The Student Room Group

Chloroethanol + Benzene --> ???

What is the product of this reaction, I know what it would look like (an OH added to the ethyl group) but what would it be called?
Reply 1
Can you draw the product?
benzene derivative.png

Original post by alow
Can you draw the product?
Reply 3
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
benzene derivative.png

Not quite. Count your carbons.
Original post by alow
Not quite. Count your carbons.

Oh yeah, my mistake

Spoiler

Reply 5
Oh yeah, my mistake

Spoiler

That looks like the right product. Did your procedure state that 2-chloroethanol was the starting material? (although I would think 1-chloroethanol is unstable)

To name it, you have to remember that the alcohol group will take priority, so the name will end in -ol.
Original post by alow
That looks like the right product. Did your procedure state that 2-chloroethanol was the starting material? (although I would think 1-chloroethanol is unstable)

To name it, you have to remember that the alcohol group will take priority, so the name will end in -ol.

Yeah, it's 2-chloroethanol. I would guess it would be phenyl ethanol but I just want confirmation that it would be 2-phenyl ethanol.
Reply 7
Yeah, it's 2-chloroethanol. I would guess it would be phenyl ethanol but I just want confirmation that it would be 2-phenyl ethanol.

2-phenyl ethanol is the right name. It's because if you don't specify the carbon the phenyl is attached to the name is ambiguous, which defeats the point of systematic names.
Original post by alow
2-phenyl ethanol is the right name. It's because if you don't specify the carbon the phenyl is attached to the name is ambiguous, which defeats the point of systematic names.

Sorry last minute question, it isn't phenyl ethan-2-ol due to OH being the functional group, right?
Reply 9
Sorry last minute question, it isn't phenyl ethan-2-ol due to OH being the functional group, right?

The -OH group has a higher priority, so the carbon attached to it is automatically labelled 1. Therefore the phenyl is on carbon number 2.
Original post by alow
The -OH group has a higher priority, so the carbon attached to it is automatically labelled 1. Therefore the phenyl is on carbon number 2.

Thanks

Quick Reply