The Student Room Group

A level chemistry help

Hello, I am new to a level chemistry as I have only just began sixth form. The exam board is the OCR Chemistry A (post 2015 as the spec has changed). I am looking for potential A/A* resources that I can revise with daily and get the best possible marks at the end of my 2 years.

Please suggest anything that can be of help to me. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zacharyboi
Hello, I am new to a level chemistry as I have only just began sixth form. The exam board is the OCR Chemistry A (post 2015 as the spec has changed). I am looking for potential A/A* resources that I can revise with daily and get the best possible marks at the end of my 2 years.

Chemguide is a really good website, as is the Khan Academy. There's also a really great youtuber called E.Rintoul who makes good video's on chemistry
Reply 2
Are these websites for the new spec? Thanks!
Are these websites for the new spec? Thanks!

Not specifically but a lot of the content will be similar

You could also watch (besides the ones already recommended) Tyler De Witt's videos on YouTube- he is seriously really good
Reply 5
Original post by Starlight2000
You could also watch (besides the ones already recommended) Tyler De Witt's videos on YouTube- he is seriously really good

thank you so much, any good revision books that you could recommend? thanks
Reply 6
sorry for late reply, but do you know any good revision books for chemistry? thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
thank you so much, any good revision books that you could recommend? thanks

If you're doing ocr spec AI'm sure you would have been given a thick textbook containing content for AS - that is so good just work through it no matter what order you're being taught if you haven't been given it but are doing ocr I can send you a pic?
Also there is a chemistry site which is called doc brown I haven't yet used it for a level but used it a Little at GCSE and it was quite helpful
Also u could use the chemistry teacher on YouTube (has a Funny d.p of a muppet doctor if you can't find it!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

Chemrevise, Chemguide, CGP book and some other websites that I cannot remember. I am recommended Chemrevise, CGP book and do a lot of past papers (including the old spec) and extra questions that are relevant to your syllabus! By the way my exam board is Edexcel but that is how I prepared for my Chemistry A Level and I got good grade.:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Starlight2000
If you're doing ocr spec AI'm sure you would have been given a thick textbook containing content for AS - that is so good just work through it no matter what order you're being taught if you haven't been given it but are doing ocr I can send you a pic?
Also there is a chemistry site which is called doc brown I haven't yet used it for a level but used it a Little at GCSE and it was quite helpful
Also u could use the chemistry teacher on YouTube (has a Funny d.p of a muppet doctor if you can't find it!)

Yeah, I'm doing the OCR spec, have u done an a level in chem? thanks for the help
Reply 11
Original post by Earth1
Chemrevise, Chemguide, CGP book and some other websites that I cannot remember. I am recommended Chemrevise, CGP book and do a lot of past papers (including the old spec) and extra questions that are relevant to your syllabus! By the way my exam board is Edexcel but that is how I prepared for my Chemistry A Level and I got good grade.:smile:

thanks for the help! I'm doing OCR but I'm sure its similar
sorry for late reply, but do you know any good revision books for chemistry? thanks

Just buy the new spec CGP ones. If you need help with calculations I would highly recommend 'Calculations in A-level Chemistry' by Jim Clark as it covers content in most major exam boards
Hey guys do you need to know a lot about the mass spectrometry process for mod 2? or just viadd?
Yeah, I'm doing the OCR spec, have u done an a level in chem? thanks for the help

I'm doing one right now I'm in yr12

Hi I do OCR A and have started yr 12 this year too...
I use:
The OCR A textbook
CGP books
Notes from chemrevise
Then I do all the prcatice questions in the textbook and the CGP books
I also do some past paper questions
Primrose kitten science videos (discovered her just before my GCSE exams and she is really good!:smile:)

Got D/Es at the beginning of the year. Used this method to revise and now I am working at a B/A grade!:biggrin:
Original post by Earth1

What grade did you get, if you don''t mind me asking?x:h:
Reply 17
Original post by sunshine774
What grade did you get, if you don''t mind me asking?x:h:

A*
Reply 18
Hi, I'm stuck on this chem practical question and was wondering if anyone could help. I've included my ideas so far in bold...
Salicylic acid can be used to make aspirin. Before using a sample of salicylic acid to make aspirin, a student purified the acid by recrystallisation. The method for recrystallisation is outline below:
Step 1 - The sample is dissolved in a minimum volume of hot water.
Step 2 - The solution is filtered hot.
Step 3 - The filtrate is cooled in ice to form crystals.
Step 4 - The crystals are collected by filtration, washed with cold water and left to dry.
Explain the purpose of each underlined point:
minimum volume and hot water -
Min volume of water as too much can mean crystals don't form, hot to dissolve the mixture.
filtered hot -
To stop the dissolved compounds recrystallising during filtration.
cooled in ice -
??
washed with cold water -
So the product/aspirin doesn't dissolve again and to wash away any soluble impurities.
Reply 19
Original post by emma.sx
Hi, I'm stuck on this chem practical question and was wondering if anyone could help. I've included my ideas so far in bold...
Salicylic acid can be used to make aspirin. Before using a sample of salicylic acid to make aspirin, a student purified the acid by recrystallisation. The method for recrystallisation is outline below:
Step 1 - The sample is dissolved in a minimum volume of hot water.
Step 2 - The solution is filtered hot.
Step 3 - The filtrate is cooled in ice to form crystals.
Step 4 - The crystals are collected by filtration, washed with cold water and left to dry.
Explain the purpose of each underlined point:
minimum volume and hot water -
Min volume of water as too much can mean crystals don't form, hot to dissolve the mixture.
filtered hot -
To stop the dissolved compounds recrystallising during filtration.
cooled in ice -
??
washed with cold water -
So the product/aspirin doesn't dissolve again and to wash away any soluble impurities.

Minimum volume of hot water - to form a saturated solution, so less product is lost in a solution.
Hot water - to disssolved all the soluble compounds.
Filtered hot - to removed insoluble impurities.
Cooled ice - allow the product to crystallise
Wash with cold water - to removed soluble impurities

Quick Reply

Latest