The Student Room Group

UKCAT score of 670 average

Hello
My son obtained a average of 670 in his UKCAT. He did well in 2 sections but I am a little bit concerned because in VR he only obtained a score of 550. Academically he has excellent GCSE/AS results. My question is based on the UKCAT, does this preclude him from any universities?
Don't apply to the UKCAT heavy uni's like Manchester, Durham/Newcastle, St Andrews, Glasgow and maybe Barts. What are his GCSE's and predicted A-levels?
Reply 2
Hi thanks for the advice.
He obtained
GCSE - 13A*s 1A
AS - 4 As
A level predicted - 2 A*s, 1A

He was actually thinking of applying to Manchester as one of his options together with Birmingham
Original post by Shaqil
Hi thanks for the advice.
He obtained
GCSE - 13A*s 1A
AS - 4 As
A level predicted - 2 A*s, 1A

He was actually thinking of applying to Manchester as one of his options together with Birmingham

Those are fantastic GCSE results. Birmingham and Cardiff would be great choices. Just avoid very heavy ukcat unis like Newcastle, Southampton etc - apply to his strengths. The ukcat score is good but not fantastic, so "abit of everything" unis like leicester and Nottingham might be good too.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. He is planning on applying to 2 UKCAT unis (Birmingham and Manchester) and 2 BMAT unis (Leeds and Oxford).
We thought let's and m for the stars and see what happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HopelessMedic
Don't apply to the UKCAT heavy uni's like Manchester, Durham/Newcastle, St Andrews, Glasgow and maybe Barts. What are his GCSE's and predicted A-levels?

Hi Hopeless medic - my son told me I needed to reply to you directly. Sorry just getting used to using a forum.

Hi thanks for the advice.He obtained GCSE - 13A*s 1AAS - 4 AsA level predicted - 2 A*s, 1AHe was actually thinking of applying to Manchester as one of his options together with Birmingham
Original post by Shaqil
Hi Hopeless medic - my son told me I needed to reply to you directly. Sorry just getting used to using a forum.

Hi thanks for the advice.He obtained GCSE - 13A*s 1AAS - 4 AsA level predicted - 2 A*s, 1AHe was actually thinking of applying to Manchester as one of his options together with Birmingham

His GCSE's are obviously very good and to maximise his chances I would focus on GCSE heavy med schools. These include Oxford, Cardiff, Bham and QUB. Seeing as you have already chose Oxford and Bham, I personally would recommend Cardiff as he would be almost guaranteed an interview.

Manchester is a very risky choice imo, last year they had a UKCAT cut off of 675 I believe ( don't quote me on that tho ) so it would be risky. Its up to you as to whether you feel Manchester is worth the risk.

Leeds is also a good choice, but picking two BMAT uni's is risky, and if you pick Manchester as well I don't think this is a good idea as he could be left with only Bham.

Best of luck:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by HopelessMedic
His GCSE's are obviously very good and to maximise his chances I would focus on GCSE heavy med schools. These include Oxford, Cardiff, Bham and QUB. Seeing as you have already chose Oxford and Bham, I personally would recommend Cardiff as he would be almost guaranteed an interview.

Manchester is a very risky choice imo, last year they had a UKCAT cut off of 675 I believe ( don't quote me on that tho ) so it would be risky. Its up to you as to whether you feel Manchester is worth the risk.

Leeds is also a good choice, but picking two BMAT uni's is risky, and if you pick Manchester as well I don't think this is a good idea as he could be left with only Bham.

Best of luck:smile:

Thank you. The information is really useful and you aired my sentiments exactly.
I agree that 2 BMAT unis is risky but he loved the open day at Leeds. I will let him know about Cardiff and QUB.
Bearing in moments the UKCATS for Manchester, do you think Liverpool is a good substitute?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending