The Student Room Group

things to do to get into a good uni other than getting good grades

So I'm currently in year 11 and in the future I would like to do dentistry. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on what sort of extra things I should do to make myself stand out, so I have other things to talk about other than my grades. I have already done DofE and some work experience ,and I am trying to find myself some more work experience to do and I'm planning on doing NCS this year. Is there anything else I could do? Also, should I start doing activities in school like dancing and hockey?
I advise that you don't do NCS. Continue with DofE, take up any roles in school you can, such as an ambassador or anything else. Grades form a reasonable part, but they're not everything. Get your work experience (at least two weeks of highly relevant experience in your chosen trade overall) and aim to build your statement around wider reading and such.
I'd say clubs/activities aren't helpful unless they directly relate to dentistry or you're the leader/captain. Any roles such as Prefect or a similar high ranked position. Work experience is key, maybe show you can work with different age groups, or people with disabilities. And obviously work experience in a dental/orthodontist surgery. Something that shows initiative, for example I had tutoring; you could also do a mini-business.
Original post by AdHominem
I advise that you don't do NCS. Continue with DofE, take up any roles in school you can, such as an ambassador or anything else. Grades form a reasonable part, but they're not everything. Get your work experience (at least two weeks of highly relevant experience in your chosen trade overall) and aim to build your statement around wider reading and such.

Thank you!! x
Original post by Sarah1778
I'd say clubs/activities aren't helpful unless they directly relate to dentistry or you're the leader/captain. Any roles such as Prefect or a similar high ranked position. Work experience is key, maybe show you can work with different age groups, or people with disabilities. And obviously work experience in a dental/orthodontist surgery. Something that shows initiative, for example I had tutoring; you could also do a mini-business.

thankyou!! x
basically as above. super curricula are important with things like dentistry/medicine/pharmacy/veterinary sciences. try and attend lectures/ broaden knowledge of a chosen field. wider reading is useful. work experience too, but focus on what you learn from it, not how much you do.
Original post by homeland.lsw
basically as above. super curricula are important with things like dentistry/medicine/pharmacy/veterinary sciences. try and attend lectures/ broaden knowledge of a chosen field. wider reading is useful. work experience too, but focus on what you learn from it, not how much you do.

Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest