The Student Room Group

Exam entry for the same subject in the same exam season but different exam boards?

If I entered myself as a private candidate to sit a GCSE English Language exam with Edexcel but my college enters me for one with AQA. Is this possible? Are you able to sit the same subject with different exam boards in the same season? Thanks and it's because my college may have already entered me but i want to enter with a different exam board where I feel I'll do better
Reply 1
Theoretically it's fine, although you should check exam dates as they may well be on the same day at the same time. This will be a huge problem if you're sitting them at different centres.
Reply 2
Original post by Clemm101
Theoretically it's fine, although you should check exam dates as they may well be on the same day at the same time. This will be a huge problem if you're sitting them at different centres.

Thanks and one more question. Which grade will count? Is it the higher grade?
Reply 3
Original post by Datalwo
Thanks and one more question. Which grade will count? Is it the higher grade?

Both. You will have two GCSEs.
Reply 4
Original post by Datalwo
If I entered myself as a private candidate to sit a GCSE English Language exam with Edexcel but my college enters me for one with AQA. Is this possible? Are you able to sit the same subject with different exam boards in the same season? Thanks and it's because my college may have already entered me but i want to enter with a different exam board where I feel I'll do better

Have you considered asking your college to enter you for the exam board you want? Just because they use AQA doesn't mean they can't enter you for Edexcel.
Reply 5
Both. You will have two GCSEs.

OH THanks! If I got a D in AQA English but a B with Edexcel for example am I allowed to just say that I have a B in English
Reply 6
They won't because they just want us to get a C and they are teaching the content for one exam board.

Have you considered asking your college to enter you for the exam board you want? Just because they use AQA doesn't mean they can't enter you for Edexcel.
Reply 7
Original post by Datalwo
OH THanks! If I got a D in AQA English but a B with Edexcel for example am I allowed to just say that I have a B in English

In terms of what? For a UCAS application you are supposed to declare everything - even those you've failed. Would they check? I doubt it. For everything else then yeah, you could just use your highest grade
Reply 8
Original post by Datalwo
They won't because they just want us to get a C and they are teaching the content for one exam board.

Ah, okay. What about but if you offered to pay? They might enter you for both. That way if there is a clash you would just sit one paper after the other
Reply 9
In terms of what? For a UCAS application you are supposed to declare everything - even those you've failed. Would they check? I doubt it. For everything else then yeah, you could just use your highest grade

Ah I see, thanks very much. :smile:
You can't do it. If they are both GCSEs then they will almost certainly be scheduled at the same time. If you are taking the same subject twice and it clashes then you are specifically NOT allowed to move one and take it when you've finished the other,
It's likely they'll clash however if you do want to do that then maybe try out CIE iGCSE English Language as iGCSE tends to be earlier than GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
You can't do it. If they are both GCSEs then they will almost certainly be scheduled at the same time. If you are taking the same subject twice and it clashes then you are specifically NOT allowed to move one and take it when you've finished the other,

Original post by DamnDaniel2
It's likely they'll clash however if you do want to do that then maybe try out CIE iGCSE English Language as iGCSE tends to be earlier than GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of taking the Edexcel IGCSE English Language B which is 100% exam - no coursework.
Original post by Datalwo
I was thinking of taking the Edexcel IGCSE English Language B which is 100% exam - no coursework.

In that case it's in January whereas the one your school is entering you for a GCSE which will be in November. That's entirely possible.
Reply 14
Original post by Compost
In that case it's in January whereas the one your school is entering you for a GCSE which will be in November. That's entirely possible.

Thank you for clarifying
You need to find an exam centre where you can sit the exam. Is your college a UK sixth form? The exam centre might want a letter from your college agreeing you can sit it.

Quick Reply

Latest