The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peace4life
I did pharmacy too carbon, but when I sent an email to Oxford, they were being really snobby and do not consider pharmacy to be an applied or experimental science. They also require 3 references apart from the ucas reference.

Original post by Ama2007
Yh unfortunately they have removed the GEM course :frown:

For Oxford, I am looking through the website but I cannot find where it says BMAT and more details on qualifications...*

Ama2007, in that case Oxford is probably out too, I am sorry! But definitely email all the unis and try and find which ones will be the best options!
Ask one of your colleagues to give you a reference. I'm sure they will be able to give you one.

I'm gonna have to. I just hope she'll actually get it done on time.
Reply 1462
Hi everyone,

I applied for 2016 grad entry but didn't get invited to any interviews. I'm now applying for 2017 entry (probably the last attempt).

I have a first class degree in biomedical sciences, A*BB A levels in biology, Geography and mathematics respectively, with 750 UKCAT. Is this competitive at all? Are there any universities which i would be recommended to apply to?

Thanks in advance,

Gav
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
A university tutor who i was hoping to provide a reference for my ucas application has just declined to write the application and now i have no idea who else to use. I only graduated last year so i was hoping to use a university tutor. But it looks like i may have to ask a former colleague since my healthcare assistant job has been delayed.

Or would it be okay to ask the volunteering manager? But i don't think she knows that much about me either.

I kind of want to delay the application until next year now. I thought i had the application stuff sorted and wouldn't have to worry too much about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you not try and find a different lecturer to give you a reference? I thought that I read somewhere that as a recent graduate (not sure what they consider recent though) many Unis wanted to see an academic reference.

You might also want to ring up your choices and ask if they would consider a volunteer manager.

Good luck :smile:
That is very competitive gav. Very difficult to understand why you were not giving an interview tbh. What was your work experience like?
Original post by mamly042
Can you not try and find a different lecturer to give you a reference? I thought that I read somewhere that as a recent graduate (not sure what they consider recent though) many Unis wanted to see an academic reference.

You might also want to ring up your choices and ask if they would consider a volunteer manager.

Good luck :smile:

My other lecturers didn't know me very well and I'm worried that they'll refuse on the same grounds as the original referee who said she didn't know me well enough in a personal capacity.

My personal tutor never replied to my emails (and was technologically so illiterate sometimes we'd have to start the powerpoints for her) and there's really only one other lecturer I had who knew me by name.
Reply 1466
Original post by GavinJR
Hi everyone,

I applied for 2016 grad entry but didn't get invited to any interviews. I'm now applying for 2017 entry (probably the last attempt).

I have a first class degree in biomedical sciences, A*BB A levels in biology, Geography and mathematics respectively, with 750 UKCAT. Is this competitive at all? Are there any universities which i would be recommended to apply to?

Thanks in advance,

Gav

Looks really good to me - what was your stats last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GavinJR
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Gav

We have very similar stats and I got 4 interviews for 2015 entry by applying to Warwick, King's, Newcastle and Southampton. The latter 3 use the UKCAT heavily, so I think they'd be good choices. Also, if you have your first in hand, you could apply to Birmingham.
Original post by GavinJR
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Gav

Warwick........if you have at least 70 hours of recorded experience prior to application
Birmingham.......if you have an A in GCSE English
Bart's
Newcastle
King's

Why do you think you did not get any interviews last year?
(edited 7 years ago)
With a ukcat score of 666 which graduate medical schools should I realistically apply to, in addition to Birmingham.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I'm seeing all sorts of information on scores and have no definitive answers...

Many thanks.
OK so am going for:

Cambridge
Birmingham
Imperial
Leeds or BSMS

I need to set BMAT, but I have no idea about it am going to obviously study for it, but can someone give a rough overview of it? compared to UKCAT/GAMSAT...what is it testing? and how long roughly do you need to study for it if you have been away from uni for 4 years (working)

Also should i go for leeds or BSMS, my PS is quiet strong so I want to play it to my advantage...

*Thanks *
Reply 1471
Original post by rayrk
Looks really good to me - what was your stats last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UKCAT last year was 640 so I assume that was what let me down, as I was predicted a first.

Also, my application was quite rushed due to my workload at uni so my personal statement may have been subpar.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1472
That is very competitive gav. Very difficult to understand why you were not giving an interview tbh. What was your work experience like?

At that point i'd followed a few consultants, volunteered at a nursing home between terms at home and began volunteering with St John Ambulance. My ukcat was 640ish so probably because of that, my personal wasn't up to scratch or I did something fundamentally wrong on the UCAS application. I've more experience now so hopefully it'll work out this time.

Thanks for your help!
Does anyone know if Cambridge definitely want an A grade for Alevel chemistry because I only managed a B grade. Is it still worth applying even though I got a distinction for my Masters of pharmacy degree and I have 6 months working in hospital and 6 months working in community. Plus I've shadowed doctors and worked in care homes.

Thanks

Hey a fellow pharmacy grad here!

I emailed lucy cavendish college to ask about admissions and this is what they said:

For the A101 course at Cambridge it is a two-part process at shortlisting: Our Admissions panel will score a candidate's best three A Level results - arts or science - but they will also look to see if, within an application, a candidate meets the entrance requirements for Medicine at Cambridge in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.To meet the minimum requirements a candidate must have A Level Chemistry, or equivalent with A grade, which is less than seven years old at proposed point of entry to Cambridge, they must also have the equivalent of two AS Levels out of Biology, Physics, Maths, with the remaining subject equivalent to GCSE.If necessary, candidates for the A101 course at Cambridge can, exceptionally, take or retake just the theory papers of A Level Chemistry to meet the entrance requirement, and an academic condition would be A grade.

Competition for a place on the A101 course at Cambridge is fierce - the University received over 370 applications for 20 places for 2016 entry - and successful candidates usually have three A Levels with A grades and a good 2.i or First Class degree.

Hope this helps those interested in cambridge.
Original post by NHSFan
Warwick........if you have at least 70 hours of recorded experience prior to application
Birmingham.......if you have an A in GCSE English
Bart's
Newcastle
King's

Why do you think you did not get any interviews last year?

Oh no I wanted to apply to Birmingham but don't have an A in GCSE English. Its hard to believe a qualification I got when I was 16 is restricting me now as a graduate from applying. Just great. :frown:
Original post by Katray
Oh no I wanted to apply to Birmingham but don't have an A in GCSE English. Its hard to believe a qualification I got when I was 16 is restricting me now as a graduate from applying. Just great. :frown:

If English and Maths have only been studied as far as GCSE they have to be at least A grade. Sorry to hear that you are unable to apply to Birmingham.
Good luck with your application. :smile:
Original post by Ama2007
OK so am going for:

Cambridge
Birmingham
Imperial
Leeds or BSMS

I need to set BMAT, but I have no idea about it am going to obviously study for it, but can someone give a rough overview of it? compared to UKCAT/GAMSAT...what is it testing? and how long roughly do you need to study for it if you have been away from uni for 4 years (working)

Also should i go for leeds or BSMS, my PS is quiet strong so I want to play it to my advantage...

*Thanks *

I think Cambridge may be a problem, as, irrespective of one's degree, they require A level Chemistry at grade A 'normally within 7 years of entry'. I presume that if you did an MPharm and have worked for the last 4 years, it is 8 years since you did A levels (or equivalent)?
Original post by NHSFan
I think Cambridge may be a problem, as, irrespective of one's degree, they require A level Chemistry at grade A 'normally within 7 years of entry'. I presume that if you did an MPharm and have worked for the last 4 years, it is 8 years since you did A levels (or equivalent)?

The pharmacy degree has enough chemistry to make up for it (as i was told when i applied last year) also I did scottish higher chemistry and have an A. So chem is not a problem for me tbh...unless they changed requirements?*
Original post by Ama2007
The pharmacy degree has enough chemistry to make up for it (as i was told when i applied last year) also I did scottish higher chemistry and have an A. So chem is not a problem for me tbh...unless they changed requirements?*

OK, fair enough, if you have previously checked. I thought that your previous application was for 2015 entry though (?), so your Scottish Higher in Chemistry would have been within the 7 year time frame requirement. It may be worth checking again for this application cycle. (I'm not a stalker.....I just have a good memory!)
How many places does newcastle usually have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest