The Student Room Group

glacial erosion

I'm trying to find out factors that affect glacial erosion but I can't seem to find anything online. If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!

also if anyone knows anything about glacial surface velocity (especially in a graph-like explaining it) I would also love to hear as this also has me quite stuck!!

thanks in advance
Original post by Jazzy_j_
I'm trying to find out factors that affect glacial erosion but I can't seem to find anything online. If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!

also if anyone knows anything about glacial surface velocity (especially in a graph-like explaining it) I would also love to hear as this also has me quite stuck!!

thanks in advance

Hi Jazzy! I'm not sure about the glacial surface velocity, however, a few of the factors affecting the effectiveness of glacial erosion include:

Climate
Frequent fluctuations in climate allow freeze thaw weathering to attack the rock each time the glacier retreats. When the glacier advances it can erode the loose rock by plucking. Climate also determines whether the glacier is warm based or cold based. Warm based glaciers move quickly due to water underneath the ice (basal sliding), and therefore the rate of erosion is higher. Cold based glaciers are frozen to their beds, and move very slowly through internal deformation, so little erosion occurs.

Geology
Jointed rocks such as granite, sandstone and limestone are more vulnerable to freeze-thaw weathering and plucking than non-jointed rocks. Soft rocks like clay are also easier to erode, and are therefore more vulnerable to glacial erosion.

Slope gradient
Steep slopes e.g. in mountainous areas, lead to an increase in ice velocity (the speed at which the glacier moves) due to extending flow, therefore the amount of erosion also increases. On the other hand, gentle slopes e.g. in lowland areas, lead to a decrease in ice velocity and therefore less erosion takes place.

Ice thickness
Thicker glaciers have more erosive power than thinner glaciers.

I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Jazzy! I'm not sure about the glacial surface velocity, however, a few of the factors affecting the effectiveness of glacial erosion include:

Climate
Frequent fluctuations in climate allow freeze thaw weathering to attack the rock each time the glacier retreats. When the glacier advances it can erode the loose rock by plucking. Climate also determines whether the glacier is warm based or cold based. Warm based glaciers move quickly due to water underneath the ice (basal sliding), and therefore the rate of erosion is higher. Cold based glaciers are frozen to their beds, and move very slowly through internal deformation, so little erosion occurs.

Geology
Jointed rocks such as granite, sandstone and limestone are more vulnerable to freeze-thaw weathering and plucking than non-jointed rocks. Soft rocks like clay are also easier to erode, and are therefore more vulnerable to glacial erosion.

Slope gradient
Steep slopes e.g. in mountainous areas, lead to an increase in ice velocity (the speed at which the glacier moves) due to extending flow, therefore the amount of erosion also increases. On the other hand, gentle slopes e.g. in lowland areas, lead to a decrease in ice velocity and therefore less erosion takes place.

Ice thickness
Thicker glaciers have more erosive power than thinner glaciers.

I hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much!! you've really helped me :smile:
Original post by Jazzy_j_
Thank you so much!! you've really helped me :smile:

You're welcome :h:

Quick Reply

Latest