The Student Room Group

Do I seriously have no chance applying for Cambridge to study medicine?

4A*s,6As, 1B at GCSE, AABB at AS Level and will be predicited A*AA ( i know that is lower than the typical offer but I dont think they disregard straightaway?) With a good personal statement, reference and hopefully a good BMAT what are my chances?
(edited 7 years ago)
(mod edit - out of date info)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BobBobson

That is outdated -- the current standard offer for science subjects is A*A*A.
Reply 3

okay thank you !
Original post by yasmin0899
okay thank you !

Be careful with the chart.
The chart is not official and also outdated.
Unless you have extenuating circumstances to explain your lower than required grade, it's unlikely you'll be invited for interview, I'm afraid.

You can ask him if you'd like. He's one of the most experienced admission tutors at Cambridge.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946
Reply 5
4A*s,6As, 1B at GCSE, AABB at AS Level and will be predicited A*AA ( i know that is lower than the typical offer but I dont think they disregard straightaway?) With a good personal statement, reference and hopefully a good BMAT what are my chances?

(mod edit - out of date info)

I have removed the chart - it's wrong :wink:

@BobBobson where did you find it? Was it on TSR?
Original post by jneill

I remember seeing it some years ago for the first time on internet. I think it was on one of those quetionable "oxbridge application advice" sites. Can't remember where but it wasn't TSR.........I think......
Almost certain that chart is from TSR.
Original post by jneill

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Almost certain that chart is from TSR.
o

Found it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2086102
Reply 9

Cool. I'll get it removed/updated asap.... (not today).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Cool. I'll get it removed/updated asap.... (not today).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :smile:

Spoiler

Cambridge will look at UMS percentage average, and roughly to be competative you will need 95% average in the 3 sujects you are taking onto A2, with a B being between 70 and 80% average I am afraid it is looking veryvery bleak. I read from anopther member on TSR that the average cambridge offer holder had a 97% UMS average and also had the required predicted grades.

I would avoid wasting an application with cambridge if I am honest, there are much better choices out there for you, and even if you smashed the BMAT I would say cambridge is a long shot without 95% UMS average or above in boi and chem and predicted at least A*A*A, I can name nobody who was offerred a place with similar credentials I am afraid.
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707
Cambridge will look at UMS percentage average, and roughly to be competative you will need 95% average in the 3 sujects you are taking onto A2, with a B being between 70 and 80% average I am afraid it is looking veryvery bleak. I read from anopther member on TSR that the average cambridge offer holder had a 97% UMS average and also had the required predicted grades.

I would avoid wasting an application with cambridge if I am honest, there are much better choices out there for you, and even if you smashed the BMAT I would say cambridge is a long shot without 95% UMS average or above in boi and chem and predicted at least A*A*A, I can name nobody who was offerred a place with similar credentials I am afraid.

Thanks for replying with detail, I kinda already knew my chances were slim to none so I appreciate you explaining why. Do you have any suggestions for other unis I could apply to with my grades please, with 650 in my UKCAT? Bristol is the only uni I know I'm definitely applying too. thank you!
Thanks for replying with detail, I kinda already knew my chances were slim to none so I appreciate you explaining why. Do you have any suggestions for other unis I could apply to with my grades please, with 650 in my UKCAT? Bristol is the only uni I know I'm definitely applying too. thank you!

I would have a look at bristol, Liverpool, lancaster, Imperial, BSMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending