The Student Room Group

Why do White Brits do worse than most minorities in education?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fksociety
Since when was doing well in education and being successful in life mean you dont have a life? Such a loser attitude you have there lmao
Since when has education meant one cannot be a billionaire or have a fantastic life?

Such an unimaginative pabulum you must live with. ROFLMAO.
It's because white people go to catholic schools, etc, and they can't really teach. Whereas, minorities get into the normal public schools, and the GCSE results are quite high. Well, it's like this in Luton, anyway.
Original post by uberteknik
Since when has education meant one cannot be a billionaire or have a fantastic life?

Such an unimaginative pabulum you must live with. ROFLMAO.

Straw man.

Besides it is proven that higher education means that you can have a better paid job. Sorry, im sure the pleb lifestyle is fun too :smile: ROFLMAO,
Parenting. That's all it is really.

I'm white, and came out with pretty good GCSE results, my parents pushed to work hard.

I have asian friends- some came out with good results too. Their parents probably pushed them to work hard. I have other asian friends who came out with no grades above a C. Soooooooo. it's all subjective imo
Original post by fksociety
Straw man.

Besides it is proven that higher education means that you can have a better paid job. Sorry, im sure the pleb lifestyle is fun too :smile: ROFLMAO,

Oh dear. You seem to have a superiority complex as well as an unfounded intellectual arrogance. Sad, so very very sad.

Your mother must be so proud of you.
Original post by Ravenous
What happened to the Chinese in 2013?

The OP only uses the results for Manchester, which isnt a large selection.
Chinese come top in the national results for 2013/14.

Ethnic groups- Exams.PNG
Original post by oShahpo
Is Manchester representative of the whole 'White Brit' population?

Probably. This is a large city we're talking about with a large sample size, not some piddly village. It might not even matter because we're comparing ethnic groups who live in the same place. Different nature, similar nurture.

Original post by oShahpo
Is the result from three years representative of the general trend?

Unless the White British 16 year olds of 2011 to 2013 were significantly dumber than other years and minorities were significantly smarter then the data is pretty conclusive.

Original post by oShahpo
Are GCSE result a good predictor of performance in A-Level and university-level education?

Not always but they generally are. People who do well at GCSE are more likely than not to do well at A Level and so forth.
I am not British and my parents would have probably disowned me had I not got a string of A*s.
Original post by Carthaginian
It's because white people go to catholic schools, etc, and they can't really teach. Whereas, minorities get into the normal public schools, and the GCSE results are quite high. Well, it's like this in Luton, anyway.

Actually, Catholic schools tend to get quite high results.
Original post by uberteknik
Oh dear. You seem to have a superiority complex as well as an unfounded intellectual arrogance. Sad, so very very sad.

Your mother must be so proud of you.

LOOOOL I really don't but ok

You keep believing that white people have a life because minorities do better than them LMAOOOOO
Reply 30
White people should reproduce with non white people to get cleverer kids, simple!
Original post by Ravenous
What happened to the Chinese in 2013?

they lost it man after Beijing Olympics

To be fair, white 'lower classes' dont do great but then neither do pakistanis, afganis, arabs, some carrebeans etc. its only the oriental jewish and some indian and sri lankan groups that actually do well. overall school standards are slipping in the uk, not just for white brits. White middle classes tend to do well ie grammar schools and even Church schools often outperform - but these type of schools are becomeing less common.

thats why UK will become a satellite for the Chinese empire in 15 years time
(edited 7 years ago)
y'all are wild. Obviously my teacher didn't see the real TSR when she recommended this site.

Guess what, and I went to Catholic schools for most of my life (I left year 6 along with three pregnant girls too but eh that's another story) but as a 100% brown person I can tell you it's all down to parenting. Not because my parents were "rich" (tf most of poc parents are immigrants who work odd jobs even if they were uni lecturers back home) and the sole reason for them staying in this country after they finished their studies here was so their spawn could study here.

So if we fail? Then they just wasted like 18 years of their lives on us. Non-white (esp. asians) people have an inherent pressure to do well which white people don't really have due to fact their parents didn't emigrate half way across the world so their children had the chance of a brighter future.

That's not to say white people don't have pressures/don't do well. But it's mostly down to parenting and lesbehonest, asian parents are 1000x stricter than white parents.
Poor parenting. White kids with parents who push/support them in their education tend to do well. Other minorities tend to have more focus on education from their parents.

I also love the fact mirpuri's have been recorded separately from other Pakistanis. Thank god :rofl:
Original post by Lord Samosa
Poor parenting. White kids with parents who push/support them in their education tend to do well. Other minorities tend to have more focus on education from their parents.

I also love the fact mirpuri's have been recorded separately from other Pakistanis. Thank god :rofl:

[QUOTE="999tigger;67731394"]

Ethnic groups- Exams.PNG

nationally pakistanis acheivements are as low as the white brits being mentioned - they are essentially holding back the much better performing 'non-islamic- asian groups as much as the white chavs and gypsies hold back whites . you cant just 'blame the kashmiris' lol
Original post by Chakede

nationally pakistanis acheivements are as low as the white brits being mentioned - they are essentially holding back the much better performing 'non-islamic- asian groups as much as the white chavs and gypsies hold back whites . you cant just 'blame the kashmiris' lol

About 50-70% of Pakistanis in the UK are Mirpuris, hence the reason the overall pass rate nationally is low. But in places where Mirpuris make up a smaller percent of the Pakistrani population (e.g. London, Manchester). the pass rate isn't that bad and is above average. There were even 5 London boroughs (Croydon, Ealing, Greenwich, Tower Hamlets, Hackney) last year where the Pakistani 5+ A-C grades pass rate was above the Indian one. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/327406/response/812041/attach/html/2/Final%20V3.xlsx.html
This is from the national statistics 2013/2014 collected by the Department of Education

It gives a bit more insight into how results can be affected by other factors, such as disadvantage.

Disadvantaged pupils are defined as pupils known to be eligible for free school meals in the previous six years as indicated in any termly or annual school census, pupil referral unit (PRU) or alternative provision (AP) census or are children looked afterby the local authorityfor more than 6 months.

Disadvantage.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
White British dont do that bad. Yes theyre below groups like Indians and Chinese but they arent right at the bottom, theyre higher than Carribeans and Pakistanis

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would guess it's something to do with the fact that most white British people who live in this country are just here because they were born here. On the whole there's no reason to expect them to be particularly good or particularly bad, academically.

On the other hand, people from some ethnic minorities are here because, they (or their ancestors) had performed so well academically in their home country, that they were accepted into top universities or top jobs here, and moved here in search of a more prosperous life. For someone living in a foreign country it takes quite a lot to be able to come here on that basis.

Of course you also get some ethnic minorities that perform below average academically in this country. Perhaps they (or their ancestors) came here as refugees from war-torn countries, or as cheap labour etc. in which case performing well academically might not be as culturally high up on their list of priorities.
(edited 7 years ago)

The only accurate sampling there is for British and Pakistani students because they have 2376 and 512 students respectively but I mean look at all the others, only 50 Indian students??? WTF there's a lot more than that in this country. Also the Afghani and Gypsy sample is way too small to consider.

This sample set is flawed, maybe British students do perform worse but you can't prove it or even suggest it with the data you've got here.

Quick Reply