The Student Room Group

I got 13 A* at GCSE: AMA

Ask me anything! Would happily give advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KnowsNothing

Congratulations!! Also, how did you revise for Maths and English Language?
But you know nothing? :tongue:
Reply 3
Tea or coffee?
What A Levels are you taking, and what/where do you want to study at uni?
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Tea or coffee?

Used to be a coffee person, now drink loads of tea. Tea it is m8.
Reply 6
History, Economics, Maths and Politics :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 16Characters....
What A Levels are you taking, and what/where do you want to study at uni?

Doing History, Economics, Maths and Politics. PPE at Oxford is my no. 1, Econ, politics and int studies at Warwick or Econ and politics at Durham are some of my other faves.

What will you study at university?What job are you thinking of?

Did you go to a private,state or grammar school?

How long did you usually revise a day?
Congrats! :woo:

Marmite. Yes or no? :holmes:
Reply 12
Original post by Shazen
Congratulations!! Also, how did you revise for Maths and English Language?

Maths (because I also did further maths), was actually a subject I did quite a bit of revision for. But the best thing no doubt is past papers.

Learn how to do stuff through specimen papers/practice worksheets and notes. Save your past papers though and then do as many as you can. In the one week I had two f. maths past papers, I did 17 papers.

It really helps because you become faster at questions, know what you're going to get, become a lot more familiar but most of all you avoid stupid little mistakes. I'm awful at these, and would always cost myself tons of marks for the silliest little things. Types of questions always have bits intended to trick you (negative signs, certain fractions used etc) and understanding this pattern is great.

Throughout the year, a little bit of practice helps but I'm not going to pretend I did that.

As for English...I had a burning passion for English so I didn't do a lot of revision. But KNOW HOW TO ANSWER AN UNSEEN TEXT. Understand the mark scheme, understand what they are looking for and in lessons, pay attention more to this than actual themes or contexts of whatever you are studying. This is the most transferable skill from English and I barely looked at any of my anthology texts, but I knew how to do this.

PEEL paragraphs (point, evidence, explanation, link) or whatever you do at your school, keep this in mind. Strategy for answering these questions you can use in a lot of other exams and that will make up for a lack of revision elsewhere. I crammed all the quotes I needed the day before (our lit was closed book), and it was unseen practice that gave me the A*.

Really with English the "how" matters more than anything else. Lang and lit need different skills. Obviously you should revise ideas and stuff but I didn't, most people don't because imo English is really really dull. But yeah, technique matters more especially unseen techniques which will make up for revision.

Hope that helps!
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous1502
Did you go to a private,state or grammar school?

Grammar school. Not a very posh one, but it is a very successful one
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous1502
What will you study at university?What job are you thinking of?

Have already said uni and courses :smile:, job...I don't know. Something in politics though is absolutely ideal though. Working for an MP, in a party, think tank, civil service but I don't know for sure. Keeping my options open really.
congrats :smile: How many sittings did you do them in?
Reply 16
Original post by SeanFM
But you know nothing? :tongue:

So did Jon Snow and he's done pretty well for himself...

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by PrinceHarrys
congrats :smile: How many sittings did you do them in?

Had 29 exams in total, over the space of almost exactly a month.
Doing History, Economics, Maths and Politics. PPE at Oxford is my no. 1, Econ, politics and int studies at Warwick or Econ and politics at Durham are some of my other faves.

So you are looking to be a parasite on society - because that seems to be the number one "career" of PPE grads. Most seem to be aiming to be MPs or party apparatchiks and never do a days work in their lives.
Reply 19
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Congrats! :woo:

Marmite. Yes or no? :holmes:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no.

Quick Reply

Latest