The Student Room Group

Cambridge college with ensuite for all 4 years?

Hi, I will apply to Cambridge for Engineering quite soon but I still haven't decided on a college. I have tried to narrow it down by looking at facilities etc but to be honest they all seem exceptional and at this point I would be more interested in other factors such as whether you can get ensuite bedrooms for your entire course. Of course, being close to the engineering department would be a bonus but it is definitely not necessary, plus I heard that applying to colleges not so close to the city centre may give you a better chance of getting in :confused:

So far it seems like Downing is pretty good and fits my "criteria" :grin: but what other colleges would you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clfm10
Hi, I will apply to Cambridge for Engineering quite soon but I still haven't decided on a college. I have tried to narrow it down by looking at facilities etc but to be honest they all seem exceptional and at this point I would be more interested in other factors such as whether you can get ensuite bedrooms for your entire course. Of course, being close to the engineering department would be a bonus but it is definitely not necessary, plus I heard that applying to colleges not so close to the city centre may give you a better chance of getting in :confused:

So far it seems like Downing is pretty good and fits my "criteria" :grin: but what other colleges would you recommend?

Thank you very much!

You go on housing ballot from the second year onwards, so no guarantee if you can get en suite every year at any college.
Original post by vincrows
You go on housing ballot from the second year onwards, so no guarantee if you can get en suite every year at any college.

huh? is that so? even for Downing? Because I read that you specify what band you can afford so surely you can choose the one with ensuite? If not then this is even more difficult than I thought... how am I supposed to choose a college now? hahaha
Original post by clfm10
huh? is that so? even for Downing? Because I read that you specify what band you can afford so surely you can choose the one with ensuite? If not then this is even more difficult than I thought... how am I supposed to choose a college now? hahaha

Also, from the second year onwards you'll usually want to live with your friends, so what sort/part of accommodation you'll want to live with them is going to be an important factor for decision, too.

Honestly, don't spend too much time on choosing a college.
Everyone loves their college and thinks theirs is the best even if they were pooled there. And what you may think very important at this stage may change once you are there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, from the second year onwards you'll usually want to live with your friends, so what sort/part of accommodation you'll want to live with them is going to be an tor for decision, too.

Yeah this is going to be tough
Original post by clfm10
Yeah this is going to be tough

Read my edit?

If you think you like downing best atm, apply to them.
I'm sure you'll love it.....and so will you at any college. :wink:
Read my edit?

If you think you like downing best atm, apply to them.
I'm sure you'll love it.....and so will you at any college. :wink:

I did now! thanks I am sure it will be that way. Honestly at this point I'll probably toss a coin... a 31 sided one or something :biggrin:
Original post by clfm10
I did now! thanks I am sure it will be that way. Honestly at this point I'll probably toss a coin... a 31 sided one or something :biggrin:

Tossing a coin is a perfectly fine method.
Now you can concentrate on much more important thing = getting ready for pre-int test & interview. :wink:
Good luck with your application. :smile:
Tossing a coin is a perfectly fine method.
Now you can concentrate on much more important thing = getting ready for pre-int test & interview. :wink:
Good luck with your application. :smile:

Hahaha true that but to be honest the pre interview test doesn't look to bad. Still need to prepare for it and nail it though haha.
Do you want to be in centre? It's more difficult to take part in things if you are far away.

Sydney Sussex main entrance is opposite Sainsburys - very important (and SS is supposed to have the best food!) Check prices of food btw - vary quite a bit.

If you're in what they think is the poorer accommodation in the first year- poorer by their standards you understand- (& you will be, in all probability) you will be placed at the top of the list to choose in the second.) A relative of mine was in what was deemed to be the 'worst' but still had a very acceptable room with en suite.
Original post by pickup
Do you want to be in centre? It's more difficult to take part in things if you are far away.

Cambridge is not that big.......

Sydney Sussex main entrance is opposite Sainsburys - very important (and SS is supposed to have the best food!)
never heard such a thing......:wink:

If you're in what they think is the poorer accommodation in the first year- poorer by their standards you understand- (& you will be, in all probability) you will be placed at the top of the list to choose in the second.) A relative of mine was in what was deemed to be the 'worst' but still had a very acceptable room with en suite.

What they usually do at most colleges is just to reverse the order of ballot following year, so people who were the last to choose previously get to choose first next year. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Cambridge is not that big.......

never heard such a thing......:wink:

What they usually do at most colleges is just to reverse the order of ballot following year, so people who were the last to choose previously get to choose first next year. :wink:

Girton eg, is over 2 miles from the centre of Cambridge - far enough to walk/cycle on a bitter February day and requires more effort than being already in the centre of things.

'The Sidney Catering Department is widely regarded a one best in Cambridge and offers a variety of services to student, staff and the public.
The Staff

Sidney Sussex College has an award winning team of chefs and front of house staff.

For three of the last five years Sidney has won the Cambridge Colleges Culinary competition and the Head Chef Stephen Mather has won a gold medal at the national Hotelolympia event in London.'

https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/life/catering/
Original post by pickup
Girton eg, is over 2 miles from the centre of Cambridge - far enough to walk/cycle on a bitter February day and requires more effort than being already in the centre of things.

'The Sidney Catering Department is widely regarded a one best in Cambridge and offers a variety of services to student, staff and the public.
The Staff

Sidney Sussex College has an award winning team of chefs and front of house staff.

For three of the last five years Sidney has won the Cambridge Colleges Culinary competition and the Head Chef Stephen Mather has won a gold medal at the national Hotelolympia event in London.'

https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/life/catering/

Are you at Sidney?
The last time you posted here was 2 yrs ago, again praising Sidney......

Btw, that competition is purely a competition of chefs with free reign of menu/budget. Doesn't necessarily reflect quality of food a college provide as daily meals for students.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pickup

Sydney Sussex main entrance is opposite Sainsburys - very important (and SS is supposed to have the best food!) Check prices of food btw - vary quite a bit.

I don't really have a preference on where it is located as long as it is not too far away from Engineering lectures etc.
I read online that st.Johns is located in a pretty centered place close to anything if it came necessary to go to other parts of the city. Also on their website they say that students can stay in their rooms for the Christmas and Easter periods without paying any extra money, and as I said that all colleges seem exceptional, this minor detail is good enough to convince me to go there hahaha.

Thanks for the recommendation of SS anyway though. I appreciate it.
Reply 14
Original post by pickup

That's well under 10 minutes biking. Hardly enough to matter.
Original post by alow
That's well under 10 minutes biking. Hardly enough to matter.

hmmm interesting. Worth taking a look at it. Do you know if there are any other colleges that let you use your room for the vacation periods without paying extra like st.John's?

Thanks!
Original post by clfm10
I don't really have a preference on where it is located as long as it is not too far away from Engineering lectures etc.
I read online that st.Johns is located in a pretty centered place close to anything if it came necessary to go to other parts of the city.

All colleges in town centre are close to everything. The town centre of Cambridge is really quite small and this is how close colleges are to each other.
https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.197783,0.117974,15

Just to give you a perspective, from Magdalene college which is the northern-most town centre college to Engineering dept which is out of town centre in the south it only takes 5 min or so on bike and about 20 min on foot.
Even from Fitzwilliam college which is one of hill-colleges out of town centre in the north engineering dept is only 10 min bike ride away. (30 min on foot, according to google map)

If you ride a bike, everywhere you need to get to is within 10 min ride and 20/25 min or so,if you walk. (Except for Girton/Homerton)

Also on their website they say that students can stay in their rooms for the Christmas and Easter periods without paying any extra money, and as I said that all colleges seem exceptional, this minor detail is good enough to convince me to go there hahaha.

Afaik, John's is the only college that allows you to stay over Xmas/Easter holiday for free. Are you international? If that's so, that sort of things may be very important.
But you said you wanted to avoid a part which is full of tourists. John is. It's one of the most-visited colleges by tourists, and they're on the junction of a street that's busiest with tourist and a street that's most busy with local shoppers.

If you decide to apply to John's, be prepared to be the biggest target of inter-college banters. :tongue:

Thanks for the recommendation of SS anyway though. I appreciate it.
Sidney is on the street that gets very busy with local shoppers.

Perhaps your first choice of downing fits your bill most nicely. :wink:

One important thing, though......
Don't spend too long to decide which college or attach yourself too much emotionally to a college of your choice. If you're good enough to Cambridge, you'll get in but not necessarily to a college you applied to. There's always a chance you get pooled to somewhere else. But you'll love there even you were. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
I've been told that King's college guarantees ensuite for all 4 years? At least I know somebody who went to King's (he told me that it guarantees ensuite if you want one), and he got an ensuite room both years so far. He chose to live far away from his friends in the second year for his ensuite though.
Original post by lamint
I've been told that King's college guarantees ensuite for all 4 years? At least I know somebody who went to King's (he told me that it guarantees ensuite if you want one), and he got an ensuite room both years so far. He chose to live far away from his friends in the second year for his ensuite though.

It doesn't really say anything like that in their website but tbh I'm beginning to think that all colleges would be like that if you are willing to pay the higher bands so maybe it is a less important factor than I thought
Reply 19
Original post by clfm10

Thank you very much!

I will have had an ensuite every year (of a 4 year course) at Trinity. :smile: 1st year they send you a form which you can put your preferences on and if you write you'd like an ensuite in the box they'll most probably give you one. 2nd year it depends where you are in the ballot, which is random, but there will be ensuites left to pick for at least the first 100-odd people to pick. 3rd year there will definitely be ensuites available to pick from. If you get a 1st in 2nd year, you'll certainly be able to get an ensuite in 4th year. If you don't get a 1st in 2nd year you probably won't be able to get an ensuite in 4th year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending