The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How diverse is Warwick?

Excluding international students mostly from China?
Reply 1
Bump!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by IRoranth
Excluding international students mostly from China?

Very, I mean look at all the different cultural societies: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/all/cultural/
Reply 3
Original post by Toughtee
Very, I mean look at all the different cultural societies: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/all/cultural/

Ooooh, thanks for the link!
Race doesn't matter, please don't go into uni with that attitude :/
Original post by balanced

It's not like he's asking about the diversity so he can avoid Warwick if it is diverse...

I really don't see a problem with wanting to go to a diverse university.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
It's not like he's asking about the diversity so he can avoid Warwick if it is diverse...

I really don't see a problem with wanting to go to a diverse university.

I don't care what races go to a uni, or how many of them there are, he does, which is a fine opinion to have. I'm just saying I disagree with accounting for race in part of your decision.
I don't care what races go to a uni, or how many of them there are, he does, which is a fine opinion to have. I'm just saying I disagree with accounting for race in part of your decision.

If I was a minority, I too would be concerned about how diverse the university is.

Does that make me racist? If so then I hold my hands up.
If I was a minority, I too would be concerned about how diverse the university is.

Does that make me racist? If so then I hold my hands up.

Well, let's reverse that; if I was in a majority group (which I am), would caring about the number of ethnic majorities be racist? I think so.

In the same light, I think caring about the number of other races is similarly racist, but again, he can have that view, it's fine.
Well, let's reverse that; if I was in a majority group (which I am), would caring about the number of ethnic majorities be racist?

No.

It would not be racist for someone in a majority ethnic group to actively want to go to a diverse university.

If you were an ethnic minority then you'd want to go somewhere that attracted people from a similar cultural background. What if all your friends went out drinking on the weekends and you didnt want to for religious reasons? Youd be left out with nothing to do.
No.

It would not be racist for someone in a majority ethnic group to actively want to go to a diverse university.

That's not what I was saying, I was comparing it to a white person looking for a place with lots of whites.
That's not what I was saying, I was comparing it to a white person looking for a place with lots of whites.

I don't think it's too much of a double standard. British universities are likely to have a large white population so that scenario doesn't usually happen. It wouldn't be racist (in my opinion) for a White British person to look for a foreign university with many white students.
Original post by BasicMistake
I don't think it's too much of a double standard. British universities are likely to have a large white population so that scenario doesn't usually happen. It wouldn't be racist (in my opinion) for a White British person to look for a foreign university with many white students.

You make a fair point actually.

I guess, If you are British but still a minority, then it's a bit weird but as a foreign student I guess I can understand.
Reply 14
You make a fair point actually.

I guess, If you are British but still a minority, then it's a bit weird but as a foreign student I guess I can understand.

I'm a British minority and I don't think it's weird that I want to go to university that is diverse, especially coming from London.
Besides, it's not like I'm against having white friends or something?
I just want to find comfort while I'm at university, knowing there are people like me who share the same culture, language, traditions, etc.

It's hard being a minority. You wouldn't know.

Edit: You'd be really pushing it to think I'm applying to universities solely based on how diverse they are. I'm not stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending