The Student Room Group

Jobs to avoid if you don't like sitting in an office most of the time

What are jobs which you should avoid if you don't like spending most of the week in the office? Or if it's easier to answer, what are jobs to go for if you like to get out and about and not just sit at your desk most of the time?
Reply 1
Anything that earns you good money
Original post by Ybsy75
What are jobs which you should avoid if you don't like spending most of the week in the office? Or if it's easier to answer, what are jobs to go for if you like to get out and about and not just sit at your desk most of the time?

construction innit fam
Jobs that will get you out.

Astronaut , Archaeologist , Forensic Detective , Police , Paramedic. Could go further...
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Jobs that will get you out.

Astronaut , Archaeologist , Forensic Detective , Police , Paramedic. Could go further...

WOW.u just literally wrote all my dream jobs especially Forensic Detective
Original post by Ybsy75
Or if it's easier to answer, what are jobs to go for if you like to get out and about and not just sit at your desk most of the time?

Field geologist?
Original post by Ybsy75

If you don't like spending time in the office don't work in:

* Legal
* Recruitment Sales & HR
* Administration (obvious)
* Call Centre
* Social Work
* Construction

Accepted a job offer today to work in recruitment but this sector is well known to be a boring 'soul destroying' office job because most of the time you constantly go on the phone all day with no face to face interaction with clients and candidates especially when you work in the social care sector (DBS Checks and other compliance). Basically a lot of things involve huge amounts of paperwork which isn't fun in any way.
Original post by Welshstig
construction innit fam

Because it also involves a lot of travel for different projects in different offices?
Original post by Ybsy75

Think its easier to say what jobs don't involve sitting at your desk all the time: teacher, anything healthcare based, social worker, museum assistant/curator, policeman. Those are the ones I can think of for the moment.
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
Think its easier to say what jobs don't involve sitting at your desk all the time: teacher, anything healthcare based, social worker, museum assistant/curator, policeman. Those are the ones I can think of for the moment.

I don't think there's many though. Probably because more and more sectors are being swamped with paperwork. Even healthcare I think is becoming more and more swamped with paperwork. I'm pretty sure even in healthcare unless you're in a patient facing role, most of your work is office and paperwork based.

I also hear that jobs like doctor, social worker, police and teacher these days are increasingly having to spend more time sitting at a desk doing paperwork.
(edited 7 years ago)
Avoid most of the jobs in financial services- accounting, actuarial, trading, banking

Maybe a career as a GP or dentist could be too office based as well.
tbh most graduate jobs will involve being in an office for long periods of time.

Jobs like civil/structural engineering or environmental related such as geology will get out out of an office onto a site. However you should expect to be in an office playing around with CAD/GIS or looking at data sets in these jobs also.

Almost any job now involves a computer.
Reply 12
Also many non office jobs involve regular over night shifts.
Original post by Ybsy75
Also many non office jobs involve regular over night shifts.

Are you saying all office jobs are 9-5? What about call centre jobs - they always involve overnight shifts. Don't say I'm wrong because I did a call centre stint last year and there were many times where I did evening shifts that got me extremely exhausted!

I work in recruitment now and the hours are nearly the same as a call centre!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ybsy75
I don't think there's many though. Probably because more and more sectors are being swamped with paperwork. Even healthcare I think is becoming more and more swamped with paperwork. I'm pretty sure even in healthcare unless you're in a patient facing role, most of your work is office and paperwork based.

I also hear that jobs like doctor, social worker, police and teacher these days are increasingly having to spend more time sitting at a desk doing paperwork.

True, hence why I said they don't involve sitting at desk all the time, rather than you never sit at a desk with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending