The Student Room Group

84 UMS average for Maths A-Level, good enough for Cambridge?

I've heard you need a 95 UMS average in Maths, my C4 was in the 60s so I'm retaking that. However, my average was an 84 only. Is that good enough or is that too low and should I just not bother applying...
Reply 1
Go for it. Retake C4 this year. As long as C4 was the only one you messed up you should be fine. People sometimes have bad days.
Original post by amelienine
I've heard you need a 95 UMS average in Maths, my C4 was in the 60s so I'm retaking that. However, my average was an 84 only. Is that good enough or is that too low and should I just not bother applying...

It's a really good grade, but you've got consider the context. Cambridge is the best maths school in the U.K and everyone that's going to be seriously considered is pretty much going to have 90UMS>.

You'd be predicted an A with that too, while others would be predicted A*. I think you can apply for nearly any other red brick for maths though.
Reply 3
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's a really good grade, but you've got consider the context. Cambridge is the best maths school in the U.K and everyone that's going to be seriously considered is pretty much going to have 90UMS>.

You'd be predicted an A with that too, while others would be predicted A*. I think you can apply for nearly any other red brick for maths though.

I'm applying for the economics course, but i know maths is pretty important for that too.
I'm applying for the economics course, but i know maths is pretty important for that too.

I see. What are your predicted/achieved grades overall with UMS marks?
Reply 5
I see. What are your predicted/achieved grades overall with UMS marks?

What do you mean by achieved grades overall? Like across all subjects?

My maths teacher is predicting me an A* for Maths, I think I'd likely get an A in Further Maths.
What do you mean by achieved grades overall? Like across all subjects?

My maths teacher is predicting me an A* for Maths, I think I'd likely get an A in Further Maths.

I meant it as if you had already completed any A Levels. What's your third subject's UMS mark?
Reply 7
I meant it as if you had already completed any A Levels. What's your third subject's UMS mark?

Well I took Maths A-Level, AS Economics and AS Psychology in Year 12. Economics and Psychology don't have UMS marks. I'm doing 4 full A-Levels in total. Doing the full FM A-Level this year.
Reply 8

An 84 average in Maths *is* low for Economics, one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge.

What was your module-by-module Maths UMS? If you have 1 or maybe 2 rogue modules you might be OK.

And you will have the Economics Admissions Assessment to potentially strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I took Maths A-Level, AS Economics and AS Psychology in Year 12. Economics and Psychology don't have UMS marks. I'm doing 4 full A-Levels in total. Doing the full FM A-Level this year.

Nice. So what are your overall predictions? Also, having good GCSEs would likely help sway the odds to your favour a bit.
Original post by jneill
An 84 average in Maths *is* low for Economics, one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge.

What was your module-by-module UMS?For all your AS subjects, if they have UMS?

And you will have the Economics Admissions Assessment to potentially strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I think I've told you before, but I'm starting to rethink my Cambridge Application...
So, C1=97, C2=93, C3=83, C4=64, M1=87, S1=80.
Reply 11
Also, having good GCSEs would likely help sway the odds to your favour a bit.

Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice. So what are your overall predictions? Also, having good GCSEs would likely help sway the odds to your favour a bit.

I didn't take GCSE but I got the equivalent of an 4A*5A (9 subjects are standard)
A*A*AA. A* in Maths and Econs
Reply 13
Hi, I think I've told you before, but I'm starting to rethink my Cambridge Application...
So, C1=97, C2=93, C3=83, C4=64, M1=87, S1=80.

Did you ask the Admissions Tutor? He will provide your best answer...

From the above I'd say you will probably be unsuccessful, but he will give you the best advice.

Edit to add:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946
Ask an Admissions Tutor X: 20 September -15 October

Include all the relevant info when you post to get the best advice. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't take GCSE but I got the equivalent of an 4A*5A (9 subjects are standard)
A*A*AA. A* in Maths and Econs

Okay. I think you have a salvageable chance that means it's worth applying. Just consider that there is a good probability of rejection.
Okay. I think you have a salvageable chance that means it's worth applying. Just consider that there is a good probability of rejection.

Would you think I had a better chance at Oxford instead? I know they don't look at UMS anyway..
Would you think I had a better chance at Oxford instead? I know they don't look at UMS anyway..

Probably not. I think economics and finance there might be the most competitive course they offer. I would still apply to Cambridge if I were you, you have a good chance of getting an interview - there, you could try and impress the admissions tutors enough to a point that they may consider giving you an offer.
Probably not. I think economics and finance there might be the most competitive course they offer. I would still apply to Cambridge if I were you, you have a good chance of getting an interview - there, you could try and impress the admissions tutors enough to a point that they may consider giving you an offer.

Have you ever heard of a person getting in with an 84 UMS? :/ Should I not risk it and just apply somewhere else?
Have you ever heard of a person getting in with an 84 UMS? :/ Should I not risk it and just apply somewhere else?

Well, I generally only know 2 successful Cambridge applicants, but that's for NatSci. Thing is, it's only 1 option on your UCAS form. You have 4 other options. I mean, LSE, UCL and Warwick are the next best choices for Economics, so pick 2 of them, pick Cambridge, pick 2 decent RG unis.

Sorted.
Reply 19

Please read my replies and then ask the Admissions Tutor. He is very experienced and will give you the advice you need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending