
Based on reliable sources,i have been informed that compsci's in America at companies like google make 160-400k dollars...

Is this true?

Also,will it be difficult for me to work in say new york for google or somewhere from UK Graduation?

Yep that's true. Some of the more talented engineers at Google and the like take home circa $1,000,000 annually.

The difficulty of working in America after UK graduation is not predictable but people have done it.
Original post by Computer Geek
Yep that's true. Some of the more talented engineers at Google and the like take home circa $1,000,000 annually.

The difficulty of working in America after UK graduation is not predictable but people have done it.

What exactly qualifies as a talented engineer?
Is there some sort of ranking system at google?

Also,by engineers you mean computer scientists right or a more mangerial role instead of programming?

Finally,say for medicine moving country after graduation is difficult because you have to do exams for practicing in different countries and states but why would it be difficult for computer science?
As google may attend a career fair for Cambridge undergrads and surely it would be fairly easy to move country,right?

Thanks!
Original post by VNN
What exactly qualifies as a talented engineer?
Is there some sort of ranking system at google?

Also,by engineers you mean computer scientists right or a more mangerial role instead of programming?

Finally,say for medicine moving country after graduation is difficult because you have to do exams for practicing in different countries and states but why would it be difficult for computer science?
As google may attend a career fair for Cambridge undergrads and surely it would be fairly easy to move country,right?

Thanks!

Experience qualifies talented engineers. Experience is sitting there and doing something really well for years (usually 10).

At Google there is junior and senior software engineers in the development department.

By engineers, I mean anyone who is formally employed to be a software engineer, this doesn't mean they have to study computer science. The managers at Google get paid really well, but not as well as some engineers do.

It isn't difficult for comp sci or I think you mean technology. The problem with the technology sector is that you have to find the job. That's difficult.

Google target Imperial College students more than they target Cambridge students. That's due to location more than anything. So if you want to do the best degree programme for Google, do MEng Computing at Imperial College.
I'd expect starting salaries to hover around £15k if you're a freshly minted comp sci graduate with some little to no relevant experience- computer science graduates are a dime a dozen. A moderately competent person with some mid-level experience could expect £35k with ~5-10 years experience, it depends a lot on what they do. To do really well, you need to be VERY intelligent. You don't need to be as smart when doing a medical degree (which you're going to need if you're going to become a surgeon) as it involves massive amounts of memorisation more than anything.

Latest