The Student Room Group

What actuaries do.

I am just going to add 1 or 2 lines on what actuaries do, sort of like a summary on my application to a certain work experience placement, does this sound about right to you? http://prntscr.com/cl72x7 Is this generally what actuaries do.
Why are you adding that to a job/work application?
Original post by ihatehannah
I am just going to add 1 or 2 lines on what actuaries do, sort of like a summary on my application to a certain work experience placement, does this sound about right to you? http://prntscr.com/cl72x7 Is this generally what actuaries do.

Does Hannah know you feel this way ?

Jk I have no idea I was actually looking into actuarial science at uni though but I could have another look and see if it's about right. Are you aspiring to being an actuary ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't sound anything remotely like what actuaries do. Especially the use of "investments". *

Also it sounds more pensions than insurance (though to be fair in the UK pension is one of three strands, life and GI the others, but certainly in other countries you can be a pension guy and not be an actuary).

What kind of placement are you applying to and how does this text fit into your wider cover letter?

ps I work for an actuarial consultancy.
Original post by yudothis
That doesn't sound anything remotely like what actuaries do. Especially the use of "investments". *

Also it sounds more pensions than insurance (though to be fair in the UK pension is one of three strands, life and GI the others, but certainly in other countries you can be a pension guy and not be an actuary).

What kind of placement are you applying to and how does this text fit into your wider cover letter?

ps I work for an actuarial consultancy.

PWC classroom, it is not a work experience placement , but they teach you a lot
of skills like interview skills and how to make a good first impression. Can you
summarise what it is actuaries actually do please, thank you.
PWC classroom, it is not a work experience placement , but they teach you a lot
of skills like interview skills and how to make a good first impression. Can you
summarise what it is actuaries actually do please, thank you.

Googling is a skill that cannot ever be underestimated.
Googling is a skill that cannot ever be underestimated.

well I thought I had the rare opportunity to get an insight on what they do by an
actual employee that can tell me what exactly he does, but ok I will use google.
well I thought I had the rare opportunity to get an insight on what they do by an
actual employee that can tell me what exactly he does, but ok I will use google.

Did you?

Did you expect an actuary to reply to your thread?

Because if you had googled before making the thread, you a) could have answered your own question, and b) would know what to write instead.

Anyway, I am serious, I use Google at work all the time, and at uni it was critical to find the right sources and material to help you understand concepts.

Also what I do may be totally different to what an actuary does that is simply a pricing actuary at an insurer. But since your text is very short anyway, if you want just one sentence it would be something like an actuary analyses, identifies and manages the risks on the liability side of the balance sheet. You do get other things, like pricing, or even looking at assets in ALM in life insurance, but broadly speaking actuaries = risk of liabilities (=insurers), financiers = risk of assets (=banks).
x

Are you a qualified actuary?
Original post by Chittesh14
Are you a qualified actuary?

Not yet.
Not yet.

CAA yet? :biggrin:
They sit in their office chairs and boast about how much money they make.
CAA yet? :biggrin:

I don't work in the UK. I have three exams left and then a final presentation/talk.
I don't work in the UK. I have three exams left and then a final presentation/talk.

Oh right lol, good luck ! :biggrin:
Oh right lol, good luck ! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending