The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Level Choice 4 Economics at Uni

I'm in a bit of a predicament here, because from what I can see every post relating to this suggests that further maths is required to do Economics at LSE.

I got 9 a stars and an A at GCSE, and picking A level, Chemistry, Maths, Economics and Physics and will drop one of these by January. Can you guys please give me some relief and tell me that there isn't much threat, or issues to be worried about 😥😬😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I think you should do FM. I'm quite sure they basically expect you to have it as a 4th subject, unless you didn't have the choice e.g. it isn't offered at your school or you can only do 3 A Levels at your school. Not that people don't get in without it, but you're not doing yourself any favours.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Tbh I think you should do FM. I'm quite sure they basically expect you to have it as a 4th subject, unless you didn't have the choice e.g. it isn't offered at your school or you can only do 3 A Levels at your school. Not that people don't get in without it, but you're not doing yourself any favours.

Do you reckon my application will be at a disadvantage to others despite my target grades being A* A* A A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B4sh
Do you reckon my application will be at a disadvantage to others despite my target grades being A* A* A A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no one is going to be applying without top predicted grades as the offer is A*AA, so your predicted grades aren't going to give you any advantage. There will be a thousand other applicants with the same grades as you or better who do have FM.

For LSE, the majority are applying with great grades, so the most important part for them is the personal statement. So what can balance out no FM is a PS like poetry, where you provide evidence of your skills in maths.
You need to study Further Maths. Without it you will likely be rejected by LSE. Check it out with them to get a definite answer
You need FM, at least to AS level
Reply 6
Original post by B4sh
I'm in a bit of a predicament here, because from what I can see every post relating to this suggests that further maths is required to do Economics at LSE.

I got 9 a stars and an A at GCSE, and picking A level, Chemistry, Maths, Economics and Physics and will drop one of these by January. Can you guys please give me some relief and tell me that there isn't much threat, or issues to be worried about 😥😬😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does LSE itself say:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2017/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx
"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as History"

And now let's have a look at the most popular subjects students studied before attending:
https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/economics-bsc-hons/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london/cd/54987366/5884/
98% Maths
80% Economics
43% Further Maths
30% Physics
22% Chemistry

So less than half have FM at A-level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
What does LSE itself say:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2017/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx
"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as History"

And now let's have a look at the most popular subjects students studied before attending:
https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/economics-bsc-hons/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london/cd/54987366/5884/
98% Maths
80% Economics
43% Further Maths
30% Physics
22% Chemistry

So less than half have FM at A-level.

Hence you have answered my question? I'm not in threat??! 😅😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending