The Student Room Group

How easy is general studies?

I'm not doing an AS subject, but my school said I should do the AQA bacc Award so I'm required to do an AS in general studies, so how easy is it to get more or less the top marks?
I'd imagine pretty easy since courses like medicine, VetMed etc don't even count it as a choice.
General Studies was really weird for me. The first 2 AS exams were very science based and the 2 A2 exams were a mixture of all kinds of random stuff like politics, ethics and just generally random stuff. I got an A, with almost max marks, in the AS science-themed papers and then apparently a U in my A2 exams (WTF?). It seems the examiner didn't like my opinions on Euthanasia and Religion. It's a load of ******** anyways, Universities don't consider it and how well you do seems so susceptible to chance of what comes up. It's impossible to revise for what they might ask.If it wasn't for the fact you're doing it as part of your AQA Baccalaureate award, i would say don't do it. Universities don't care about General Studies, but doing the AQA Baccalaureate, with all the multiple things it entails, is very impressive to put on your personal statement and to talk about at potential interviews.
Original post by TheTungsten74
General Studies was really weird for me. The first 2 AS exams were very science based and the 2 A2 exams were a mixture of all kinds of random stuff like politics, ethics and just generally random stuff. I got an A, with almost max marks, in the AS science-themed papers and then apparently a U in my A2 exams (WTF?). It seems the examiner didn't like my opinions on Euthanasia and Religion. It's a load of ******** anyways, Universities don't consider it and how well you do seems so susceptible to chance of what comes up. It's impossible to revise for what they might ask.If it wasn't for the fact you're doing it as part of your AQA Baccalaureate award, i would say don't do it. Universities don't care about General Studies, but doing the AQA Baccalaureate, with all the multiple things it entails, is very impressive to put on your personal statement and to talk about at potential interviews.

Yeah, I didn't take it up when I choosing my options for the reason that literally no uni accredits it, but i thought it would be easier to do general studies AS and do the AQA Bacc, rather than immersing myself in a subject I really hate and coming out with a crappy grade.

Quick Reply

Latest