The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford for medicine?

Hi,

I am considering applying to Oxford for Medicine, but I am worried about my GCSEs not being good enough. I got 10A*s 2As, and AAAA at AS. I can't apply to Cambridge because my A-Levels subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Oxford say on their website that non-science A-Levels are welcomed. But I am scared I won't even get an interview with my GCSEs.

Thank you!
Mia
You would need to get a solid BMAT because your GCSEs (83% A*s) are below the average shortlisted applicant's (94% A*s).
Original post by Miapham09
Hi,

I am considering applying to Oxford for Medicine, but I am worried about my GCSEs not being good enough. I got 10A*s 2As, and AAAA at AS. I can't apply to Cambridge because my A-Levels subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Oxford say on their website that non-science A-Levels are welcomed. But I am scared I won't even get an interview with my GCSEs.

Thank you!
Mia

You definitely have got a chance, but you'd need a very good BMAT to turn that into a good chance of getting an interview. Honestly, given that this is Medicine, I can't really recommend it unless you're very confident about your ability in the BMAT (and in securing offers at other places).

You could apply.

The above posters are correct that your GCSEs are a bit below average, but based on the above graphs your chances of an offer are about 1 in 9 and 1 in 5 respectively - those numbers are good for medicine. National average is 1 in 11 for all unis.

Obviously it depends on how much you want to go to Oxford and how your chances at other unis are - getting into medicine somewhere is obviously the first priority - but your chances are not unreasonable and you could apply if your want.
Original post by nexttime
The above posters are correct that your GCSEs are a bit below average, but based on the above graphs your chances of an offer are about 1 in 9 and 1 in 5 respectively - those numbers are good for medicine. National average is 1 in 11 for all unis.

Yes but presumably people applying to Oxford are going to be significantly above-average for people applying for Medicine in general, so one would expect that someone in the OP's position would have a much better chance of getting into a medicine school than 1 in 11?
If your heart is set on it, I'd apply. I'd play it 'safe' with the rest of my choices, though.

Original post by Plagioclase
Yes but presumably people applying to Oxford are going to be significantly above-average for people applying for Medicine in general, so one would expect that someone in the OP's position would have a much better chance of getting into a medicine school than 1 in 11?

I assume he's just giving some context to the numbers.
Original post by Plagioclase

To an extent, but medicine is so difficult and a lot of unis are far less transparent than Oxford with how they select. Some attach loads of weight to the PS, the criteria for which are a closely guarded secret, others focus on the interview, which will likely be completely different to Oxford's and no guarantee than the same candidates will do well. Chances of 1 in 7/8 or so for Oxford? Might be worth taking.

My final paragraph sums up the correct position to have regardless.
Reply 7
Ask yourself, would you possibly regret it in the future if you didn't at least try for a place? If the answer is yes, then go and ace your BMAT and apply!! I know you can do it! (Come to the open day on Friday 16th and see what you think, you might not even like it)
Reply 8
What BMAT score would really secure an interview at Oxford/ Cambridge? Is there a cut off for Oxbridge? Also what's the main diff between medicine at oxford and cambridge...I still can't decide :frown: Please help!
Original post by HeyaG
What BMAT score would really secure an interview at Oxford/ Cambridge? Is there a cut off for Oxbridge?

There is no cut off no. BMAT scores for Oxford are in the same link as above.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Also what's the main diff between medicine at oxford and cambridge...I still can't decide :frown: Please help!

Differences:

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose, although equally, some who may have wanted to stay at Oxford may have to go to London). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford - you actually have to do something medical whereas at Cambridge that's not necessarily the case (though to do something truly unrelated is becoming rarer).
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection.
- Oxford gets higher student satisfaction
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
There is no cut off no. BMAT scores for Oxford are in the same link as above.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Differences:

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose, although equally, some who may have wanted to stay at Oxford may have to go to London). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford - you actually have to do something medical whereas at Cambridge that's not necessarily the case (though to do something truly unrelated is becoming rarer).
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection.
- Oxford gets higher student satisfaction

OMG thank you so so much! This has definitely helped me decide more firmly now... I feel like I will go to Cambridge hahaha despite my good GCSEs.Will my only AS UMS mark - 94UMS average in Maths disadvantage me if I plan to study at Cambridge?
Original post by HeyaG
.Will my only AS UMS mark - 94UMS average in Maths disadvantage me if I plan to study at Cambridge?

No
You could apply and get a place, definitely! Just get a really great personal statement and try to do really well in all of your entrance exams, and you'll be in :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by MiracleLeaf
You could apply and get a place, definitely! Just get a really great personal statement and try to do really well in all of your entrance exams, and you'll be in :smile:

Hahah thanks.. i didn't do great in UKCAT but I am throughly focussing on BMAT, in the hope of acing it. Thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending