The Student Room Group

What does it feel like to be addicted to drugs/ a drug addict?

Scroll to see replies

Yupp! I wanaa be one of them! :biggrin:
Awhhhhh thank youu! I wanaa be one of those who save the people who are critically ill so the 'trauma doctors' in the air ambulances, basically they are a bit more experienced than paramedics and they work in the air ambulance it looks like a helicopter :smile: It's always been my passion but im tryna fight my mum because she wants me to do pharmacy :frown:
Well I have a lot to say here... dunno where to begin. I was once addicted to ketamine and another time I was addicted to cocaine now those drugs have very different effects so the addictions feel quite different but at the end of the day it just feels like crap because after you've been addicted for a few weeks you realise that you are no longer using the drug to feel high, you're just using it to feel normal. When you are no longer high it feels like something's horribly wrong as well as a physical low which is similar to being ill where you feel weak, depressed and incapable. Then you get high again and it all spirals down further.

Now, these two drugs I listed are quite physically addicting so the consequences are very serious. Most drugs (speed, sleeping pills, meth) are more psychologically addicting and some addictions are 100% psychological like Netflix, sweets, computer games. Being hooked on a psychological addiction is nothing major to most people, it makes no difference to their life and giving up those sort of things is a lot easier, it can be done with hypnosis.

There's one drug that is extremely addicting both psychologically AND physically and that's called diacetlyl morphine AKA heroin. if you've heard of this drug then you know how devastating it is. It makes you feel super happy (psychological) and numbs all of your pain (physical) so when you put those two together it makes it nearly impossible to quit. Sometimes people can die when they stop taking heroin cold turkey.

So I say try and stay away from drugs but for the love of god, make sure you stay the F away from heroin!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Yupp! I wanaa be one of them! :biggrin:
Awhhhhh thank youu! I wanaa be one of those who save the people who are critically ill so the 'trauma doctors' in the air ambulances, basically they are a bit more experienced than paramedics and they work in the air ambulance it looks like a helicopter :smile: It's always been my passion but im tryna fight my mum because she wants me to do pharmacy :frown:

Have you done any work experience in either role yet? I would imagine paramedic experience would be quite difficult to come by. Just do what you want to do at the end of the day irregardless of what your mum says because it'll be your life and degree, although she's probably just concerned about how dangerous paramedic work can be
I was not old enough when I did my work experience so I did it at a doctor's surgery and a pharmacy instead but I am hoping to join the voluntary team for St. John's ambulance when I'm 18. :biggrin: But I watch alot of shows to do with my dream career and I seem capable. I enjoy hands-on and gorey jobs. I find it very interesting and I want to help people too so I'm sure that's the career for me! :h:
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well I have a lot to say here... dunno where to begin. I was once addicted to ketamine and another time I was addicted to cocaine now those drugs have very different effects so the addictions feel quite different but at the end of the day it just feels like crap because after you've been addicted for a few weeks you realise that you are no longer using the drug to feel high, you're just using it to feel normal. When you are no longer high it feels like something's horribly wrong as well as a physical low which is similar to being ill where you feel weak, depressed and incapable. Then you get high again and it all spirals down further.

Now, these two drugs I listed are quite physically addicting so the consequences are very serious. Most drugs (speed, sleeping pills, meth) are more psychologically addicting and some addictions are 100% psychological like Netflix, sweets, computer games. Being hooked on a psychological addiction is nothing major to most people, it makes no difference to their life and giving up those sort of things is a lot easier, it can be done with hypnosis.

There's one drug that is extremely addicting both psychologically AND physically and that's called diacetlyl morphine AKA heroin. if ypu've heard of this drug well it makes you feel super happy (psychological) and numbs all of your pain (physical) so when you put those two together it makes it nearly impossible to quit. Sometimes people can die when they stop taking heroin cold turkey.

So I say try and stay away from drugs but for the love of god, make sure you stay the F away from heroin!

Thank you for your post JavaScriptMaster, just write as much as you want because I'd prefer serious answers off ex-drug addicts as opposed to all the jokers. How long did you use ketamine and how long did you use cocaine for? What made you start them and what motivated you to stop using them?
You are an ex-drug addict? I didn't know.

Which one was it?
I was not old enough when I did my work experience so I did it at a doctor's surgery and a pharmacy instead but I am hoping to join the voluntary team for St. John's ambulance when I'm 18. :biggrin: But I watch alot of shows to do with my dream career and I seem capable. I enjoy hands-on and gorey jobs. I find it very interesting and I want to help people too so I'm sure that's the career for me! :h:

It's good that you have some work experience of a medical nature at least, I understand it can be quite difficult to arrange. Where are you hoping to study paramedic science?
I wanted to go to Aston University in my hometown, Birmingham but they don't do paramedic science so I'm hoping Birmingham City University :smile:
I wanted to go to Aston University in my hometown, Birmingham but they don't do paramedic science so I'm hoping Birmingham City University :smile:

You live in Birmingham? What's it like to live there? Do you not want to move out for the university experience?
Yupp! It's great! I love living in Birmingham :biggrin: It's quite busy, especially in town, bruhh lol, but mostly everyone is so friendly and theyre are facilities are around every corner :h: I would love too, but my mum doesn't want me too. :s-smilie:
Yupp! It's great! I love living in Birmingham :biggrin: It's quite busy, especially in town, bruhh lol, but mostly everyone is so friendly and theyre are facilities are around every corner :h: I would love too, but my mum doesn't want me too. :s-smilie:

Why is your mum so against you leaving home? :frown:
Where would you go ideally?
She's overprotective and controlling :frown:
I'm not really sure about other universities because I aint looked into them since she's not letting me go anywhere else :tongue:
She's overprotective and controlling :frown:
I'm not really sure about other universities because I aint looked into them since she's not letting me go anywhere else :tongue:

She can't stop you from moving away if you want to. Once you turn 18 you're legally an adult and she has no more power then
Okay well I'm glad to give insight.

Anyway the cocaine addiction came first when I was 17 going on 18. I just tried it at a pub from a "friend of a friend" who I had only met that night. he had just sold to one of my mates so I thought I'd join in and get some for myself too. This was mainly done out of curiosity because cocaine was something I had seen all over the news and film industry and all of a sudden I saw it in front of me in a tiny little bag so I had to have it. Now after the first night, I wasn't hooked because I had a hateful hangover like with alcohol where you say "I'm never drinking again". And then came around the next night out and all I could think of was how incredible that first experience was so I got another half-gram from that guy who I met in the pub. It wasn't long before the half-gram became a full gram and then there were nights where I was taking over three flipping grams! FYI: this is the high-grade cocaine which I'm describing. In the UK it generally costs £50 for a half gram and £100 for a whole gram. You see where I'm going with this? In just a few months I had spend thousands on this stuff and had nothing to show for it. The money problem is what ultimately lead me to quit, thank god I wasn't an adult with a house on the line. I got involved in some dangerous business (which I can't describe on TSR) to fund my habit and got in trouble with the police so I hit rock bottom at that point. The police forwarded me to a drugs treatment clinic and they gave me therapy and stuff that helped me quit, it was actually a good program, though I think I still would have quit without it by that point anyway. Overall I was addicted for 5 months and If I try to remember those days of my life (which is hard because cocaine batters your memory) then I see it in black-and-white like a gloomy film.

Ketamine on the other hand was a bit more sudden and I was 19 at the time about to start university. So Sixth form had finished which gave a long summer of anticipation and boredom. I managed to find dealers for ketamine (among other strange drugs) from the hippie rave scene in London which is still alive, believe it or not. I had done it at raves and forest parties and didn't feel addicted at all because I just felt the trippyness, but then one day I was at home with some leftovers that I got from the rave and just because I was bored, I sniffed it and started tripping... Because I was bored all day i figured why not be trippy all day? and so that's what I did. and honestly, I think I was addicted by the next morning. I just woke up feeling ill and nauseated but I felt like if I could have more ket then everything would be OK (unlike the morning after alcohol & early days coke) so the same day I went and got some more and I think I went to get some everyday thereafter for about 2 months. Everyday for the two months I was just tripping nonstop and my physical health suffered badly, I became super pale (in the middle of the summer) and really weak as well as having a droopy-looking face like it didn't hold itself up properly. However, quitting it was easy in my scenario, I moved to my university town and didn't know anyone who sold the stuff so I just moved on because I had to... And freshers week helped me forget all about it :biggrin:
True :biggrin: I'm not sure I'll probably still stay in Birmingham because I don't need to worry about travelling, accommodation, necessities, I can get on with my studies if you get me, but I get where your coming from. :tongue:
When I was addicted to a drug I didn't even realise. Which I'm sure sounds silly to anybody else, but at the time I was taking medication prescribed by my GP, I wasn't abusing it - I never took too much, or too frequently, or anything like that. I was taking it legitimately for the condition it was prescribed for, and every month I got more and was never questioned.

Then one month I miscalculated, and ran out on a Friday but couldn't get my new prescription until Monday.

Th worst bit was the leg pain. It was like I had to keep moving my legs every few seconds, but that only brought a tiny bit of relief. I could barely sleep because of the restlessness. It was like my bones were itchy and my legs were on fire.

I couldn't eat anything, because I just couldn't. I was very fidgety and couldn't sit still - I'm copying some of this from a post I wrote on a different website at the time, and by the time I'd written 8 sentences I'd already fidgeted 20 times. My brain was muddy and I couldn't think. I was basically watching Arthru all day, as each episode was short enough for me to be able to follow. I had a new book that I wanted to read, but I was unable to follow the story.

After 4 days I finally managed to get out of bed, make dinner, and do the washing up.

So my story is more of a story about withdrawal, but part of addiction is that the withdrawal sucks so you want to take more drug to avoid the withdrawal. If you take the drug, you know all the bad things will go away for a few hours. So you want to keep taking, and keep taking, and keep taking.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Okay well I'm glad to give insight.

Anyway the cocaine addiction came first when I was 17 going on 18. I just tried it at a pub from a "friend of a friend" who I had only met that night. he had just sold to one of my mates so I thought I'd join in and get some for myself too. This was mainly done out of curiosity because cocaine was something I had seen all over the news and film industry and all of a sudden I saw it in front of me in a tiny little bag so I had to have it. Now after the first night, I wasn't hooked because I had a hateful hangover like with alcohol where you say "I'm never drinking again". And then came around the next night out and all I could think of was how incredible that first experience was so I got another half-gram from that guy who I met in the pub. It wasn't long before the half-gram became a full gram and then there were nights where I was taking over three flipping grams! FYI: this is the high-grade cocaine which I'm describing. In the UK it generally costs £50 for a half gram and £100 for a whole gram. You see where I'm going with this? In just a few months I had spend thousands on this stuff and had nothing to show for it. The money problem is what ultimately lead me to quit, thank god I wasn't an adult with a house on the line. I got involved in some dangerous business (which I can't describe on TSR) to fund my habit and got in trouble with the police so I hit rock bottom at that point. The police forwarded me to a drugs treatment clinic and they gave me therapy and stuff that helped me quit, it was actually a good program, though I think I still would have quit without it by that point anyway. Overall I was addicted for 5 months and If I try to remember those days of my life (which is hard because cocaine batters your memory) then I see it in black-and-white like a gloomy film.

Ketamine on the other hand was a bit more sudden and I was 19 at the time about to start university. So Sixth form had finished which gave a long summer of anticipation and boredom. I managed to find dealers for ketamine (among other strange drugs) from the hippie rave scene in London which is still alive, believe it or not. I had done it at raves and forest parties and didn't feel addicted at all because I just felt the trippyness, but then one day I was at home with some leftovers that I got from the rave and just because I was bored, I sniffed it and started tripping... Because I was bored all day i figured why not be trippy all day? and so that's what I did. and honestly, I think I was addicted by the next morning. I just woke up feeling ill and nauseated but I felt like if I could have more ket then everything would be OK (unlike the morning after alcohol & early days coke) so the same day I went and got some more and I think I went to get some everyday thereafter for about 2 months. Everyday for the two months I was just tripping nonstop and my physical health suffered badly, I became super pale (in the middle of the summer) and really weak as well as having a droopy-looking face like it didn't hold itself up properly. However, quitting it was easy in my scenario, I moved to my university town and didn't know anyone who sold the stuff so I just moved on because I had to... And freshers week helped me forget all about it :biggrin:

Thank you for being so elaborate, I'm truly thankful to you for writing all this down :biggrin: I'm glad that you got off the drugs in the end though, cocaine is quite strong stuff. So, did your family or friends ever find out about it? If so what happened?
True :biggrin: I'm not sure I'll probably still stay in Birmingham because I don't need to worry about travelling, accommodation, necessities, I can get on with my studies if you get me, but I get where your coming from. :tongue:

Whatever you choose to do I hope it works out well for you! Are you doing an EPQ aswell?
Original post by Anonymous
When I was addicted to a drug I didn't even realise. Which I'm sure sounds silly to anybody else, but at the time I was taking medication prescribed by my GP, I wasn't abusing it - I never took too much, or too frequently, or anything like that. I was taking it legitimately for the condition it was prescribed for, and every month I got more and was never questioned.

Then one month I miscalculated, and ran out on a Friday but couldn't get my new prescription until Monday.

Th worst bit was the leg pain. It was like I had to keep moving my legs every few seconds, but that only brought a tiny bit of relief. I could barely sleep because of the restlessness. It was like my bones were itchy and my legs were on fire.

I couldn't eat anything, because I just couldn't. I was very fidgety and couldn't sit still - I'm copying some of this from a post I wrote on a different website at the time, and by the time I'd written 8 sentences I'd already fidgeted 20 times. My brain was muddy and I couldn't think. I was basically watching Arthru all day, as each episode was short enough for me to be able to follow. I had a new book that I wanted to read, but I was unable to follow the story.

After 4 days I finally managed to get out of bed, make dinner, and do the washing up.

So my story is more of a story about withdrawal, but part of addiction is that the withdrawal sucks so you want to take more drug to avoid the withdrawal. If you take the drug, you know all the bad things will go away for a few hours. So you want to keep taking, and keep taking, and keep taking.

Thank you Anon, that sounds like an awful experience to go through :frown:

I guess people can become addicted to legal prescription drugs aswell as the illegal stuff.

Did the doctor say anything if you told them?
Thank youu! :biggrin: I'm not sure, because we havent been given our enrichment opportunities yet so idk :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest