The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No they don't know. I have failed english 10x and when i applied to ucas i only enter the highest grade that i have gotten from the english and threw away the rest :smile: they are only intrested in the pass grade regardless of how many time you fail.
Reply 2
Pretty much yeah they do.

When on UCAS you have to enter the year you achieved your GCSE grade. If you say got your English GCSE in 2016 but all your other GCSEs in 2014 it's pretty obvious to them why this is the case i.e. they will know that you retook it.

In regards to whether the university will care or not it really depends on the uni and the subject. Obviously most universities care about A level results more so than GCSEs. For top unis/heavily essay based courses like law or history you will generally find that they want a B in the English language GCSE.

Check out each university's specific entrance requirements though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
You need to include all grades, otherwise the uni can remove your offer. If you've already gone to uni when they find out (because you have to show certificates etc) then your offer will be withdrawn and you are expelled
Reply 4
I want to do accounting and math joint honour degree in lancaster uni which is well a top uni. Im great at math. I do a level math aswell. Am i going to be rejected then.
Reply 5
Original post by mnak123456
I want to do accounting and math joint honour degree in lancaster uni which is well a top uni. Im great at math. I do a level math aswell. Am i going to be rejected then.

No. But you may be rejected if they find you have made a fraudulent application by omitting your previous grades. And that rejection or exclusion could occur at any time in your university career.

So, declare all your grades.
Reply 6
Ok i will show them all my grades. Does lancaster university care about gcse grade much. And can somone have any experience in this type of situation and ended up getting into a good university and doing the course they want
Reply 7
Ok i will show them all my grades. Does lancaster university care about gcse grade much. And can somone have any experience in this type of situation and ended up getting into a good university and doing the course they want

If you include all the attempts, it shows that you will persevere until you achieve something. It shows that you can read and follow instructions (ucas tells you to declare all grades) and also that you are honest. These qualities are much more important than your resit.
Reply 8
Ok. Has anyone went through the same position
Reply 9
Original post by andrey20
No they don't know. I have failed english 10x and when i applied to ucas i only enter the highest grade that i have gotten from the english and threw away the rest :smile: they are only intrested in the pass grade regardless of how many time you fail.

thank you that is so soooooo reassuring
Reply 10
thank you that is so soooooo reassuring

And also wrong to not enter the previous grades. (Assuming the poster isn't trolling you.)
Reply 11
Also what if you failed some gcse do you have to enter it or leave it. Im talking another subject not english or math
Reply 12
Also what if you failed some gcse do you have to enter it or leave it. Im talking another subject not english or math

All grades must be declared. Including Us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I failed english language twice before passing in it. Would the acerage university know or even care. Can someone answer this im really scared

Yes because you are under a duty to disclose it as party of the terms of using UCAS. Nothing to be afraid of though.
Reply 14
Okay. Nice to know. Thank you all for all the advices. Feel much better now.
You are bound to declare everything and the first reply to you was incorrect.
Lancaster is however not Oxbridge etc, who I believe do care much more about resits and pointedly ask only for first try grades.
Since it's an unrelated subject, GCSE and you did pass in the end, I wouldn't be too worried.
However, (I presume you've already had an offer?) you should really ring up the uni and ask them for advice, or show all grades. Sometimes UCAS isn't as clear as it needs to be.
for gcse resit are usally for either maths or english and some school let you resit it as many time even when you are doing A-levels. I not sure about entering all the resits because i have entered a E on my gcse maths but during A-level i have gotten 2 C in AS and a B in A2 . When i first applied to ucas i have entered a grade E for my maths (since i did it at year 10-11) and gotten my certificate on it, however, for the resits i just input my highest grade which was a B in maths (haven't recieve my certificate yet since i just gottent he result) and i didn't put the 2 C that i have achieved during the resit. I'd thought about entering all grade i achieved but it was just stupid why enter all the same qualification with different grade? and not just take the highest one? well anyway i got into univeristy and gcse didn't really matter much as long as you got good A-level or met the ucas points :smile: for example it may matter a lot if some course require a B in math and that why i resit it few time in order to get it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know about GCSE results, but I think universities definitely know your A Level results. I got a U in one subject for A Level, which I obviously didn't put on the UCAS application because what would have been the point? A U isn't worth anything!

When I re-enrolled for the second year online, it came up with my A Level results and staggeringly it listed the U that I didn't even put on my UCAS application, which proves UCAS must be able to get information from the exam boards.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I don't know about GCSE results, but I think universities definitely know your A Level results. I got a U in one subject for A Level, which I obviously didn't put on the UCAS application because what would have been the point? A U isn't worth anything!

When I re-enrolled for the second year online, it came up with my A Level results and staggeringly it listed the U that I didn't even put on my UCAS application, which proves UCAS must be able to get information from the exam boards.

It's almost as if there's a national database of all students exam results and entries.....

Like this one https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-pupil-database
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

Was that U in your 3 main A-level course? then i guess it would have appear. I have gotten a U on my 4th A-level so i dropped it at the end and kept my other 3 A-level course . So the U existence was never on my ucas as i will be just using 3 A-level to enter a unvieristy course.

Latest