The Student Room Group

Engineering entry requirements

Does anyone know if a C in higher physics is enough to apply. I have 2 A's 2 B's and a C (physics). B in maths. Dundee uni says typical offer is 2 As and 2 B's to include maths and physics. Do they mean physics should be an A or B?
Original post by Susie07
Does anyone know if a C in higher physics is enough to apply. I have 2 A's 2 B's and a C (physics). B in maths. Dundee uni says typical offer is 2 As and 2 B's to include maths and physics. Do they mean physics should be an A or B?

chances are yeah they will want a B in physics. Though it could be possible with the C, email them and ask. Even if they say no, could be worth applying anyway.

Are your choices limited to Scotland, or will you consider anywhere else in UK?
Reply 2
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
chances are yeah they will want a B in physics. Though it could be possible with the C, email them and ask. Even if they say no, could be worth applying anyway.

Are your choices limited to Scotland, or will you consider anywhere else in UK?

I agree on the first point but I doubt expanding her choices to include any university in the rest of the UK would actually help. Since we effectively enter at foundation level in Scotland rather than 1st year in the rest of the UK, most universities will expect you to have done relevant advanced highers so the entry requirements are normally harder. There's also the issue of fees too :tongue:

To the OP, are you going to be doing some kind of physics in 6th year, whether that's advanced higher or resitting higher? Also, you have basically 8 options for physics in Scotland so you can choose 5 of them on UCAS. I'd say based on your grades that Aberdeen, Dundee, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde and UWS would be your best set of choices available.

EDIT: Just reread the title, engineering not physics. What kind of engineering?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by qno2
I agree on the first point but I doubt expanding her choices to include any university in the rest of the UK would actually help. Since we effectively enter at foundation level in Scotland rather than 1st year in the rest of the UK, most universities will expect you to have done relevant advanced highers so the entry requirements are normally harder. There's also the issue of fees too :tongue:

To the OP, are you going to be doing some kind of physics in 6th year, whether that's advanced higher or resitting higher? Also, you have basically 8 options for physics in Scotland so you can choose 5 of them on UCAS. I'd say based on your grades that Aberdeen, Dundee, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde and UWS would be your best set of choices available.

EDIT: Just reread the title, engineering not physics. What kind of engineering?

Yes. But there are numerous engineering foundation years (year 0) that are offered in England/Wales, something that Scotland tend not to offer for the reasons you stated. I would suggest applying for one of those that accept students from science/maths backgrounds if RUK universities were an option.

Quick Reply

Latest